Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS rates for tenants?

Options
  • 04-12-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all, I have been offered a house from wexford council on a ras scheme. I asked my now landlord could he do it but he said he was advised not to touch it. I love where I am living but I am finding it hard to afford it so I do not mind downsizing to much. I can find lots of information on ras for landlords, I can not find much for tenants. Does anyone know what rate a family with one child pay in a ras house? I believe I'm aloud 2 refusals before I'm cut off rent allowance, I just want to double check that. Although it is a new estate and nice house I have alot of extended family living in there and they drive me mental!

Any information anyone has from tenants side would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's the same as Council differential rents for tenants.
    Should be available on your Council's housing website.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Lukes_Mama

Can't find it anywhere! Maybe my googling skills aren't what they used to be haha

Thanks, I still don't understand how much I'll be paying though. I just can't work it out :(

I have to download the forms off wexford county council site and they won't load on my pc! Rang them earlier but their all on calls since 9.30 seemingly and I haven't heard back from them yet.

Got though to council and had to get rudest woman ever, got the vibe how dare I ring for information! Anyway I still can't work out the differential rent scheme I think if your earning 300 you pay 60, but the other half is on a ce scheme working 3 days a week, I get reduced allowances. I know I lose the rent allowance which is fine I won't need it but if I'm working it out right renting from the council will cost me more than renting private?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

In my experience, the landlord of the property is requesting a certain rent; say for example, he wants €700 a month.

The council will discuss with him the RAS scheme and negotiate the rent-they won't pay him the €700 he's asking for if it's considered overpriced for the current rental market for the area in question.

They would try and negotiate the rent down slightly, all the while telling the Landlord of the benefits of the scheme.

As far as I know, you have to pay 10% of your income to the council and the council pay 90%. The full rent is paid to the Landlord from the council.
    This is MY experience of it, but obviously if you are unsure, speak to your local council.

:confused::confused:
    The tenants rent is assessed in accordance with the Council's differential rent scheme.

Advertisement