Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dutch Linesman killed by teen players.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,582 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Trampas wrote: »
    This may seem like an idiotic question, but is there any coming back from that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Trampas

Clinically dead... As opposed to??

(I know not your wording)

I think it means only been kept alive using machines and only way he will remain alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

CSF wrote: »
    This may seem like an idiotic question, but is there any coming back from that?

No I am afraid not. He is being kept alive by support machine now.

If article is true of course with his problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

Things like this make me ****ing sick! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Seems he was just a father filling in as linesman.

SC Buitenboys @ Buitenboys
    Our linesman Richard died at 17:30 pm in front of his family. This violence must stop at the fields! # stop senseless violence

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

This is the consequence of players and staff being allowed to abuse referees. Absolutely disgusting event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Sickos. Ultimately it's only a damn game. No need for that sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Pro. F wrote: »
    This is the consequence of players and staff being allowed to abuse referees. Absolutely disgusting event.

I wouldn't go that far, I have abused some refs in my time but I never wanted to kick them in the head, these lads were obviously scumbags, I bet they had history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

No it's not. It's a consequence of a group of people being complete thugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Jaysus that's horrible news. Complaining of feeling unwell now clinically dead.

Terrible news, I hope those lads get a big punishment for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

niallo27 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far, I have abused some refs in my time but I never wanted to kick them in the head, these lads were obviously scumbags, I bet they had history.

Spot on. I was awful towards refs but I'd never have even dreamed of attacking them. Not everything is a consequence of something else. Some people don't need a reason for being shítcúnts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Thecon21 wrote: »
    Jaysus that's horrible news. Complaining of feeling unwell now clinically dead.

Terrible news, I hope those lads get a big punishment for this.

There 15 and 16, they will probably do a year or two in a young offenders home and then be out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

From the Telegraph article:
    A 41-year-old football linesman was pronounced clinically dead after he was severely beaten by teenaged players following a match in the Netherlands, police said.
    Dutch linesman clinically dead after post-match beating by teenaged players in Holland
    Tragedy: a match official has died from his injuries following a beating he received from players in a youth match in Holland

"He is clinically dead," police spokesman Bernhard Jens said today.

Police have arrested three 15- and 16-year-olds from visiting Amsterdam club Nieuwe Sloten for allegedly beating the linesman shortly after the final whistle in Sunday's match against Buitenboys in neighbouring city Almere.

Dutch media said the linesman had been repeatedly insulted during the match.

During the post-match beating he was kicked in the head and taken to hospital later in the evening after feeling unwell, police said.

Police arrested the three youths from Amsterdam at their homes on Sunday night. They have been kicked out of their club and their team has withdrawn from this season's championship.

Sports Minister Edith Schippers reacted with shock even before the clinical death was announced.

"It's absolutely horrible that something like this can happen on Dutch sports grounds," she said.

"This no longer has anything to do with sport and is completely unacceptable," she told Dutch public television.

The Dutch football federation KNVB condemned the attack, also before the clinical death was announced, with a spokesman saying "what can you do against people who can come off the rails at any moment on a football pitch because they don't like something or somebody?"

"Statistics show that most incidents that happen in youth football happen with this age group.

"Obviously it's a difficult age during which certain players can be reckless," national news agency ANP quoted the KNVB as saying.

A statement on the Nieuwe Sloten website read: "Today we received the news that players seriously misbehaved in the away match against Buitenboys.

"The Board has decided to remove the team from the league. Membership of the instigators of this assuault is immediately dissolved. The names have been passed to the KNVB."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

its a soccer thing. screaming and hurling abuse at officials, from players to managers to fans. its terrible what happened.

bring in cameras at matches to help officials, like rugby. then it takes the decision away from the officials, so they cant be blamed.

and wouldnt it be nice if there was honour in the sport, similar to golf, golfers dont cheat, i heard of one guy in my local golf club that apparently cheated, and his name is mud.

i love football, but i hate the way the game is being dragged down because of cheating. and now this poor guy is dead because of terrible violent behaviour.

emo72 wrote: »
    its a soccer thing.

Is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Is it?

yeah, i think so. players trying to cheat all the time, and if they get away with it then all the better. giving grief to the officials all the time, pushing it too the limit. granted its not just soccer it happens in. that wasnt my point. what im saying is that it does happen in soccer, and i would like to see the game played more fairly with respect for officials.

giving abuse to officials has been pushed to an extreme and ended with a terrible assault which has left a linesman clinically dead.

yeah, i think so. players trying to cheat all the time, and if they get away with it then all the better. giving grief to the officials all the time, pushing it too the limit. granted its not just soccer it happens in. that wasnt my point. what im saying is that it does happen in soccer, and i would like to see the game played more fairly with respect for officials.

giving abuse to officials has been pushed to an extreme and ended with a terrible assault which has left a linesman clinically dead.

Fair enough. I agree and tbh FIFA really could at least do something to help officials.

I just disagree that its just in Football. American Sports and GAA have had some horrendous stories with officals over past few years. I guess thats for another day.

How many officials have been assaulted at GAA matches,it's been happening up & down the country.

True at soccer matches the officials get abuse but you don't hear too many cases of them being manhandled or assaulted.What happened in Holland is horrific but the statement "it's a soccer thing" is plain stupid.Even in a game such as tennis,officials get abuse so picking on soccer is just a mindless generalisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It doesnt matter if its Rugby, Soccer, GAA, Tennis, it doesnt matter, an official should never be physically abused, end of.

It could happen in any sport in any part of the world, if the individuals involved are of a certain type it can happen anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Agreed. I think it's sickening how refs are treated at the top level in this game and sets a terrible example for those below that it's ok behavior to abuse these people. I honestly don't know why it is condoned or tolerated by FIFA. What possible reason is there to allow a bunch guys coral a referee and hurl abuse and him and question his rulings?

It's not even a hard problem to stamp out of the game either. It could be stopped tomorrow by an automatic red card for any player who talks back to a ref or questions his rulings. In about one day it would be gone from the game forever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's not a soccer thing or a result of refs being allowed to be abused, this was out and out thuggery, it just happened to be at a soccer match.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

its a soccer thing. screaming and hurling abuse at officials, from players to managers to fans. its terrible what happened.

It's not exactly endemic to soccer alone.

While in rugby you may not see the players abusing referees you are FAR more likely to witness mass punch ups and brawls between teams.

Every sport has it share of problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Agreed. I think it's sickening how refs are treated at the top level in this game and sets a terrible example for those below that it's ok behavior to abuse these people. I honestly don't know why it is condoned or tolerated by FIFA. What possible reason is there to allow a bunch guys coral a referee and hurl abuse and him and question his rulings?

It's not even a hard problem to stamp out of the game either. It could be stopped tomorrow by an automatic red card for any player who talks back to a ref or questions his rulings. In about one day it would be gone from the game forever.

This is going too far the other way. No ref should be unquestionable - they just shouldn't be abused or assaulted. Football is a high intensity game, so players emotions are at a high. Shouting something like "are you serious?" in anger should never be a red card, but things like chasing after a ref effing and blinding should get a yellow (and often do).

What happened in this case is a tragic case. But I think there are other factors in play, rather than seeing players at a high level getting a few with shouting and cursing. I doubt these youths saw a couple of players run up to a ref complaining after a poor decision and concluded that it was okay to do something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Some of the comments in this thread highlight the problem between players, spectators and officials. Forget other sports for the moment. I seem to recall a thread entitled "Bastard in the Black" which was let go by the Mods recently.
    daithijjj wrote: »
    Seems he was just a father filling in as linesman.
    And I'm just a father refereeing week in week out , what difference does that make.

I think you should read that statement again Niallo. Just because you wouldnt physically attack someone, another player will feed off you and take it further.
    MUSEIST wrote: »
    No it's not. It's a consequence of a group of people being complete thugs.

Yes which I see week in week out on the pitch and in the stands. I've been assaulted and threatened etc more than I care to remember
    Spot on. I was awful towards refs but I'd never have even dreamed of attacking them. Not everything is a consequence of something else. Some people don't need a reason for being shítcúnts.

Ah sure thats ok, you can be as awful as you want to be but everyone else is a "********". What a ridiculous thing to say.

It's not a soccer thing or a result of refs being allowed to be abused, this was out and out thuggery, it just happened to be at a soccer match.

I have officiated at games where there are league representatives and the football association present and no action is ever taken against clubs or specatators for the stuff officials have to put up with. Its deemed as accpetible thoughtout all levels of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Terrible thing to happen, words fail me.

On the abuse discussion. Everyone keep saying how it is normal to abuse the ref. Now maybe I'm showing my age and my non-Irish background, but what do you guys mean with 'abuse at the ref'?

To my knowlegde from playing football at amateur club level since I was six abusing the ref is an immediate red card?!!?

Are people saying that players call refs and linesmen 'blind cvnts' and whatnot without consequence nowadays? What about professional level, the premiership? No way in the Bundesliga...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Boskowski wrote: »

On the abuse discussion. Everyone keep saying how it is normal to abuse the ref. Now maybe I'm showing my age and my non-Irish background, but what do you guys mean with 'abuse at the ref'?

To my knowlegde from playing football at amateur club level since I was six abusing the ref is an immediate red card?!!?

Are people saying that players call refs and linesmen 'blind cvnts' and whatnot without consequence nowadays? What about professional level, the premiership? No way in the Bundesliga...
    I assume they mean the fans abusing the ref, not the players

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Everyone of those teens should be lined up in front of a firing squad and receive a bullet to the heart

• Advertisement

Boskowski wrote: »

Watch the EPL and you will see players telling referees to fúck off and worse. You'll see players crowding around refs and shouting in their faces while the refs run backwards trying to get away from them (in the Laws of the Game it actually says that this is what referees should do, which is utterly stupid). You'll see managers screaming and shouting at fourth officials. Most of this goes on without consequence for the players or managers. Sometimes they get carded, but most of the time they get away with it.

In junior football in Ireland you see much less of this, but it's still far too common. Players and managers arguing with referees all the time and some shouting and cursing too. Sometimes it goes further. The goings on in the professional game definitely set a bad example.

You aren't all people though. I would agree that there is a reasonable chance that these lads have a history of thuggish behaviour, but that doesn't mean that the accepted bad treatment of referees in football isn't an exacerbating factor.

Most fights start out with the verbal confrontation and the complete contempt and intimidation which is plain to see being shown to referees in the professional game can only make something like this more likely to happen.
    Higher wrote: »
    While in rugby you may not see the players abusing referees you are FAR more likely to witness mass punch ups and brawls between teams.

That's hardly surprising when you consider that rugby is a very violent game. The fact that order is kept so well in such a crazy sport shows that their methods of controlling players are much better than the ones in football.

A similar incident has happened at a regional final in Chile.Pictures & video here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2259435/Referee-linesman-beaten-Chile-VIDEO.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Watch the EPL and you will see players telling referees to fúck off and worse. You'll see players crowding around refs and shouting in their faces while the refs run backwards trying to get away from them (in the Laws of the Game it actually says that this is what referees should do, which is utterly stupid). You'll see managers screaming and shouting at fourth officials. Most of this goes on without consequence for the players or managers. Sometimes they get carded, but most of the time they get away with it.

In junior football in Ireland you see much less of this, but it's still far too common. Players and managers arguing with referees all the time and some shouting and cursing too. Sometimes it goes further. The goings on in the professional game definitely set a bad example.

You aren't all people though. I would agree that there is a reasonable chance that these lads have a history of thuggish behaviour, but that doesn't mean that the accepted bad treatment of referees in football isn't an exacerbating factor.

Most fights start out with the verbal confrontation and the complete contempt and intimidation which is plain to see being shown to referees in the professional game can only make something like this more likely to happen.

That's hardly surprising when you consider that rugby is a very violent game. The fact that order is kept so well in such a crazy sport shows that their methods of controlling players are much better than the ones in football.
    have you played rugby?? its definately not a very violent sport.. tbh when on pitch players respect the fact how badly they could injure someone and the fact that same could happen to them so its a highly respectful game and by no means violent.

have you played rugby?? its definately not a very violent sport.. tbh when on pitch players respect the fact how badly they could injure someone and the fact that same could happen to them so its a highly respectful game and by no means violent.

Yes I played it for six years in school. I think you are assuming that the word "violent" means nasty, it also just means forceful or intense. So the big physical hits that are a natural part of rugby would be well described as violent.

But aside from that there is plenty of nastiness in rugby too. Sly punches, gouges, bites, headbutts, etc, go on all the time. The players are still respectful as soon as the game is over though and I think that's a sign of how well the game is managed.

Edit: that video from Chile is sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Yes I played it for six years in school. I think you are assuming that the word "violent" means nasty, it also just means forceful or intense. So the big physical hits that are a natural part of rugby would be well described as violent.

But aside from that there is plenty of nastiness in rugby too. Sly punches, gouges, bites, headbutts, etc, go on all the time. The players are still respectful as soon as the game is over though and I think that's a sign of how well the game is managed.

Edit: that video from Chile is sickening.
    SORRY RUGBY FAN COMING OUT DEFENDING BY MY LOL YEAH NIGGLY STUFF BUT NOTHING NASTY IMO PLAYED PROP AND I WAS THE BAWWWWWSSSSS LOL

Advertisement