Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road status [was "Slippery roads"]

Options
  • 04-12-2012 9:41am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭

Just drove the Rathangan road there from Naas and it's fairly bad. Be careful on the roads out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

I second that, I just drove from Robertstown to Sallins and the roads were lethal, they don't look icy or frozen but they are. Stay safe out there folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Just drove from Newbridge to Kildare via the racecourse and then from Kildare to the Curragh and back to Newbridge. Roads are bloody lethal. 15mph the whole way.

ken wrote: »
    Just drove from Newbridge to Kildare via the racecourse and then from Kildare to the Curragh and back to Newbridge. Roads are bloody lethal. 15mph the whole way.

The strange thing about the roads this morning is they looked fine, no sheen off them to indicate black ice, frozen rain just before dawn with a sharp frost is apparently the culprit.

Going from Kildare to the Curragh via Maddenstown just past where the chippings start there was an Irish stud jeep in the ditch. Wasn't there long either as the windows were not frosty. Out of a line of 12 cars i was the only one to stop to make sure no one was in it or hurt. Luckily no one was in it and it didn't have much damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Just a quick heads up.
    Road from Rathangan to Clonbolouge was lethal this morning. About 9 o'clock- conditions were very wet and about 5 to 6 degrees.
    There was a big three car accident one in the field and two others rear ended due to black ice.
    Road looked perfect apart from the rain until I stepped out of the car and almost went straight onto my ass. Absolutely lethal Black Ice.
    Weather conditions will be similar for next 4-5 days so be careful out there.
    No one seemed too injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

The stretch from after the bad hump back canal bridge after Prosperous to Kilmeague is LETHAL also and people drive sooooo fast .Last year had a guy totally loose control , do a few spins and come to a halt facing the same direction as me minus his front wheel!By all means guys drive yerselves off the road into a ditch but dont take us out with ya!!!Road between Prosperous and Rathangan is like the flippin BERMUDA TRIANGLE with ice, potholes and especially rocks on ground or falling off sand and gravel lorries.I totted it up not so long ago (while waiting to be picked up by recovery lorry AGAIN!) and reckon Ive had serious four figure sum of damage done on those roads mostly due to debris -TWO sumps bust ,two wheels totally obliterated ,bumper,bonnet,headlight,windscreen etc etc etc ...I know the motorway is STATISTICALLY much safer but theres something about commuters , half asleep in tight 'packs' ,bumper to bumper give me the creeps...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Roads are bad again, although not as bad as Tuesday morning. Car crash at Barberstown cross, so delays there.

beertons wrote: »
    Roads are bad again, although not as bad as Tuesday morning. Car crash at Barberstown cross, so delays there.

Yup roads were lethal around Robertstown and Mondello, in some places in it i could go no more than 20kph, I wish some people would slow down in those conditions, had idiots driving up my ar$e when the road was like a skating rink.:(

The council are smart like bunnies. Their not going to get caught out like 3 years ago and run out of salt. This will be achieved by not <snip> using any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

Yeah I was wonderin' about that .Drive a lot and havent seen a single salt crystal or grain of grit on roads-of course its our own fault no doubt.

• Advertisement

2011abc wrote: »
    Yeah I was wonderin' about that .Drive a lot and havent seen a single salt crystal or grain of grit on roads-of course its our own fault no doubt.
    Go to Kildare CC website they're saying they've limited resources to grit the roads so primary routes will be prioritised, what's a primary route, the N7 and the rest of the county can go and suffer....

Advertisement