Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Fishing at Salthill

Options
  • 04-12-2012 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hallo lads,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some info on winter fishing at Salthill. I'm just after moving down there and I hear it's a decent place for dogfish (and maybe the odd wrasse and a few others?). Does anyone know anything about fishing them -- or any other edible fish -- with a 9' rod, or is beachcasting essential?

Also, I've a quick question about the landmarks in the area: I was told the little piers on Ladies' Beach and Palmer's Rock are good marks, but I can't figure out where exactly folks would cast from at night time. (Both these questions have to do with night fishing really.) The 'wall' on Ladies' Beach looks treacherous, and Palmer's Rock -- if I was in the right place -- was covered with big rocks for about 10 yards.

Any help much appreciated.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

havent fished salthill in a good while now, but if its night fishing you want to be doing there are a couple of spots that work well,

1) across from the atlantaquarium 2hrs before and after high, casting towards ballyvaughan.
    2) the small beach before the larger beach at the diving tower, all stages of tide
    3) off the diving tower either the first level or the top. but only after dark and casting to the right. 2hrs before and after high
    4) behind the driving range(golf), at the first corner, casting straight out 2hrs before to high tide
    5) silverstrand rising tide to 2 hrs after high.

I cant tell you what you'll catch at these marks because every time i fished them I always managed to get different species with the same rigs!

winter months you'll get flounder, coalfish, codling, whiting, poor cod, pouting, dogfish, rockling and anything else will be a bonus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭colferma

Many thanks for such generous information stevecrow. Will I be in with a chance using a 9' rod or do you think I'd need a beachcaster for those spots?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

Those marks listed a beach caster would be advised, however i've often caught flatties on silverstrand using my 9' spinning rod, but clam conditions are required for light tackle fishing.

Advertisement