Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to renting, question

Options
  • 04-12-2012 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,

due to move into a property on a 12 month lease @1,000euro per month on the 10th of december 2012

My question is,

because i am moving in on the 10th of this month, do I only pay 3 weeks rent for this month & staring on 1st of january pay the full 4 weeks rent as normal :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

Generally not, you would pay your rent on the 10th of each month.
    Check with your landlord though.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tomomurray1

what happens when I move out? if I am paying full deposit & 4 weeks rent in advance, will i not lose out on a week when I move out?

Just to clarify

12 month lease
    start date 10th december 2012
    end date 10th december 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The way it usually works is that you pay your first months rent on say the 10th December, and the rent will then be paid on the 10th of each month going forward. Your last months rent would be paid on the 10th November 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

first things first 4 weeks rent is not equal to a months rent.

There are 4.33 weeks in a month. Might sound pedantic and symantics but its important to realise that as too many people have this idea that its 4 weeks and then get pissed off when they think they are being over charged if there is a reason to do things pro rate at some stage for whatever reason.

secondly to your question op most of the time you would just pay on the 10th of the month. If you and the landlord want to normalise it to pay on the firsts then you pro rata the rent to get you to jan 1st.

So if thats the case then you would owe €692.84 to get you to Jan 1st then pay the €1,000 per month from then. Important to realise that in case the landlord tries to charge you €750 for your "three weeks"

Okay I paid today 1,000e deposit & 1,000e for rent in advance just now instead of paying on the 10th this month,

landlord will give me keys today 5th. The lease does say I am moving in on the 10th but he letting me move in today as I have paid deposit & rent.

So does that sound okay :confused:

• Advertisement

Sounds alright to me. So long as you get the keys when you hand over the money (never hand over the full amount in advance of getting the keys; even if there is only a day in the difference). Generally speaking the month starts from the date that is on the lease, so presumably he is giving you the first 5 days for free and will take the second months rent out on the 10th January?

Yes I paid the rent & deposit today the 5th and I moving in in the morning, oj the lease it is the 10th and rent due on 10th of every month after.

Sounds like he is doing you a favour so!

Advertisement