Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verona Opera

Options
  • 04-12-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭

For a special birthday, I want to bring my other half to the opera in Verona next summer. It will be a trip especially for this so dates are flexible and hopefully tickets will still be available in a week or so.......I know that they've been on sale for a while already.

Anyway, I need some advice from folks 'in the know'.....

Firstly, what to attend:

I'm not knowledgeable about opera though I might favour something and she another..... ! We were in Verona some years ago and saw the props and set for Aida (though didn't attend) and I read that the amphitheater setting works really well for Aida, but here's the list of 2013 operas to choose from:

Aida
    Romeo & Juliet
    Rigoletto
    Nabucco
    Il Trovatore
    La Traviata (I know the Act 1 Overture to that one !)
    Messa de Requiem
    There's also a Verdi gala (its his bicentenary next year ?)

I've heard a bit of the music from most of these, but not from others. I'd like something that the pace isn't too manic (so I'm not asking her awkward questions every few minutes.........there's only so many times you can be shussed) and that the singing is 'accessible', and the story easy enough to follow (homework to be done in advance!). I guess you can't go far wrong with Romeo & Juliet given it's Verona so my provisional 1,2,3 is possibly R&J, La Traviate, Il Trovatore.......??

Secondly, from anyone who has been at the Verona Opera, I'd really appreciate some practical advice. Accepting that we would be quite distant from the stage, I believe that the 'cheap seats' up on the concrete steps is a pretty nice way to attend....cushions, plastic bottle of Chianti, some nice cheese........hmmmm. Alternatively, pay top drawer prices for being close? Is this advisable in an open-air setting?

Lastly, anything else that folks can offer as good advice will be seriously considered (accommodation, logistics etc etc)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

I would say any of the Verdi operas should satisfy and wouldnt worry too much about which one. Aida is the spectacular speciality there and probably the one to go for all else being equal. Rigoletto and Traviata are better operas, Nabucco good but inferior to all three. But if not that familar with opera, Aida will likely be more easily enjoyed. R&J or the Requiem just wouldnt have the same impact for me anyway. Plots for them all are pretty straight forward if you do your homework at all.

Its a big arena, and open air, so closer to the music does help rather than at the back where it starts to become fainter (you can always hear it clearly however). For cheaper seats my preference would be for the sides - closer, if not the perfect view.

One suggestion though if this really is a special trip hanging on going to the opera there - rain does stop play. Depending on how long you are staying for, tickets to a second night could be a good insurance policy. Evening summer thunderstorms rolling down from the alps are not at all uncommon. You get a refund I think if it doesnt get going at all, but that would be poor consolation I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Sandwlch wrote: »
    I would say any of the Verdi operas should satisfy and wouldnt worry too much about which one. Aida is the spectacular speciality there and probably the one to go for all else being equal. Rigoletto and Traviata are better operas, Nabucco good but inferior to all three. But if not that familar with opera, Aida will likely be more easily enjoyed. R&J or the Requiem just wouldnt have the same impact for me anyway. Plots for them all are pretty straight forward if you do your homework at all.

Its a big arena, and open air, so closer to the music does help rather than at the back where it starts to become fainter (you can always hear it clearly however). For cheaper seats my preference would be for the sides - closer, if not the perfect view.

One suggestion though if this really is a special trip hanging on going to the opera there - rain does stop play. Depending on how long you are staying for, tickets to a second night could be a good insurance policy. Evening summer thunderstorms rolling down from the alps are not at all uncommon. You get a refund I think if it doesnt get going at all, but that would be poor consolation I guess.

Many thanks for the reply, especially regarding the merits of one opera over another. I had wondered how Romeo & Juliet would work in such a large setting, and you seem to re-inforce this.

I had also been thinking along the lines of a second night (one in the cheapo seats, one more up-front) as I hope we'll have at least 3 night in Verona but your comments about the weather makes this even more valid. Cheers.

Advertisement