Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock/Alternative club nights?

Options
  • 03-12-2012 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hey y'all.

I've been living in Cork over a year now and have noticed there is not much of an alternative scene. You know the way in Dublin they always have rock/alternative/metal club nights in venues....there doesn't seem to be anything of that sort here? It's all a bit 'skangery'. Sorry ****e word choice.
    I went to the ETID gig recently, and really enjoyed the support bands and it made me want to get more into the music scene around cork, or just even have a place to go to that plays decent music or throws a few gigs now and then.

And I've been to Fredz a few times, it just seems a bit lack lustre or something...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

It's slim pickings around here for rock bars. Fred's is the best of a small lot. There's Precher's and Iggy Rocks, which would play rock/metal stuff, but wouldn't be as we'll known for it as Fred's is.

As for the local music scene, there's a good few bands knocking about, but lately things have gotten quite. Worth keeping an eye out for gigs in Fred's. It's usually local bands that play there along with other metal bands from around the country.

Just as a matter of interest, who are ETID?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Every Time I Die.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Also keep an eye out for gigs in the Triskel and Cyprus Avenue, the Cork music scene is alive an well even if the amount of bars playing indie/rock has deminished since when I lived in the city.

I was at gigs in Cyprus Avenue saw O Emperior and they were very good and I saw Bell x 1 in the Triscal and both nights were great.

God be with the days of Henry's night club!

On another note does "Freak Scene" Still exist as a night in Cork and if so where is it held these days?

Mono are playing Cyprus Avenue tomorrow! Whoop!

Then Boris on the 11th! Whaaaat?!?

Also, OP, Freakscene is a mainstay, if a little poppy, but they're DJing to a fairly knowledgeless alternative crowd that wants to hear the songs they know, not interesting music that they don't (like an alt.havana's).
    They do try out some good new bands/tunes every once in a while but the crowd doesn't go for it, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SteffingHell

Cheers for the replies.

I'd say Cyprus Avenue seems to be the best. They always have good gigs.

I wouldn't have considered Freakscene to be alternative at all! Plus being 23 I always feel mad old in there.

Sucks that there isn't as much as Dublin. Oh well!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 iluvmymac

Ben here a year and freakscene is the only club rock/alt thing Ive found. Have to get pretty drunk to forget about all the kids in there and just enjoy the music.

I wouldn't have considered Freakscene to be alternative at all! Plus being 23 I always feel mad old in there.

It used to be, it used to be.

You missed the glory days when Ping Pong was a weekly event in the Liquid Lounge. Those were good times.

The amount of musicians that've changed lanes from rock to electronics is sizeable though, so the rock scene was always going to suffer.

Very few manage to do both successfully, and there's a bigger reward and nicer vibe at electronic gigs (usually, obviously not counting the skanger-dance gigs).

Advertisement