Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-op Office :mad:

Options
  • 03-12-2012 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

Whilst I am no longer a current UL student, as an Alumni I like to give back to UL, as I had a fantastic time there [in spite of my ranking in the daily bitch thread ;) ].

So as a manager, and with permission of my boss, it was with great excitement that I contacted UL's co-op office and foreign placement office back in August in the hope of recruiting at least 3 students for the Jan - Sept 2013 placement period. Whilst I know it was short notice for UL, I would have thought that they'd be jumping at the opportunity to provide another place of employment for students.

But as with everything in that office, the contact people were out of office at the time, but I was kindly helped and directed to the appropriate online forms, and duly filled them out on August 23rd.

Since then I had received NO word or reply until last Friday at 4:26pm [too late for them to reply to me response that day, and I've had to wait all weekend for a response which didn't come today either]. A lovely email was sent to me, thanking me for my interest in the co-op programme, and in order to facilitate me, I was to complete and submit an online form, THE SAME FORMS I had filled out back in August.

This really really pissed my off, and to be honest it has put me off dealing with the co-op office. I made a point of telling them [nicely] that I had already done what was being asked of me.
    If this is how they treat companies who want to attain students, it's no wonder that so many students have problems getting co-op in the first place.

They appear to be a mess. I mean it took months to get a reply, and then the reply asked me to do what I'd done 3 months earlier, it's so god damn frustrating.

It's probably too late at this stage for foreign placement in January now, as may have been the case in August, but I would like to have had an opportunity to interview a few students or discover the entire process at the time.

/Rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Listen up people who are due to go on co-op next semester but don't have something lined up yet.

Mossin has kindly/unwittingly mentioned that there could be a co-op opportunity in January.

Go PM him! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

So eh any chance of co-op in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

It'd be international co-op, and as I don't know all the procedures, due to UL's ineptitude, I don't think I can bring students over now, but PM me a CV or an email address, and I'll chat with you there about it.
    Maybe you guys will know more about getting international co-op than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Mossin wrote: »
    It'd be international co-op, and as I don't know all the procedures, due to UL's ineptitude, I don't think I can bring students over now, but PM me a CV or an email address, and I'll chat with you there about it.
    Maybe you guys will know more about getting international co-op than I do.

What type of position is it available?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

yesno1234 wrote: »
    What type of position is it available?

See below
    Mossin wrote: »
    but PM me a CV or an email address, and I'll chat with you there about it.

I didn't come on this forum to advertise a job, I came to rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Ive began to accept the fact that im not going to get co op in january..

4-5 out of 12 need places, the rest went to schools and so far there's been 2 interviewed.

We got an email about unpaid co op in spain last monday. 2 of us responded looking for more info saying we'd be interested.. no response yet.. Youd imagine they'd give you time to get organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

TBF that no excuses for the Coop office to not get in contact with him until last Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bookofstones

I completed co-op three years ago and the office was a joke then.. I mentioned it to people who did co-op nearly 20 years ago at the time and they said it was even worse back in their day.. Hearing the same issues now makes me wonder will it ever sort itself out..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Over the few years i've been here I have heard bad stories about them but its not until I actually came to co-op I realised just how bad they are.I was lucky to end up dealing with the manager for my course rather than the placement officer so that helped alot and she was really helpful to me. But the co-op office is a diffrent story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pinkdiamond

I organised my own placement when I was in third year and was told to fill in a heap of forms too. The next week I got an email saying I wasn't allowed graduate because I didn't hand in the appropriate forms. I rang them to tell them that I did and I was continuously told that I didn't until they finally admitted to losing them. There was many other occurrences throughout my placement where the coop office drove me crazy with their pure incompetence.

You would have a much better chance of hiring students by advertising the jobs on jobs.ie. The majority of students find the jobs themselves anyway, and it will show the students that have initiative. The CoOp office only served to cause me heartache and are an absolute waste of money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement