Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bikes - expansion stalled?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

cgcsb wrote: »
    The scheme costs €1,900,000 to run, they get €1,200,000 in membership and usage fees and €312,000 in sponsorship.
    That's a shortfall of only -€388,000 per year. For some reason an additional 15 bike stations will add €500,000 to the annual operating costs according to the article.

Those costs are only for the east-west expansion.

Advertising still fully funds the original stations and bikes, and some of or all of the back end systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Each bike costs over 2 grand according to the council

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Each bike costs over 2 grand according to the council

And they've lost zero on them so far 2 grand over 40 years is nothing

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-bikes-adverts-near-us-embassy-nasty-and-tacky-1.2759632

Let those Northside knackers pay for the bikes, this is leafy Donnybrook

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-bikes-adverts-near-us-embassy-nasty-and-tacky-1.2759632

Let those Northside knackers pay for the bikes, this is leafy Donnybrook

There would appear to be more advertising points south of the Liffey than north of it.

• Advertisement

There would appear to be more advertising points south of the Liffey than north of it.

We are know the only true southside is in and around Donnybrook ;) .

Correction
    Let those knackers living in unfashionable areas pay for the bikes, this is leafy Donnybrook

Better?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

We are know the only true southside is in and around Donnybrook ;) .

Correction
    Let those knackers living in unfashionable areas pay for the bikes, this is leafy Donnybrook

Better?

I do not care where they put those awful advertising boards - they would do better to put some news pages interspersed with the ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"Labour councillor, Mary Freehill from Dublin 4, in response to questions about why D4 has 50% of the bikes in Dublin Bikes and hardly any of the advertising.
    "It is areas like this [D4] that set the standards for the city, and I am not going to apologise for that.""

Is this true? I know my neighborhood on the northside was blighted with two of those awful advertising monstrosities when it's miles away from the nearest dublin bikes station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Bambi wrote: »
    "Labour councillor, Mary Freehill from Dublin 4, in response to questions about why D4 has 50% of the bikes in Dublin Bikes and hardly any of the advertising.
    "It is areas like this [D4] that set the standards for the city, and I am not going to apologise for that.""

Is this true? I know my neighborhood on the northside was blighted with two of those awful advertising monstrosities when it's miles away from the nearest dublin bikes station

I'm not sure if the quote is true or not, but D4 definitely doesn't have 50% of the bikes in the scheme. I'd make it that there's only 2 stations in D4 - the one on Barrow Street and the one near Shelbourne dog track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Article in the Guardian about schemes around the world and a focus on Dublin

Link

Plenty of money for a car sharing scheme but DB remains underfunded

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/minister-to-introduce-successful-dublin-bikesstyle-system-to-boost-electric-cars-35765141.html
    A car-sharing scheme modelled on Dublin Bikes is to be rolled out by the Government before the end of the year to increase uptake of electric vehicles (EVs).
    More than 100 EVs will be available for hire in Dublin and Cork as part of an initiative to increase uptake and address fears of range anxiety [where motorists fear the car will run out of power before reaching their destination].

I thought GoCar already provided that type of scheme.

I thought GoCar already provided that type of scheme.

Apparently we need a state run version too :confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

And most EV owners hate the EV GoCars as they are left sitting on the public chargers all day, so actual EV owners can't use them!

Not a bad idea to have rental EV's so people can try them out and get a feel for them, but they need to have their own dedicated charging infrastructure separate from the public chargers.

Plus the public charging network rollout ground to a halt about a year ago. It badly needs to get going again if EV's are to be successful.

http://irishcycle.com/2017/06/15/e1-per-ride-stationless-bicycle-share-near-to-launch-in-dublin/

Good bye DublinBikes, hello abandoned bike chaos? Although having to using actual bike locking infrastructure could make this scheme very inconvenient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

http://irishcycle.com/2017/06/15/e1-per-ride-stationless-bicycle-share-near-to-launch-in-dublin/

Good bye DublinBikes, hello abandoned bike chaos? Although having to using actual bike locking infrastructure could make this scheme very inconvenient

one of the Chinese companies is launching in Manchester too, with a number of other eyeing up London https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/jun/12/uber-bikes-manchester-mobike-china-global-ofo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭annfield1978

what ever happened the high density cycle parking for dublin city centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Tried this for first time on Saturday. Great getting around city, especially with roads closed for traffic.

However, returning bike to stand a nightmare as they would all be full so playing waiting game for someone else to take one.

Does it be this bad during the week, does one end up sitting waiting alot?

• Advertisement

Tried this for first time on Saturday. Great getting around city, especially with roads closed for traffic.

However, returning bike to stand a nightmare as they would all be full so playing waiting game for someone else to take one.

Most stations are with in a 3-5 minute walk of the next one . If I come to a station that's full I just cycle to the next one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I check using a smart phone what stations have free stands before setting off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Most stations are with in a 3-5 minute walk of the next one . If I come to a station that's full I just cycle to the next one

And you can use the terminal at the stations to locate the nearest one with free spaces!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Thanks for the replies.

I guess what im getting at is that on weekends, with less usage (i assume), i found 3-4 stations full at the same time. On a workday when i don't have time to wait, this can be stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Probably depends on your route. If you are commuting, you are competing with all the other commuters.

I use a folding bike for the reason. I only use the Dublin bikes off peak.

Thanks for the replies.

I guess what im getting at is that on weekends, with less usage (i assume), i found 3-4 stations full at the same time. On a workday when i don't have time to wait, this can be stressful.

Saturday was a very busy day for DB and with the road closures it would have made it difficult for DB to keep up with demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Yes, it's bad during the week, but it depends really on the time of day. Unfortunately I usually am cycling between 10 and 11am, right after the peak, so pretty much every station in the city centre is full. So as a result a lot of mornings I just walk instead.

In the evenings it's generally better because the demand is more spread out timewise etc. But then often you get the opposite problem, where there are no bikes in the city centre, and the stands further out where you're heading to are all full.

Like the other posters said, you should get an app and check the status of the stations before starting the trip. This one is really excellent on Android.

Really wish the scheme would be expanded, in every way- more stations, more stands and bikes at existing stations. It's a really great service and is in really high demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

And you can use the terminal at the stations to locate the nearest one with free spaces!

Note that you should do this too- the terminal will give you an extra 15 minutes(I think) on your lease if you log into a full station while you have a bike out. Remember that only the first 30 minutes of the trip are free, so it's important to get the extension if you can.

But the best approach is to check your app before making the trip so you don't go to a full(or soon-to-be-full) station in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just Eat, and then cycle off the burger you just scoffed.

Advertisement