Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coeliac cafes & restaurants in Sligo

Options
  • 03-12-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I co-run the foodie blog Sligo Bites and want to compile a directory of places in Sligo that cater to special diets. I was wondering if anyone could recommend places that cater to coeliacs? I already have vegan and vegetarian places covered. If you could make any recommendations it'd be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hi all, I co-run the foodie blog Sligo Bites and want to compile a directory of places in Sligo that cater to special diets. I was wondering if anyone could recommend places that cater to coeliacs? I already have vegan and vegetarian places covered. If you could make any recommendations it'd be much appreciated!

Both Buena Vista in Strandhill, and Henrys just past Rathcormic have Coeliac dishes on their Menus. Have tried a friends Coeliac free dish in both, tasted no different to the regular dish that I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

I'm nearly certain Yeats Tavern have a coeliac menu too, though it needs to be asked for. It's not automatically handed out with the main menus. They've only a few of them I think, not as many printed as the main menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

Thanks for this thread - my husband can't have gluten amongst other things and it's a nightmare to eat out. Most people don't understand how a bit of gluten can have my husband doubled over in pain within hours - they think its a bit of a tummy upset :(. The only place we go to on a regular bases is the cafe Osta which do great gluten free cakes and a lovely bacon, maple syrup and pancake dish. We've actually gone to cafes and explained that he can't have gluten so then they go and provide a gluten free dish only to find its contaminated with products that contain gluten - they just don't get it - I think to some people its a fad or like being vegetarian.
    http://www.osta.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I think Bistro offer Gluten Free options on their menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

scoob70 wrote: »
    Thanks for this thread - my husband can't have gluten amongst other things and it's a nightmare to eat out. Most people don't understand how a bit of gluten can have my husband doubled over in pain within hours - they think its a bit of a tummy upset :(. The only place we go to on a regular bases is the cafe Osta which do great gluten free cakes and a lovely bacon, maple syrup and pancake dish. We've actually gone to cafes and explained that he can't have gluten so then they go and provide a gluten free dish only to find its contaminated with products that contain gluten - they just don't get it - I think to some people its a fad or like being vegetarian.
    http://www.osta.ie/

Well I'll be sure to let you know when I've compiled the blog post! I once read an article on thejournal.ie with some nasty comments where people didn't think it was a big deal! A friend of mine also recommended Lyons Cafe and Eala Bhan which offers gluten free bread with some of their dishes that they can make coeliac friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Grappa do gluten free baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

I once read an article on thejournal.ie with some nasty comments where people didn't think it was a big deal!
    - wow I appreciate people can't know about all conditions but to 'not think its a big deal' because they don't understand it and it doesn't affect them or anyone they know is the worst kind of ignorance. Thanks for offering to let me know once you've complied the blog tho. Oh and I've included a link - just in case anyones interested.;)

http://www.umm.edu/celiac/celiac_facts.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Davis' restaurant has just the one menu with gluten free dishes labelled. There is no separate menu. It's probably the most comprehensive in Sligo too

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bichon Lover

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Davis' restaurant has just the one menu with gluten free dishes labelled. There is no separate menu. It's probably the most comprehensive in Sligo too

Langs in Grange also identifies dishes which are suitable for coeliacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

If you're interested in take away food, I believe pizza hut are now doing gluten free pizza's, with separate prep area and all to avoid cross contamination, domino's are supposed to be launching gluten free bases soon, and the take away on The Mall, cant think of the name, keep their chips separate from battered foods to keep them gluten free, whether they actually state its gluten free I'm not too sure, my wife is a coeliac and has awful bother finding cafe's in particular that cater for this, very hard to find somewhere to have a light snack while in town, O'Hehirs are beyond hope, one of the girls turned her nose up when asked about it!

Bella Vista is my wife's preferred restaurant at the moment, loves the food there, I quite like their Aussie Burger myself, and lovely staff.

• Advertisement

Spent a little while yesterday actually trying to find somewhere in town yesterday selling Gluten free cakes. Surprisingly none in O'Hares although think they are trying to start soon. Kates Kitchen did have a Gluten free section and a few cakes and biscuits at the counter.

Thought both would have had more tbh.

rizzodun wrote: »
    If you're interested in take away food, I believe pizza hut are now doing gluten free pizza's, with separate prep area and all to avoid cross contamination, domino's are supposed to be launching gluten free bases soon, and the take away on The Mall, cant think of the name, keep their chips separate from battered foods to keep them gluten free, whether they actually state its gluten free I'm not too sure, my wife is a coeliac and has awful bother finding cafe's in particular that cater for this, very hard to find somewhere to have a light snack while in town, O'Hehirs are beyond hope, one of the girls turned her nose up when asked about it!

Bella Vista is my wife's preferred restaurant at the moment, loves the food there, I quite like their Aussie Burger myself, and lovely staff.

Does that include cooking in a separate oil. Friend is Coeliac and finds this a problem some times on a night out or if eating in restaurant.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Spent a little while yesterday actually trying to find somewhere in town yesterday selling Gluten free cakes. Surprisingly none in O'Hares although think they are trying to start soon. Kates Kitchen did have a Gluten free section and a few cakes and biscuits at the counter.

Thought both would have had more tbh.

Try the Gourmet Parlor on bridge street, they do a small amount of gluten free buns, etc, but will make full cakes with a couple of days notice.

irish-stew wrote: »

Does that include cooking in a separate oil. Friend is Coeliac and finds this a problem some times on a night out or if eating in restaurant.

Yes, that's the main problem the good lady has too, but they are supposed to cook their chips in a separate oil vat, again, ask to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

rizzodun wrote: »
    Yes, that's the main problem the good lady has too, but they are supposed to cook their chips in a separate oil vat, again, ask to make sure.

My friend has to ask this too, the contamination would come from the breaded foods they would fry in the oil too.

Advertisement