Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door and entry zappers

Options
  • 03-12-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi

We are living in great apartment love it problem is the management agent is in a row with the land lord and god knows what will not give us more zappers since mine went throught he washing machine months ago it was fine in summer but sick of standing outside freezing and climbing over walls now so need to get copys.

Any where we can get copies any tips appreciated.
    The landlord and agent have each other in court could be years and we are the cheese in the sandwich, so any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Is there a company logo on the fob?

If so your best bet may to get in touch with the company itself and see if you can get one through them.

It might cost a bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Your issue is with your landlord. All you can do is continue to chase your landlord to provide you with a new zapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kathy2

The land lord to be fair would get them if he could but this stand off is not going to end any time soon as the land lord owes management fees going back a few years and cant pay them. I can understand no one has any money so need another solution
    Any help appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There really isn't another solution, the landlord is the only person who can give you access, particularly the door fob which doesn't have buttons.

As for climbing over the walls, you are potentially damaging management company property so beware of that, the walls are not your own and indeed belong to the MC.

You need to put pressure on your landlord to sort out your access issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Are you looking for a free one or have you offered to pay? Is this the first time you've lost them or have you had to get more before? In my lease if I lose / break the key fob I've to pay about €60 euro to replace it.

From a technical point of view, they are normally just some form of RFID card that submits a code on one of about 4 frequencies. Find the frequency, get a reader for that frequency you can find the code from one that works and then write that to a new key fob that transmits on the frequency.

EDIT: Missed that your LL is behind on fees. In that case there's nothing much you can do. Personally if I found out my LL was behind in fees and I was losing services because of it, I'd just move (or ask for a significant rent decrease which would probably be denied)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You damaged your zapper so expect to pay for a new one. 60 - 80 euro is about typical. 80 would be the very highest realy I reckon

Climbing wall and standing outside is just not good enough

If you've offered to pay for a replacement and you're getting nowhere now well you'll be in the same situation in January. Issues get stalled over Christmas.

And now you've paid even more rent

Go to the landlord and tell them straight you want a new zapper and this messing is affecting you.

December and January are awful months for letting flats so the landlord need to concentrate and work out a solution with the management agent
    Otherwise this could drag on to next summer and you'll be superfit from your climbing and scrambling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

The button remote if 433mhz could be cloned if you had access to another working remote. check gateremote.ie €25. The other one is RFID I think and you will have to get that off the management company i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You can buy clones on eBay for cheap, get a loan of a working one and point it at the clone press a button on each and it learns the command.

kathy2 wrote: »
    The land lord to be fair would get them if he could but this stand off is not going to end any time soon as the land lord owes management fees going back a few years and cant pay them.

Can't or won't pay??? He ownes the management fees and must pay them.

It is up to the landlord to provide you with keys/fobs and access. It is his issue to sort out. All you can do is continue to hassle the landlord to resolve your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

The land lord to be fair would get them if he could but this stand off is not going to end any time soon as the land lord owes management fees going back a few years and cant pay them. I can understand no one has any money so need another solution
    Any help appreciated

As long as you keep paying your rent the landlord wont be too woried about your zapper. He has a legal obligation to pay the management charge so I have no sympathy for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Any help appreciated

AFAIK as I know the LL only has to provide you with one set of keys/access implements, I think the posters on here odds_on or djimi know more about this than I do.

If you lost or damaged the fob it's up to you, not the LL to replace them. You'll need to find a company that clones these keyfobs and get them to create a new one from you

also read this thread from boards, it gives you an answer already without needing to start a new thread - you'd have been a lot quicker just using the search function

AFAIK as I know the LL only has to provide you with one set of keys/access implements.

If you lost or damaged the fob it's up to you, not the LL to replace them.

Because they are supposed to be secure, it is up to the LL to replace them, but any cost can be passed on to the tenant for replacements.

The LL simply has to buy them from the management agent, but the management agent only has an obligation to provide them, if management fees are paid up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Paulw wrote: »
    Because they are supposed to be secure, it is up to the LL to replace them, but any cost can be passed on to the tenant for replacements.

The LL simply has to buy them from the management agent, but the management agent only has an obligation to provide them, if management fees are paid up.

That means the Op is well and truly up the brown creek unless they contact the management crowd directly and persuade them to sell them the new fob

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its pretty difficult to copy most RFID cards used on doors. Near impossible tbh. I think most of you are confusing basic IR door remotes with RFID tags. Each tag is unique, in order to clone in you have to get a device that is capable of both reading and writing the radio frequency of the original card to a new writable card. Most cards on the market are pre-written to avoid this problem. And since their are a huge number of different standards, card types and proprietary protocols, you would want a very good understanding of electronics and a couple of days time to figure out how to copy the tag you have now.

That means the Op is well and truly up the brown creek unless they contact the management crowd directly and persuade them to sell them the new fob

The management agent has no obligation towards the OP. The OP only has recourse via the landlord. So, all the OP can do is chase and hassle the landlord until they get a replacement fob.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Paulw wrote: »
    The management agent has no obligation towards the OP. The OP only has recourse via the landlord. So, all the OP can do is chase and hassle the landlord until they get a replacement fob.

+1. The landlord must provide a replacement fob. It's unfortunate for the OP in this situation - I have seen a similar case before - but the onus is on the landlord to resolve the matter with the management agent. Management service fees cover various things, including access and use of the common areas of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

OP, do you know any of your neighbours? Why don't you just get one of them to ask for a new zapper (they can say they lost theirs) and you give them the money to pay for it? I'm sure if you explain your situation to your neighbour they wouldn't mind obliging...

Advertisement