Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies

• 03-12-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Is there anybody who took the MA in Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies?? How was the experience??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Yavahnna

Here's my experience in case someone is thinking of doing that program. If you go to an interview they will try to convince you it's the best program, but is not. The choice of elective courses is limited, actually you dont have a choice because they offer just one in UL, the other elective modules are in NUI Galway, which are way more interesting. But, if your budget is limited or simply you want to stay near this is not an option.
    I'm taking this program because I wanted to learn more about Comparative Literature, because my primary degree is another thing, which slightly touches literature but not so deep. So, I came here looking forward to learn new things, when I was accepted I thought it was because I had all that was required, they saw my transcript, they now my academic background... None of the things I was expecting to learn were taught like techniques, theories, approaches to the topics. So when it comes to do homework like papers and presentations the students dont know what to do, because they've never worked with those theories and theoretical approaches before, because of their academic backgrounds like I said before, and the lecturers dont explain a thing.On top of that, I know that an MA is a lot of work, but the work here is excessive, sometimes imposible to achieve if you want to make it good.
    One of the modules which is supposed to compare and discussed the discourse techniques and theories, basically is a History class, it focuses more on historical facts that comparative literature.
    Some lecturers are like politicians, you ask something but they skip it, play with words and you dont receive an answer to your questions. Now, I have to recognize that there are some few that are really good to students, they really help you, and they understand the ridiculous amount of work.
    I'm aware that you should have a previous preparation when you decide to do an MA. In my case having a bit of knowledge in the discipline and taking in consideration that you just need a primary degree with first or second class honours in basically anything like : art, media, languages, cultural studies, literature, communications and media, etc.. I thought this is good, because they know Im no expert and I will have the chance to learn new things and improve what I already know, but they think all students are experts in the materia and thats why some of them barely teach the essential things you need in order to be able to do your work. If I dont have what it takes to be completed, why they accepted me?

This is my experience . I would like to know if people from past years went through the same situations or had problems in this program.

Advertisement