Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rimfire Cleaning Solutions

• 04-12-2012 5:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, anyone tried the likes of Boretech Rimfire Blend or similar? I'm looking for a better solvent for the .22 as I've been getting a lot of lead out on patches and with the bronze brush. Hoping to find something which will work out the lead a bit better than just using oil. Some of the benchrest crowd might have some more information on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

Hoppes #9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Hey, anyone tried the likes of Boretech Rimfire Blend or similar? I'm looking for a better solvent for the .22 as I've been getting a lot of lead out on patches and with the bronze brush. Hoping to find something which will work out the lead a bit better than just using oil. Some of the benchrest crowd might have some more information on this.
    Hi It wasnt me,not many solvents work well on lead that wont be harmful to the barrel .
    An old school solution that works very well on removing lead from a rifle bore without scrubbing is HG or Mercury .
    Mercury can be DANGEROUS if not handled with respect .
    Regards,Tomcat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Have gotten a lot of lead out by oiling patches and then scrubbing like hell, but it's obviously not a clean or uniform process. I'd much rather something I could leave in that would dissolve the lead in a uniform way and then scrub and patch out. Anyone used any of the commercial rimfire-specific ones? They purport to remove lead well, but how much better are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭cw67irl

M7 Pro

Expensive but best on the market!!

I use the M Pro 7 stuff for my centrefire, but I didn't think they made a rimfire cleaner. Just looked at the website there and it doesn't show anything either.

• Advertisement

I just use the normal m7pro bore gel and gun cleaner, Would the fact its not rimfire specific matter?

Iv never had any problems with them?

cw67irl wrote: »
    I just use the normal m7pro bore gel and gun cleaner, Would the fact its not rimfire specific matter?

Iv never had any problems with them?

Tbh what I'm looking for is something to specifically deal with lead fouling in a competition .22. I've heard that things like the Boretech rimfire blend are a bit better at getting it out than gun oil and the like. I've been getting lots out with oil and a brush and plenty of elbow grease but I'm hoping to find something to work on the lead itself without putting all the muscle into it. Might be a lost cause though.

Try the m7pro bore gel and and a hoppes boresnake, Leaves my 22s gleaming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭SVI40

I've some of it if you want to try it out.

Some m7 or ??

• Advertisement

Sorry, Boretech Rimfire Blend.

I wouldnt mind trying some rimfire specific stuff, have you much of it?

No problem, I have a bit I can spare. PM me with your details.

Pm Sent

Replied.

If there's any more spare I'd love to try it. Have you had good results yourself?

No problem, can spare a bit. PM me you details. Use is on my 1975 Anschutz, and if I do my bit with good ammo it's a 1 holer at 50m

Thanks to SVI40, got a sample of the Boretech solution. Only a first impression, but it definitely seems to work pretty hard on fouling. Will probably buy a bottle of it after this, but I like the start it's off to anyway.

Plus one to that cheers lad mine arrived aswell, I will give it a good trial tonight!!! Thanks again!!

Thanks to SVI40, got a sample of the Boretech solution. Only a first impression, but it definitely seems to work pretty hard on fouling. Will probably buy a bottle of it after this, but I like the start it's off to anyway.

Is this the Rimfire stuff from Boretech??

• Advertisement

Yes indeed Clive. Definitely got a lot of lead out initially and noticeably less afterwards, even with more brushing in between. I'm going to use it for a few sessions and see whether it continues to make such a difference as it appears to.

I will have to figure out a way to use it on my 10/22 i normally just use a boresnake!

Lads, you're welcome. It is good stuff, but the smell is pretty strong. Cw67irl, is it not easy to take the barrel out of the receiver on the 10/22? Might be an idea if you need to give it a good scrub.

cw67irl wrote: »
    I will have to figure out a way to use it on my 10/22 i normally just use a boresnake!
    SVI40 wrote: »
    Lads, you're welcome. It is good stuff, but the smell is pretty strong. Cw67irl, is it not easy to take the barrel out of the receiver on the 10/22? Might be an idea if you need to give it a good scrub.

Drill a hole in the back of the action to clean with the rod.
    See here for more images
    http://s280.beta.photobucket.com/user/clive_j/library/Kidd%20Ruger%2010-22

And see here for the 'HOW TO BED' the 10/22 action and add a rear action hold down. Post #92
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82208675#post82208675

6mmactionrearhole.jpg

Advertisement