Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street lights being dimmed

Options
  • 04-12-2012 10:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

I thought some street lights were too bright and thought about sending a note about it to the local authority mainly about excessive light pollution - about a decade ago.
    Now I've discovered that some lights have been dimmed along BnaT but it's not very noticeable to my eyes. The Council says all street lights may be dimmed in future to save on energy costs.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/29132-galway-street-lights-dimmed-new-scheme-save-money

Good idea, bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

read some years ago of street lights control device that switches them on only when a person or vehicle enters the street.

If workable would be a big saving

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

nuac wrote: »
    read some years ago of street lights control device that switches them on only when a person or vehicle enters the street.

I saw an alternative approach to that on TV, but it never seemed to take off.

tumblr_m6ezf3JtMS1r8wqg2o1_500.jpg

If streetlights can be dimmed without making things too murky it only makes sense to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

nuac wrote: »

This sort of craic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Would lights going on and off outside your house not be incredibly annoying?

It's one thing having a steady light on, but having lights switching on and off during the night would disturb a lot of people / wake them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jonny Drama

I was walking the prom last week and I commented on how low the lighting was, very hard to see all the dog shyte on the pavement!! So I'd say the city council are dimming the lights everywhere by the looks of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

I think it would be a bad idea. One thing I have noticed when I compare Ireland's street lighting with other countries is how dark and it is in Ireland. I am taling about about developed countries here. Almost all of my friends who visited Ireland said the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭D16TURBO

Saving energy on the likes of street lighting is a very good idea. but perhaps they should follow the example of somewhere else ie; Estonia.
    They have adopted a system of shutting down every other light along streets throughout the city. Its saved them millions I believe.
    When I was there during the winter I didn't notice a huge difference in visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Also there has been tests done on using speed bumps to charge lights around it. (On phone cant find research) which would be a great idea in places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

LED lighting is probably the way forward with all of this stuff.

I notice in Cork there are a few LED street lights starting to appear and also some major interchanges on the South Ring are now LED lit e.g. Mahon Point interchange has a heap of LED lights that went up just in the last few days.

There are absolutely massive savings in terms of energy use and they last for much longer.

The cost of the light fittings is also dropping rapidly. So, I think they're going to start appearing much more rapidly over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

They have LED lighting in Parkmore Industrial Estate. Not sure who funds this though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think it would be a bad idea. One thing I have noticed when I compare Ireland's street lighting with other countries is how dark and it is in Ireland. I am taling about about developed countries here. Almost all of my friends who visited Ireland said the same.

I have had several people mention that our lighting is very poor lately too and I agree that dimming it further is a bad idea.

Saving money is important but something that increases personal safety for those walking is not somewhere to skimp. It's pitch dark by 6 now. The council might save but the people will end up paying more by feeling less secure walking in the evening and shelling out for taxis. It may add to traffic accidents involving pedestrians too. If it was maybe from 1am until light I wouldn't mind it so much but before then I'd have to say we should be getting even more adequate lighting than we already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Is public lighting run wholly or partly on sonar power a possibility.

I see some navigation lights around the coast are so powered

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

I have had several people mention that our lighting is very poor lately too and I agree that dimming it further is a bad idea.

Saving money is important but something that increases personal safety for those walking is not somewhere to skimp. It's pitch dark by 6 now. The council might save but the people will end up paying more by feeling less secure walking in the evening and shelling out for taxis. It may add to traffic accidents involving pedestrians too. If it was maybe from 1am until light I wouldn't mind it so much but before then I'd have to say we should be getting even more adequate lighting than we already have.

I have to agree with these points wholeheartedly. I personally have nearly got into accidents a few times due to the road having lack or low lighting. I drive a lot abroad and it is only in Ireland I really notice how dark the roads are. I have also seen drivers nearly hitting padestrians due to the bad/ lack of lighting. It is only due to the headlights and sheer driving skills that there were no accidents. Safety should always come first. I also know some older folks and women say they don't feel safe with the "dark lighting' in Ireland. To be honest, I think there should be more lighting and they should be even more brighter. As I said, even foreigners and tourists to Ireland have said the lights in Ireland are dim and are not serving its purpose- which is to illuminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Bad idea in my opinion. I also can't see how it would save enough money for it to be worth doing.

I actually think street lighting in some areas needs to be improved (i.e. - ancient dim lights replaced with new brighter ones; the new ones are probably more energy effefient anyway)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Streetlights were off on University Road last night. Everybody could see fine. The Cathedral looked stunning and very imposing in its own lights when walking from the hospital toward town. I never really noticed the Cathedral's external lighting before then

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Very kind of the church to provide backup public lighting, but it's not something we should rely on I think.

I was on bus going home years ago, when there was a power cut about 20 minutes walk from my house. Since it was an electric trolley bus, we all got off and walked. Which was fine when cars were driving past, but very challenging when there was no light.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

snubbleste wrote: »
    Streetlights were off on University Road last night. Everybody could see fine. The Cathedral looked stunning and very imposing in its own lights when walking from the hospital toward town. I never really noticed the Cathedral's external lighting before then

Very much depends on the road and whether it has much traffic as well as the degree of night vision a person has. Imagine your mum/child/anyone more vulnerable than you walking alone down a poorly lit road at even 7pm in winter,which they will have to do as that's early.I don't think your concern would be for their view of well lit landmarks.

It's grand when you're feeling invulnerable and there's plenty people and cars around but it only takes one person with bad intentions to rob//hurt/ruin someones confidence for a lifetime or worse. Personally I just don't think it's worth the money to give that person the opportunities that come with an extra veil of darkness. We should all have the lighting necessary to walk the streets confidently at decent hrs .ie before midnight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement