Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading to Oz in the new year :)

Options
  • 03-12-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Me and a mate are taking the plunge and heading out to Oz (Perth) late Feb/ early March!

Just thought I'd start a thread to see if there is anyone else on here in the same boat.

We're going in pretty blind so all words of wisdom and advice is very welcome,

Thanks guys :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Im going out in january man, im trying to get everything sorted in advance, things you need to do..

Get a copy of your birth cert (good to have like)

Get a copy of any college degrees or certs for proof of doing it for work purposes

Try and get your white card (if your doing labouring or construction work) before you go over as it would be easier to secure work with it and dont have to pay out over there, i did mine a few days ago

Get to know the place, look at google and streetview, i hate going to a city without knowing anything about the place..thats how u lose money and get lost!

I might sound a bit mad but its the type of things you need to e looking at if your moving for work

some job websites:

www.seek.com.au
    www.westjobs.com.au

hope i have been of some help!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭butters.scotch

Heading in end of Jan, nothing booked yet though!

Heading in end of Jan, nothing booked yet though!

Id book as soon as possible! prices for visas are going up after january 1st and flights are only going higher!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 minsbarron

Why Perth? Its so expensive with all the Miners flying in & flying out.

Dave 27 is right. Scan everything up to your email account, copy visa confirmation, copy passports, drivers licence, health insurance, college certificates, references, etc. If your renting at home, be sure to get a letter from the Landlord. That will stand you in good stead trying to rent out here for the first time.

Make sure you bring plenty of money to get you set up. It's fair costly paying over 1 month's rent in advance as well as 1 month's rent as your bond. We spent close to $5k in the first week here getting ourselves established. Don't be afraid to apply for jobs in February & let all the agencies know when you will be arriving & they'll encourage you to get in touch with them once you arrive. They'll want to meet you before they put you forward for any jobs, just incase your "not well presented".

What kinda work will you be looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

dave 27 wrote: »
    Im going out in january man, im trying to get everything sorted in advance, things you need to do..

Get a copy of your birth cert (good to have like)

Get a copy of any college degrees or certs for proof of doing it for work purposes

Try and get your white card (if your doing labouring or construction work) before you go over as it would be easier to secure work with it and dont have to pay out over there, i did mine a few days ago

Get to know the place, look at google and streetview, i hate going to a city without knowing anything about the place..thats how u lose money and get lost!

I might sound a bit mad but its the type of things you need to e looking at if your moving for work

some job websites:

www.seek.com.au
    www.westjobs.com.au

hope i have been of some help!

how do you get your white card before you go ??
    is it done online ?

im goin in jan , would be handy to have it sorted before i go if possible !!

cheers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

open up a bank account in the first 6 weeks also,its a lot harder after that

NIALL D wrote: »
    how do you get your white card before you go ??
    is it done online ?

im goin in jan , would be handy to have it sorted before i go if possible !!

cheers ;)

I was actually very lucky. I went to the jobs expo in the rds a couple months ago and although I didnt find it great i noticed the white card advert there..their website is here

http://trainingstars.com.au/

I was extremely lucky tho as they were only in Dublin for one day which fas friday the 30th so im not sure if they will be back before you go away but def worth an email to them.

Lads does anyone have any good recruitment agencies for construction? I will be also going to perth in january

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jbpc

minsbarron wrote: »
    Why Perth? Its so expensive with all the Miners flying in & flying out.

Dave 27 is right. Scan everything up to your email account, copy visa confirmation, copy passports, drivers licence, health insurance, college certificates, references, etc. If your renting at home, be sure to get a letter from the Landlord. That will stand you in good stead trying to rent out here for the first time.

Make sure you bring plenty of money to get you set up. It's fair costly paying over 1 month's rent in advance as well as 1 month's rent as your bond. We spent close to $5k in the first week here getting ourselves established. Don't be afraid to apply for jobs in February & let all the agencies know when you will be arriving & they'll encourage you to get in touch with them once you arrive. They'll want to meet you before they put you forward for any jobs, just incase your "not well presented".

What kinda work will you be looking for?

Thanks for all advice guys, much appreciated :)

I'm heading to Perth as my mate has a cousin living there who we plan to stay with for the 1st few weeks over there.

Work wise I'm open to anything really. Ive got a masters in accounting but no practical experience in that field so not sure what my prospects are with that. My work experience up to now is in tourism and retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 minsbarron

Well at least you have a place to crash until you get on your feet, that's good. Shelling out for a hostel as well as putting down a month's rent in advance & a bond on a place can be expensive!

Well just hit the ground running so. Get your bank a/c, sim card & tfn sorted the day you arrive. Give them the address your staying at. Surely the cousin will let you know if mail arrives & will forward it to you when you do get on your feet.

As I said, apply for jobs before you leave & let agencies know when you'll be arriving. Once you get your sim sorted, start phoning the agencies & making appointments with them to pop in. Carry your passport & visa with you as agencies need a copy of them on their file. Don't forget to update your CV with your oz number as agencies WILL NOT phone Irish mobiles. I'm in Melbourne & there's plenty of jobs in retail at the moment with the Xmas rush. Don't know how the market will be after Xmas though. Coles & Woolworths (our Tesco & Dunnes) are always hiring if you're really struggling.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

You can open your bank a/c online, pretty sure the links to the various banks are in the FAQ's. Let them know when you intend to arrive and arrange a date with them to call in so you can verify your identity anf they will have your cards and pin no. ready for you to collect. having the a/c open before you leave is very handy as you can transfer funds to the a/c before leaving Ireland and will have instant access once you collect your cards, also use currencyfair.com for transfering your money, if you do a search for it on here you can see what others think of it.
    as for the white card just google white card online induction but dont pay anymore than $60aus for it and that is probably to much, use your mates cousins address and it will be there when you arrive. not sure if you can apply for a TFN before you enter the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭butters.scotch

Right, I'm going on the 29th of January. Flying into Melbourne. Cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

sponge_bob wrote: »
    You can open your bank a/c online, pretty sure the links to the various banks are in the FAQ's. Let them know when you intend to arrive and arrange a date with them to call in so you can verify your identity anf they will have your cards and pin no. ready for you to collect. having the a/c open before you leave is very handy as you can transfer funds to the a/c before leaving Ireland and will have instant access once you collect your cards, also use currencyfair.com for transfering your money, if you do a search for it on here you can see what others think of it.
    as for the white card just google white card online induction but dont pay anymore than $60aus for it and that is probably to much, use your mates cousins address and it will be there when you arrive. not sure if you can apply for a TFN before you enter the country.

hi
    which is the best site to use to get the white card which allows you to work in construction in new south wales , heading to sydney in about 4 weeks , would be ideal to have it done before i go ..
    i can give my brothers address in sydney if it has to be done that way !!??

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Most other people have covered everything you need to know and the only thing ill add is if you dont have a drivers licence, get one now ! I have a provisional irish licence and it has hindered my chances of getting a job a number of times.

In western australia you have to hold a L1 licence for 6months then go for the test. You cant drive unaccompanied, this is strictly enforced unlike Ireland where you can get away with it. If they catch you you get a fine and lose the licence. Im luckly(-is) in that im over 25 and only have to wait 3months on the L's in Victoria and am exempt in NSW from a waiting period but in Queensland, where i was you have to wait 1 year !! Also depending on your age you may have to complete a logbook showing you've done 100hours (queenland, differs depending on state)

Initially i was given a P2 licence from my provisional licence which is almost the equivalent to a full drivers licence. They discovered their mistake 5days later and it was cancelled :)

A Pain in the ass is what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Australia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

Hi there the best of luck to both of ya.get out of this hell hole and don't come back.ill tell you a story about the good old Ireland I had a very good job back in the boom times. it was a good job but the money was just ok. I worked for 15 years with the same company I was an A/V engineer. I done all the big niteclubs and bars all over Ireland then the bust came nobody wanted to know. nobody gave a **** I payed my tax.prsi.and the new charge they slapped on us a few years back. I went to the dole looking for support they gave me the run around for weeks just to be told I was only going to be getting 56.40 a week to live off. Listen the way I see it you go and make your fortune tell no one your business there's a lot of begrugers out there. Ireland for at least the next 15 to 20 years is finished. If it wasn't for my mother being so sick I would be gone tomorrow as soon as my mother kicks the bucket I am out of here I know I must seem like a callus prick but life is hard you take it by the balls and squeeze every penny out of it and enjoy your life while your young as your a long time dead .... Here end of the lesson Steven Dublin north inner city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Hi there the best of luck to both of ya.get out of this hell hole and don't come back.ill tell you a story about the good old Ireland I had a very good job back in the boom times. it was a good job but the money was just ok. I worked for 15 years with the same company I was an A/V engineer. I done all the big niteclubs and bars all over Ireland then the bust came nobody wanted to know. nobody gave a **** I payed my tax.prsi.and the new charge they slapped on us a few years back. I went to the dole looking for support they gave me the run around for weeks just to be told I was only going to be getting 56.40 a week to live off. Listen the way I see it you go and make your fortune tell no one your business there's a lot of begrugers out there. Ireland for at least the next 15 to 20 years is finished. If it wasn't for my mother being so sick I would be gone tomorrow as soon as my mother kicks the bucket I am out of here I know I must seem like a callus prick but life is hard you take it by the balls and squeeze every penny out of it and enjoy your life while your young as your a long time dead .... Here end of the lesson Steven Dublin north inner city

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Mate I'm sorry you've had a sh1t run of luck but if you do end coming to Oz, I'd say leave the self-pity at home. Nothing p1sses Aussies off like people moaning about their lot in life......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Mate I'm sorry you've had a sh1t run of luck but if you do end coming to Oz, I'd say leave the self-pity at home. Nothing p1sses Aussies off like people moaning about their lot in life......
    Yeah, it distracts them from complaining about boat people, muslims, and the carbon tax!:D

Well guys Ive just took the first step along the way. Applied for the WHV and less than 2 hours later...GRANTED. Pure buzzin' now, can't wait to get over now :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 elleA

I spent 6 months in Oz this year. Home now until March bit can't wait to get back over!! I echo all the advice above..make sure to get bank account and tax file number sorted ASAP so you can work. Randstad are one of the biggest employment agencies in Perth (not sure about rest of Oz) and they recruit for construction, teaching etc. http://www.randstad.com.au/ They're professional and reliable. You will have to go for a meet + greet type interview first so they get to know you and run through your paperwork etc.

Perth is a brilliant place to go. I'm dying to get back although the city itself is more a business district than a social hub...Northbridge on a Sat night is great fun though! :) Anywhere along the Fremantle (Freo) to Perth train line is great to live... Expensive but worth it! Best beaches in the world..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can you apply for a TFN before going? Or do you need to be in the country first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Need to be in country for TFN.

Small bit of packing advise...bring your laptop! I read a forum before i left and the number one thing people get sent over after they leave is their laptop. You have no idea how much you need it til you're job and house hunting over here.

Firstly, does anyone know the situation with the WHV? I've been granted it and received the email but should I expect anything sent to my in the post or is all I need is copy of application/email.

Secondly, when booking flights what website is the best to book with and what route is the best option??

Jbpc wrote: »
    Secondly, when booking flights what website is the best to book with and what route is the best option??
    The best way is first class and preferably via Japan for some wacky fun or Thailand if you're into ladyboys. Personally if I had the time I'd take the cruise via Hawaii and the Panama canal.

Seriously, if you looked at the current forum page before posting you'd have seen this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056428105

catbear wrote: »
    Seriously, if you looked at the current forum page before posting you'd have seen this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056428105

yeah I saw it but since I started this thread I decided to post it in here

yeah I saw it but since I started this thread I decided to post it in here
    Good for you, well done.

catbear wrote: »
    Good for you, well done.

ok thx for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jtmk3

Me and a mate are taking the plunge and heading out to Oz (Perth) late Feb/ early March!

Just thought I'd start a thread to see if there is anyone else on here in the same boat.

We're going in pretty blind so all words of wisdom and advice is very welcome,

Thanks guys :D

Hi Jbpc,

How are your plans for Australia going? I'm heading to Perth in March also, on a WHV. I travelling through Asia on the way, hoping to see a bit of Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. Bit sorry now that I'm doing so much travelling on the way, as I didn't realise how expensive Perth is going to be. Hopefully Ill get a job, as I don't think my savings will last very long!
    Have you had any look finding a job or a place to stay?

John.

jtmk3 wrote: »
    Hi Jbpc,

How are your plans for Australia going? I'm heading to Perth in March also, on a WHV. I travelling through Asia on the way, hoping to see a bit of Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. Bit sorry now that I'm doing so much travelling on the way, as I didn't realise how expensive Perth is going to be. Hopefully Ill get a job, as I don't think my savings will last very long!
    Have you had any look finding a job or a place to stay?

John.

It's going great man, just booked my flights, heading over Feb 14th. Can't wait now, really looking forward to it. Plan on staying with my mates cousin for the initial period and then get the regional work out of the way.:D:D:D
    Any luck with jobs or accommodation yourself??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭newuser89

I am flying in to perth next thursday the 10th
    have a job lined up in the mines thanks to my brother
    starting the 17th of january

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 jtmk3

It's going great man, just booked my flights, heading over Feb 14th. Can't wait now, really looking forward to it. Plan on staying with my mates cousin for the initial period and then get the regional work out of the way.:D:D:D
    Any luck with jobs or accommodation yourself??

Hey man, yea I'm fairly well sorted with the flight, accommodation and all that stuff, but no luck with a job. I have booked a hostel n Perth for the first 2 weeks and hope to have a place to live (for a few months) by then, then full focus on job-hunting.
    Very handy having a place to crash, will save you a bucket load in rent. Any luck with jobs yourself?

Advertisement