Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Garda checkpoints.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Gardai actually STILL have the manpower to do checkpoints on country roads???? Thought with all the B&M about no squad cars,station closures,and rural crime increasing that was becoming a thing of the past.:p

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Should only tell em when they cop the tax is out on the defender...

"ah sure by jasus the tax is out since june"

"well guard its like this, I've a half choked beretta a300 in the back seat hi"

480278_495575600463147_1410456616_n.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

amjc1974 wrote: »
    Just a quick question for a newbie, if i was stopped by a garda at a regular checkpoint and i had my licenced firearm in the boot would i have to inform them that i was carrying it?

If you had no tax/nct on your front window and wanted to distract him from looking maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I Was going shooting in cork a few years ago in a van, Came to a check point about 1am in Youghal, Ags; asks where are ya going, Us; Down to Middleton for the weekend shooting, Ags; can i have a look in the back, We said go ahead he opened the doors and two springers jumped on him, We forgot about the dogs :eek:

Id say the poor cop had to throw his underpants out :D

He didn't ask anymore questions and sent us on our way,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Met one checkpoint in the last two or three years I'd say, and that was in daytime near Galway city, doing tax/insurance checks. Haven't seen one at night in that time, neither has anyone I know. Probably meet a few before Christmas and NY for saying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

and never never stop for an unmarked car even if it has sirens and blue lights flashing when you are in the sticks with firearms, drive to the nearest station or town with plenty of people about, or phone ahead even if it means dialing 999

Section 109 of the road traffic act 1961 applies whether it's marked or unmarked. That is you obligation to stop you vehicle and keep it stationalry until a member of AGS has had adequate / reasonable time to perform his / her duty. And the term "reasonable" is open ended...
    You'd be going the right way to having yourself locked up by using this method... It's called "failing to stop for a Garda" and is EXACTLY the same thing as not stopping for a marked car.

To answer the OP... Unlike some states in the US where you are obliged to tell them if there's a gun in the car, no such obligation exists here. And a Gard cannot just search your car unless he's enacting a particular power. ie: under the misuse of drugs act if he believes you might have drugs in the car because you have white powder on your top lip etc etc.

As for Triggers "right foot to the floor" method... Keep us posted how that goes! ;)

Then again with no man power, the chances of anyone getting stopped are getting slimmer by the day...

Advertisement