Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Porterhouse ?

Options
  • 03-12-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

/ bump /

heard a rumour porterhouse is opening in cork, anyone else??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

eurokev wrote: »
    / bump /

heard a rumour porterhouse is opening in cork, anyone else??

Yes, The Craft Bar in the Mardyke (the bar on the ground floor, on the very right) is soon to be re-branded as "The Porterhouse Cork".
    I'll be in there soon for a pint of MettleMan and Sierra Nevada! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Yes, The Craft Bar in the Mardyke (the bar on the ground floor, on the very right) is soon to be re-branded as "The Porterhouse Cork".

You can already get both of them in Cork. :pac:

The place could definitely use a big name to seem as impressive as the Porterhouses in Dublin. But will also need the beers to back it up. It should be impossible to Coast to Coast in any porterhouse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

See ya there, cant wait to try hophead on draught

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

The place could definitely use a big name to seem as impressive as the Porterhouses in Dublin. But will also need the beers to back it up. It should be impossible to Coast to Coast in any porterhouse :pac:

The place could use a name, full stop. The last time I was there, there was no sign outside of the place to say that the pub was actually there, never mind a name. There was only a blackboard with an arrow saying "craft beer" inside the door of the place. Although, this could have changed since I was there last.

Anyway, good times for craft beer ahead in Cork. Market Lane have their own stout on tap in the restaurant from Wednesday on and and are planning on setting up a microbrewery as is the Bowery.

The place could use a name, full stop.

This is true, it has never actually had a name (to my knowledge). "I'll meet you at the bar in the mardyke, no not that one, the one on the right"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dj_

Although, this could have changed since I was there last.

Nope. Was there last Friday and was the same.

Anyone know why they got rid of the table tennis tables after having them only a few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Urban Rewind?

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Urban Rewind?
    I've never seen that written anywhere in (or outside) there.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭be wide of me

I'm a bit indifferent on this one! While I do enjoy going to the porterhouse when I'm in Dublin, I really enjoy the selection they have in the mardyke. I like the porterhouse beers, but then I suppose I'll be giving up the chance to get readily available pints of Brewdog punk ipa and 5am saint among other things!

I totally agree on the name it was ridiculous trying to explain the place to anyone!! I asked the barman one day and he told me they were on the case but it was the owner that was stopping it! I spread good words about the place but without a name to back it up it was difficult.

I hope the porterhouse do well, but I will miss the excellent choice of draught beers in there at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I've never seen that written anywhere in (or outside) there.

Thats what it was called anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I'm a bit indifferent on this one! While I do enjoy going to the porterhouse when I'm in Dublin, I really enjoy the selection they have in the mardyke. I like the porterhouse beers, but then I suppose I'll be giving up the chance to get readily available pints of Brewdog punk ipa and 5am saint among other things!

I totally agree on the name it was ridiculous trying to explain the place to anyone!! I asked the barman one day and he told me they were on the case but it was the owner that was stopping it! I spread good words about the place but without a name to back it up it was difficult.

I hope the porterhouse do well, but I will miss the excellent choice of draught beers in there at the moment.

Well the Bier House on the quays has a brilliant selection especially Brew Dog beers and lots and lots of other tasty beers available, went on a bit of a crawl on last saturday night, My girlfriend lives in Sundays well so we stopped into the Fran well then Bier House and ended up in the Abbots Ale House and had a brilliant night alltogether especially because it was craft beers for the whole night and not much of a hangover the next morning.

I'm loving the Craft beer revolution thats going on in Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭be wide of me

spoofilyj wrote: »

Well the Bier House on the quays has a brilliant selection especially Brew Dog beers and lots and lots of other tasty beers available, went on a bit of a crawl on last saturday night, My girlfriend lives in Sundays well so we stopped into the Fran well then Bier House and ended up in the Abbots Ale House and had a brilliant night alltogether especially because it was craft beers for the whole night and not much of a hangover the next morning.

I'm loving the Craft beer revolution thats going on in Ireland at the moment.

I'm loving the craft beer revolution as well it's really taken off! I've been going to the Bierhaus for years but I just thought the selection in the Mardyke was the best of the lot in Cork it's a shame it didn't take off. Things that were on rotation in places like the Bierhaus and Abbots were permanent taps in there.

My fiance is from Dublin and have had the chance to sample plenty of bars up there. Was in the black sheep on Capel st on Friday followed by WJ Kavanaghs on Dorset street, both were very busy with great selections!

Cork is coming a long way though, Crane lane has a nice selection and even the Raven even has a Brewdog tap! Long live the craft beer revolution!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Don't forget the Hub on Anglesea Street. Nice little bar and a pretty big selection on tap. Was only there once, haven't got the chance to go back yet, but spent the whole night just taking to the bar maid about beer! Great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I hope it takes off. I'd say the Porterhouse bit has been in the plans since they opened it as a craft bar. Otherwise they would have named it. It's not a "real" Porterhouse though. It's the same owners, same management, same staff (bar and bouncers.) The only difference will be the name and what they have on tap.

Still it wasn't even in my Top 3 Cork Craft Beer Bars, so I'm not too bothered about "losing" it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Was up in Dublin @ the Food & Wine Magazine Expo at the RDS last weekend. Spent hours talking to beer and wine reps. Both the Barry Fitzwilliam & Belfast Whitewater Brewery guys told me The Porterhouse would be open in the Mardyke before the start of the new year.

Giddy with joy I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

There is a sign up on the Capitol Cineplex (wish they would do something with there) advertising it. Couldn't see if there were any dates when it would open up as was driving at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭opus

Spindle wrote: »
    There is a sign up on the Capitol Cineplex (wish they would do something with there) advertising it. Couldn't see if there were any dates when it would open up as was driving at the time.

Here it is, no dates on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Urban Craft Beers is what's written on the receipts and facebook page of the place in the mardyke anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 beermaster1

The Porter House will open in the Mardyke Shear Street shortly,Bringing original Craft Beer into Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Porter House will open in the Mardyke Shear Street shortly,Bringing more original Craft Beer into Cork City
    FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Was in here on Saturday evening... the guy behind the bar was full of recommendations and gave us some tasters, too. He said that he *thinks* it will have the Porterhouse sign up soon. No sign at all on the place now.

Been a big fan of Hop Head for a while, so good to have somewhere in Cork to have it on draught. Punk IPA is nice from the tap, too, but a bit pricey at €6 a pint (Hop Head is €4.60). I like the layout and decor too. The guy behind the bar said it's fine to bring the drinks back into the Woolshed too. Decent beer while watching the sports is always appreciated.

I'll be back, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LovePingPong

dj_ wrote: »
    Nope. Was there last Friday and was the same.

Anyone know why they got rid of the table tennis tables after having them only a few months?

They didn't get rid of them. They moved them to the new Ping Pong bar which is even better. There's about seven new tables in the new funky looking bar! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dj_

They didn't get rid of them. They moved them to the new Ping Pong bar which is even better. There's about seven new tables in the new funky looking bar! :D

The place to the left of the Woolshed? I thought that was a restaurant of some sort?

dj_ wrote: »
    The place to the left of the Woolshed? I thought that was a restaurant of some sort?

There upstairs I believe. Along with the bowling and the pool tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Ya Urban Rewind, it's actually not a bad spot and they already have a huge selection of beers, I just don't think the place is marketed well, if at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

babo9 wrote: »
    Ya Urban Rewind, it's actually not a bad spot and they already have a huge selection of beers, I just don't think the place is marketed well, if at all!
    Up Here in Dublin, the slogans on their posters are "No marketing budget, tell everyone."

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lauradonohue12

was in there last week and theres loads of changes, they've changed the whole entrance and inside the bar is all done up! Think is its the real Porterhouse as in the last week Ive seen a big billboard and posters all over town saying the Porterhouse brewing coming Dublin is coming to Cork just in time for Xmas! Id say they've just taken it over and our just beginning to market it now! I agree with Lyaiera Id say it was always in the plans otherwise they woulda named it when it first opened! Also the barman said they'll be using the Porterhouse menu so they couldnt do that if they weren't the real 'porterhouse'

was in there last week and theres loads of changes, they've changed the whole entrance and inside the bar is all done up!

I was in there this weekend, there's been no changes to the decor. :confused:

There's new beers on tap alright.

Edit: And what I mean by a "real" Porterhouse is that it won't be owned by the Porterhouse people. The whole Mardyke complex has been owned and run by the same people for over a decade. At most they've gone into a partnership with the Porterhouse crowd, but I very much doubt they've sold that part of the building to the Porterhouse people. I'd say it's some sort of partnership/licensing deal. The Mardyke people do the managing of staff, cleaning, etc. the Porterhouse provide the name and beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lauradonohue12

They've a big new entrance and theres still builders there so they must be doing more? maybe it is run my them I dunno but i just checked on the Porterhouse facebook page in Dub and they've announced it as their new bar opened in Cork so i'd say it is run by them coz surely they wouldnt give their brand name without being involved in running it?? id say they've done the same that they've done with the woolshed and just sold off the bar to them! I hope so coz I love the Porterhouse Dublin and we could use with something like tat down here!!! there seems to be loads of new craft bars coming to cork at the mo?? anyone hear of anymore apart from porterhouse? is the hub still open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Don't forget there is an excellent craft brewery only a couple of hundred metres away at the Franciscan Well on North Mall. BTW the Bierhaus were selling Hop Head on draught a couple of months ago, and may still do.

I like the Porterhouse but I'm slightly dubious about microbrewery chains which sort of defeats the purpose to my mind. Does anyone remember the Firkin chain in the UK? There were dozens of brewpubs, all making exactly the same mediocre beer on each premises. Microbreweries should be about variety rather than uniformity.

Advertisement