Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1800watt Heater, size cable needed

Options
  • 03-12-2012 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi, I want to wire an 1800w outdoor heater, what size cable/wire shpld I use?
    Also I will be wiring through a PIR, Ihave a new 1000w rated pir, will I get away with this or should I go get one with a higher rating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

not sure this job is for you but to answer your question
    3x2.5 nymj cable should suit
    you should put a contactor in (switched by the pir)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As meercat has said the PIR is not rated for a load this large. Not many would be. Normal practice would be to get the PIR to switch a suitably rated contractor.

3 x 2.5 mm sq. NYMJ is the minimum sized able that will suit. A long cable run will require a larger size. Remember this cable type is not UV rated so it can only be used outdoors if suitably protected from the sun (in conduit for example).

2011 wrote: »
    suitably rated contractor.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

meercat wrote: »
    :D

Will it be a registered contactor?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Will it be a registered contactor?

that would be suitable;)

• Advertisement

There is too much laughing and joking going on. This is a serious forum:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Just a few points:
    1) As work is thin on the ground for electrical contractors I think that any work that I try to drum up for those concerned should be appreciated.
    2) I do the jokes around here :D

2011 wrote: »
    2) I do the jokes around here :D

Ive been saying that for years:pac:

I think I must point out the difference between contractor and contactor, on the slight off chance you missed it:)

Advertisement