Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom modem needs restarting every day to get 24 meg

Options
  • 03-12-2012 11:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Every day I need to restart the eircom modem to get 24 meg speed or else it drops to 8mb. Can live with it but annoying. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

This used to happen to me when I ws with Eircom on upto 24MB. My normal speed was 13MB but after 24 hours I'd only get abou 7MB until such a time as I rebooted the router.
    In the end I got one of those timer plugs and programmed it to poerw off at
    2am and power on at 2:05am. I had my top speed consistantly then as it never passed 24hrs without a power cycle, it's a pain I know but numerous calls to Eircom couldn't fix it and I had the timer lying around anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

What jarvis said or buy a new better quality router

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

areyawell wrote: »
    Every day I need to restart the eircom modem to get 24 meg speed or else it drops to 8mb. Can live with it but annoying. Any ideas?

unless you live inside an eircom exchange it is very very unlikely that you can get a stable 24meg connection

line attenuation = distance from your router to the exchange

example: 40/20 = you are quite far from the exchange
    20/20 = you are close to the exchange

signal noise margin = how much interference your line gets

the lower the number the worse your line is

example: 6.0/18.0db = bad the best you can hope for is 8mb stable
    15.0/18.0db = ok the best you can hope for is 12mb stable
    30.0/18.0db = good but you will still only hope for 16mb stable
    40.0/18.0db = excellent but still best stable speeds will be 20mb

when u combine a high line attenuation with a poor signal noise margin you get crap speeds because there is too much interference on your line at higher speeds so if your router keeps dropping to 8mb then it's likely that it cannot get a stable connection at any higher speeds.

the router is set to always connect at the best obtainable speed that is stable.

there is a few minor things that can improve the signal noise margin a little bit.

1. high quality dsl filters - these can clean up the interference a bit and boost stability

2. reducing the number of phones/skyboxes connected to the phoneline (skyboxes are hoors for adding noise on a phoneline unless you use on demand services you dont actually need them plugged into your line)

3. minimising the use of phoneline extension cables... these are generally unshielded and thus allow interference on your lines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Exchange is 2 mins walk from the house. Comes in at 18 megs on a speed test and generally get 2 megs dowload speed when router is restarted. After a day it goes back to 9 meg on speed test and around 850kb downoad speed

Advertisement