Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a camper in mainland Europe

• 03-12-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Does anybody know if its possible to buy, tax and insure a campervan in another European country. I'm thinking of buying one but I have no interest in bringing it back into Ireland, I would prefer to store it on the continent during the year when not in use. Is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭porterboy

Would like to know myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Leaving caravans, boats and campers in storage in Europe is common enough but it is usually done by the Brits to save on ferry costs as they do not suffer the VRT situation we do and they do have to bring motorhomes home once a year to get them MOT'd so they can be taxed.

With a motorhome not registered here the issue of insurance could be a problem and without a residence address in 'the other country' you would probably have difficulties getting it registered there. However, this can be overcome if you have a second residence like a holiday home or mobile home, which would be a big expense to avoid the VRT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

NIE - Numero de Identidad de Extranjeros which, translated, means "Identity Number for Foreigners".
    This is required when one wishes to buy a car , scooter, caravan or motorhome in Spain.

How do I get a NIE?

In theory it's easy. All you have to do is to go to the Extranjeros department of your nearest Policia Nacional station, fill in and sign an application form, and hand it in together with a recent passport sized photo. (N.B. When you get your photo done and if you wear glasses or earrings, take them off beforehand), a photocopy of your passport and your original passport.

In practice, and depending on where you live, this should be quite straightforward. However, the Spanish Foreign Office still makes no distinction between EU-member state cititizens and other foreigners applying for the all-important NIE, so in certain places you will have to join a very long queue of immigrants in Spain seeking the same paper as you. In Alicante, for example, people are advised to start queuing at 5.00 a.m. to get their NIE, because each morning the office opens at 8.30 a.m. and gives out numbers to the first 70 people in the queue. The rest have to return and queue again the next day. In some other cities we have heard of applicants having to spend half the night outside the office in order to be well-placed in the queue when it opens. Spanish burocracy is often very exasperating and the whole experience of obtaining a NIE has been known to put some people off buying a house in Spain completely!! Our advice: arm yourself with patience and a bottle of water or flask of tea and a good book. And print this page (Reasons for living in Spain) incase you start to get desperate and need a reminder of why you are putting yourself through this. Alternatively, get a recommended Spanish lawyer to sort it out for you.

Advertisement