Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus

Options
  • 03-12-2012 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

They went from 1.25 to 1.40 this year or late last year ? Roughly.

Anyway, over the weekend there they just hiked prices up to 1.65 again. I doubt they've suddenly seen a drop in fares from what I can see.
    What's the fookin story ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

and the fare is STILL subsidised. So in reality all us non-bus users are contributing to the fairly cheap fare you are paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The government has decided that more of the costs of public transport should be met by the users.

Then, payment with cash is being discouraged in favour of payment by Leap Card. You can negate the fares increase by moving to Leap Card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Victor wrote: »
    The government has decided that more of the costs of public transport should be met by the users.

Then, payment with cash is being discouraged in favour of payment by Leap Card. You can negate the fares increase by moving to Leap Card.

Is that not just paying the exact same amount through a credit type system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

MaxSteele wrote: »

Yes, but they don't have the extra cost of managing and looking after so much cash.

Plus they spent a rake of money on leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

I hate leap card, it takes the same amount of time as paying with cash as the driver still has to take the fare off it. Until it becomes a tag on/off system I will not use it.

• Advertisement

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Typical Leap Card savings are 9-15% over cash.
    sandin wrote: »
    and the fare is STILL subsidised. So in reality all us non-bus users are contributing to the fairly cheap fare you are paying.
    There are different arguments that could be made. It could be argued that car users, by not paying bus fares are detracting from public transport. Certainly cars obstruct a lot of PT.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

get a bike, invest in rain gears and anti puncture tyres and save buckets. Plus you can get off anytime you want, no wait and no service cancellation

The Leap Card is only good if you take the bus. If you are a Dart user, it cost you more to do 2 single trips using the Leap card than buying a return ticket :mad:

Nanazolie wrote: »
    The Leap Card is only good if you take the bus. If you are a Dart user, it cost you more to do 2 single trips using the Leap card than buying a return ticket :mad:
    No, Leap Card fares have been set at less than half the the price of a return fare, by 5-19%.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

get a bike, invest in rain gears and anti puncture tyres and save buckets. Plus you can get off anytime you want, no wait and no service cancellation

Bikes eh, grand as there are there are negatives to using them, not least that 3 people I know have ended up in hospital in the past six weeks due to coming off them in city centre dublin.

No, Leap Card fares have been set at less than half the the price of a return fare, by 5-19%.

Single Leap card fare: 2.50. Return normal fare: 4.70
    kippy wrote: »
    Bikes eh, grand as there are there are negatives to using them, not least that 3 people I know have ended up in hospital in the past six weeks due to coming off them in city centre dublin.

True. There are also risks with travelling by public transports or car or on foot. I've been cycling 12 years in Dublin and had no more falls than when walking (i.e. a few that only hurt my pride :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

True. There are also risks with travelling by public transports or car or on foot. I've been cycling 12 years in Dublin and had no more falls than when walking (i.e. a few that only hurt my pride :D)

I'd rather be in a cage than outside one, being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭davetherave

There is no smartcard single fare that is 2.50, nor is there an Adult return for 4.70?

Put in any two stations here and you will see that the the leap card single is less than any adult return/2.

http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=198

I took the Dart last Thursday and paid 4.70 for a return ticket. It's now 5.25€, so I guess they've already racked up the fares.
    However, when the Leap Card started earlier this year, I went to get one for my occasional trips, and the fare to my place was 2.50€, which made it dearer than the return ticket. I guess it is now worth it. The best if you are a regular user is the tax saver one, if your company allows you to pay monthly it's great

I took the Dart last Thursday and paid 4.70 for a return ticket. It's now 5.25€, so I guess they've already racked up the fares.
    However, when the Leap Card started earlier this year, I went to get one for my occasional trips, and the fare to my place was 2.50€, which made it dearer than the return ticket. I guess it is now worth it. The best if you are a regular user is the tax saver one, if your company allows you to pay monthly it's great

Cash
    Band D Adult Single was €2.50 now €2.80
    Band D Adult Return was €4.70 now €5.25

Leap
    Band D Adult Single was €2.10 now €2.30
    Band D Adult Return was €4.20 now €4.60

At some point, you must have made a Band J trip, where the Adult Single is €2.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Cash
    Band D Adult Single was €2.50 now €2.80
    Band D Adult Return was €4.70 now €5.25

Leap
    Band D Adult Single was €2.10 now €2.30
    Band D Adult Return was €4.20 now €4.60

At some point, you must have made a Band J trip, where the Adult Single is €2.50.
    Can you do a return journey on the train or dart or Luas using the leap card?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Can you do a return journey on the train or dart or Luas using the leap card?

Tag-on at origin, tag-off at destination and the same on the way back. It treat it as two separate single journeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

It's 1.80 for a bus in Cork!

Dermighty wrote: »
    It's 1.80 for a bus in Cork!
    Mostly - some routes have higher fares, e.g. the 219 is €1.80 or €2.10. That will only get you across a much smaller city, not from the next county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Does anyone know how much the prepaid Dublin Bus tickets are going to be? They won't be implemented til the new year but I bought two 30 day ramblers just in case...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Does anyone know how much the prepaid Dublin Bus tickets are going to be? They won't be implemented til the new year but I bought two 30 day ramblers just in case...

tenner increase for the 30 day rambler afaik

t90 is going from €21.50 to €25, which will drive away alot of occasional passengers.

• Advertisement

tenner increase for the 30 day rambler afaik

t90 is going from €21.50 to €25, which will drive away alot of occasional passengers.

Thank you! Although I expected nothing less, it's still crap :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jc_eire

Anyone have any idea what price the prepaid student tickets are going up on Jan 1st??? (30 days currently 86 Euro) :(

Dublin Bus Prepaid Tickets

Ticket Description Current Fare Approved Fare Approved % Increase

1-Day Adult Rambler €6.50 €6.90 6.15%
    1-Day Family Rambler €11.00 €11.50 4.55%
    3-Day Adult Rambler €14.20 €15.00 5.63%
    5-Day Adult Rambler €23.00 €25.00 8.70%

Rambler 5 Day Child €7.30 €7.50 2.74%
    Rambler 5 Day Student €17.20 €18.30 6.40%
    Rambler 30 Day Adult €115.00 €125.00 8.70%
    Rambler 30 Day Student €86.00 €91.50 6.40%

Travel 90 - Adult - 10 Journey €21.50 €25.00 16.28%
    Travel 90 Single €2.50 €2.65 6.00%
    Travel 90 - Schoolchild €7.00 €7.50 7.14%
    Travel 90 - Scholar - 10 Journey €10.50 €11.00 4.76%

Dublin Bus Prepaid Tickets

Ticket Description Current Fare Approved Fare Approved % Increase

1-Day Adult Rambler €6.50 €6.90 6.15%
    1-Day Family Rambler €11.00 €11.50 4.55%
    3-Day Adult Rambler €14.20 €15.00 5.63%
    5-Day Adult Rambler €23.00 €25.00 8.70%

Rambler 5 Day Child €7.30 €7.50 2.74%
    Rambler 5 Day Student €17.20 €18.30 6.40%
    Rambler 30 Day Adult €115.00 €125.00 8.70%
    Rambler 30 Day Student €86.00 €91.50 6.40%

Travel 90 - Adult - 10 Journey €21.50 €25.00 16.28%
    Travel 90 Single €2.50 €2.65 6.00%
    Travel 90 - Schoolchild €7.00 €7.50 7.14%
    Travel 90 - Scholar - 10 Journey €10.50 €11.00 4.76%

Thank you very kindly, yesss student rambler only up 5.50 :D

16.28% on travel 90? :eek: How can they justify this? There is no incentive for people to leave the car at home. Once you have a car, you must pay the road tax and insurance anyway, so if the petrol doesn't go up, it will eventually make sense to drive. :(

I looooooove my bike! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I looooooove my bike! :D

The price rises for me is an incentive to walk, which is no bad thing.

Number 7 Bus > Town to Cherrywood

Stop: 2040 (Side of Dun laoghaire Shopping Centre)

To> Stop: 3213 (Rochestown Ave, Killiney SC)

That journey is above €2 now, €2.15 or €2.30, I forget which, exactly.

Advertisement