Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Attic Insulation Thread - Vapour Barriers

• 03-12-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Just had someone in doing a negative pressure thermal imaging survey and the first job to be tackled is reinsulating the attic. The glassfibre up there has been poorly fitted, kicked around, lifted and compressed. It's a complex enough job (timber framed storey and a half house with dormer windows, steel I-beams running the length of the build, recessed lighting!)
    I'm lifting the existing stuff, then putting down 100mm + 200mm Knauf Earthwool. Later I'll probably remove the existing plasterboard and install 50mm rigid between rafters and then 50mm cozy board on the sloped ceilings.

The big question is do I need to retrofit a vapour barrier? E.g. polythene between the rafters. There is none at the moment and I'll be using rafter vents to keep the attic well ventilated.

Advertisement