Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Garda checkpoints.

Options
  • 04-12-2012 3:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Just a quick question for a newbie, if i was stopped by a garda at a regular checkpoint and i had my licenced firearm in the boot would i have to inform them that i was carrying it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

It would be prudent to do so.

What if they asked to search the vehicle and found the licensed firearm? They would then ask why you didn't tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 amjc1974

Yeh i thought as much alright, would the same apply for a customs checkpoint?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Would ya be feckin bothered like:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I wouldn't bother unless they said they were going to search the car. Then I would inform them and produce the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Jonty wrote: »

What if they asked to search the vehicle and found the licensed firearm? They would then ask why you didn't tell them.

Sounds like you'd just put the sh*ts up the average young garda at a checkpoint. Wheres the prudence in that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

listermint wrote: »
    Sounds like you'd just put the sh*ts up the average young garda at a checkpoint. Wheres the prudence in that ?

You just don't pull up to a Garda checking for Tax and tell him you have a gun in the boot, its none of his buisness unless he needs to search the car!

Its on a need to know basis and anyone other than yourself doesn't need to know, unless they are looking for something specific in which case I'ld let them off and then say "I have a licence here for that".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

amjc1974 wrote: »

Well, as there is only ONE border that you might be crossing, remember that unless you have appropriate UK PSNI documentation for your firearm, your firearm is illegal in the UK.

Your visit across the border might well end up a lot longer and more expensive than you have planned for.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Tac ,
    The customs service can and do run checkpoints from time to time all across this land of green.

David

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

whydave wrote: »
    Tac ,
    The customs service can and do run checkpoints from time to time all across this land of green.

David

Understooded. But there is still an international border - the ONLY border that the RoI has - where the rules are quite different on each side.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

At most check points you dont even speak to the guard unless your tax or insurance is out..
    And then I still wouldnt say anything..

If he asked to search the car then just say yeah sure, I have a licenced firearm in the boot..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Just a quick question for a newbie, if i was stopped by a garda at a regular checkpoint and i had my licenced firearm in the boot would i have to inform them that i was carrying it?
    I wouldn't bother unless they said they were going to search the car. Then I would inform them and produce the license.
    listermint wrote: »
    You just don't pull up to a Garda checking for Tax and tell him you have a gun in the boot, its none of his buisness unless he needs to search the car!

Its on a need to know basis and anyone other than yourself doesn't need to know, unless they are looking for something specific in which case I'ld let them off and then say "I have a licence here for that".
    garv123 wrote: »
    At most check points you dont even speak to the guard unless your tax or insurance is out..
    And then I still wouldnt say anything..

If he asked to search the car then just say yeah sure, I have a licenced firearm in the boot..

Agree with all the above.

I've been stopped twice, road check-points, out late at night fox shooting with the .223 on the back seat. Had the torch shined in through the window and all around and no questions asked. Must be blind.
    And on a third occasion, on a main road, there were 4 of us in a 4x4 with 2 .223's all clearly on view, again no question asked.

AND YES i know it should not have been on the back seat.

I'd say it's on a need to know basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

we also once pulled up to a check point with 3 of us in the jeep, the .243 was was right behind the driver and the .17 was by me leg on the inside of the front seat in plain view.. couldnt leave it behind me as there was another person there and theres no boot.
    met the check point on a backroad in a strange spot. both guards look in either front window and wave us on without a question asked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

To be honest i have been through a few checkpoints checking for tax, insurance, etc. and not once did i mention i had firearms in the back of the jeep.

It was not a case of being "sneaky", but more times than not the Garda is looking for tax issues not for firearms so unless he asks to check the back of the jeep i say nothing. My other reason is it can confuse or "intensify" a situation for no reason. So if the Garda was not bothered before sometimes they become "flushed" and start unnecessary checks, etc because the word gun was used.

One time i was stopped going to the range. The Garda asked me where i was going. When i told him the range he asked had i firearms. When i told him yes, and how many he asked for a look at my licenses. I showed them, he smiled said to enjoy myself, and off i went.

So unless they are doing vehicle searches i don't mention it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

correct

Jonty wrote: »

none of their business, you have a licence to have/carry and to hold

no customs do not have that authority

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Customs have the authority to search your vehicle, ask questions and detain if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

none of their business, you have a licence to have/carry and to hold
    Er, no. And if you ever said that to a Garda who was in a bad mood - or one not long out of training and feeling nervous - you'd be in rather deep ****e in a few heartbeats. For a start, it is their business; your licence is exactly that, licence. Not entitlement. It's not a "F*** Off Garda" card, if anything, it's the opposite!

And don't forget that under the 1990 Act, section 16 the Gardai have the authority to search you and the car if they think you have "any article in contravention of section 9 or 9A" (which, when you finish reading all the cross-related bits in various Acts translates to "any fecking thing at all").

Taking a "F*** You Garda" attitude at a checkpoint is a really bad idea.
    To search your car?
    *hehehehe*
    Seriously, call us before you tell them that at a checkpoint. A film of you telling the Customs lad who's looking for smuggled heroin that he's not allowed search your car? It'd be feckin' Epic on youtube...

2011 wrote: »
    Customs have the authority to search your vehicle, ask questions and detain if necessary.

Absolutely no question there, but no authority over your firearms, that is why there are always gardai with them, they do have powerful enforcement laws, but they are limited, they are not Gardai

that is why there are always gardai with them
    That's not why they have Gardai with them at checkpoints; they have Gardai with them there because the Gardai are the ones with the training to run traffic checkpoints (and no, it's not as simple as standing there with your hand up in the middle of the road - that's why life expectancy when standing on the hard shoulder of a motorway is measured in minutes).
    they do have powerful enforcement laws, but they are limited, they are not Gardai
    No, but they have search and seizure powers that exceed those of the gardai in many areas.

Look, basicly, don't act the maggot and you're fine. Even if - as has happened before - some eejit without enough training freaks out and confiscates the firearm, you're going to get it back after a phone call with the Super (and there'll probably be a quiet bollocking given out by the Super to the eejit afterwards in liu of training since our government thinks that training police officers is a luxury we can't spend money on anymore). And above all else, remember this - if the Garda does do something outrageously wrong at a checkpoint -- and history says that it's very rare, but not unknown -- the side of the road with no witnesses is not the place to have the argument. That's what dashboard cameras and courts are for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

customs checkpoint , right foot to the floor and f them , a guard will ask you can he search the car and at that stage you tell him but you dont shout ive got a gun on board the min he sticks his head in the window

TriggerPL wrote: »
    customs checkpoint , right foot to the floor and f them , a guard will ask you can he search the car and at that stage you tell him but you dont shout ive got a gun on board the min he sticks his head in the window

and never never stop for an unmarked car even if it has sirens and blue lights flashing when you are in the sticks with firearms, drive to the nearest station or town with plenty of people about, or phone ahead even if it means dialing 999

and never never stop for an unmarked car even if it has sirens and blue lights flashing when you are in the sticks with firearms, drive to the nearest station or town with plenty of people about, or phone ahead even if it means dialing 999

True_story_barney.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

why?

james142 wrote: »
    why?

Is it not that obvious :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 amjc1974

Thanks for the info lads, seems that if they ask to do a search..tell them....if not..drive on.

:
    Sparks wrote: »
    True_story_barney.jpg

:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Is it not that obvious :confused:

nope :confused::D

james142 wrote: »
    nope :confused::D

Because if you're going to be arrested and/or shot, you might as well have fun doing it and make the 9 O'Clock news :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info lads, seems that if they ask to do a search..tell them....if not..drive on.

correct and right

Advertisement