Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dropped gear into second on Motorway

Options
  • 04-12-2012 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Drive an A4, Man, Diesel. Car was coasting on the motorway. Clutch was pressed and gear lever was being "fiddled with". Gear lever was being moved left and right and pressed down (as if to put it in reverse). Gear level was never engaged in low gear as the gear lever met resistance and clutch was never released.

Car was left in neutral and the clutch was released. Clutch was then depressed and 6th could not be engaged. Foot was released and the clutch would not come up.

Car starts and no warning lights or any of that. Master cyclinder was checked, had fluid and no leaks. System was drained and no change in the clutch.

Garage is telling me I may need a new flywheel even though the clutch itself was giving me no problems prior to this. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

??????

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Itchyness

Yeah I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

And when did you drop it into 2nd?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Itchyness

The gear never engaged. The motion was made to pull the lever into gear but it never engaged and also the clutch pedal was pressed. The lever met some sort of resistance and wasnt forced. The lever was never all the way into position if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So whats actually wrong with the car now? What are the symptoms. You're not terribly clear.

Could be synchro ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

The instinctive thing is to ask WTF was going on on the motorway, but that's not the question.

There is some sort of mechanical failure but it does not seem to be caused by the motorway experiment if the OP account is accurate. Even if that experiment had gone wrong it would have damaged the gearbox or maybe the clutch, but not the pedal/actuating mechanism.

The complicating factor in this matter is that the car probably has a dual mass flywheel (DMF) and that's what the garage are saying needs to be replaced. These are a weak point without any innovative driving so maybe the garage are fixing a regular fault, but why is he pedal stuck down? The cause of that is likely to be the clutch slave cylinder.

Maybe the answer is that the DMF, clutch and concentric slave cylinder are a combined unit so they might as well replace the lot while it's apart. The motorway experiment still has nothing to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Freewheeling won't damage your flywheel, and thats what you are describing as the gear didn't "engage"

Advertisement