Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Monitor with one AMD Radeon HD 7750

Options
  • 03-12-2012 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I am looking at buying a new desktop and the graphics card that I will probably buy is the AMD Radeon HD 7750 or 7770. I want to be able to have dual monitors, though one will mainly be for using twitter, google chrome, etc.

Will I need to buy two of these graphics cards for my system or will one card be capable of running two monitors?

If yes, will I need any adapters or anything?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

One will do just fine.

Depending on what card you get and your screens, you may need to adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

AMD GPUs are all pretty much configured to support up to 3 Monitors since about the 5000 series. And yes, this includes ATI Eyefinity, a technology supported by some gaming Titles that will allow you to play some games across 2, 3, or sometimes more monitors. A 7770 is a good performance card, though if I was doing it all again I'd go for the series-850 or 870. I currently have 2 5770s that will chew through pretty much anything, but in doing so I note it would have been more economical to buy one higher-end card than 2 770s

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Overheal wrote: »
    AMD GPUs are all pretty much configured to support up to 3 Monitors since about the 5000 series. And yes, this includes ATI Eyefinity, a technology supported by some gaming Titles that will allow you to play some games across 2, 3, or sometimes more monitors. A 7770 is a good performance card, though if I was doing it all again I'd go for the series-850 or 870. I currently have 2 5770s that will chew through pretty much anything, but in doing so I note it would have been more economical to buy one higher-end card than 2 770s

note: to run 3 screens off most amd cards requires an active display port adapter to run that 3rd screen. passive display port adapters do not work

• Registered Users Posts: 26 markn228

Overheal wrote: »

Awesome! Thanks! I'm saving really hard for this computer and want to get it asap so I was gonna get the 7770 with it and then save for another one which I could install at a later date :) I might look into an 850 or something higher if I can afford it! Thanks for your advice!

note: to run 3 screens off most amd cards requires an active display port adapter to run that 3rd screen. passive display port adapters do not work

I'll bear that in mind if I want to go to the 3rd screen :) Thanks!

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    One will do just fine.

Depending on what card you get and your screens, you may need to adapt.

I was thinking one could connect by DVI (Blue socket cable, not sure of name) and one by HDMI, or I could use an adapter perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

markn228 wrote: »
    I was thinking one could connect by DVI (Blue socket cable, not sure of name) and one by HDMI, or I could use an adapter perhaps

Blue is VGA, white is DVI.

That setup would work perfectly. You can freely adapt down DVI to VGA if you want too :)

ED E wrote: »
    Blue is VGA, white is DVI.

That setup would work perfectly. You can freely adapt down DVI to VGA if you want too :)

Awesome :D Thanks! VGA was the one I meant XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think it would be better to get 1 7850 rather than crossfire 7770.
    You could get a motherboard that does not have crossfire, then the psu you get does not need to output as many watts.
    With the money you save there you have enough to get a 7850 when buying the new system.
    Overall it will work out cheaper and be more compatible.

tuxy wrote: »
    I think it would be better to get 1 7850 rather than crossfire 7770.
    You could get a motherboard that does not have crossfire, then the psu you get does not need to output as many watts.
    With the money you save there you have enough to get a 7850 when buying the new system.
    Overall it will work out cheaper and be more compatible.

Yeh that's quite possibly the better solution! Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement