Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympiakos vs Arsenal. 19:45 (Live on ITV1 and TV3)

• 04-12-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭

wpid-Olympiakos-vs-Arsenal.jpg

Massive game for Arsenal tonight I believe. With qualification secure for the group stages Wenger is resting some of his senior players. Mistake I believe as Arsenal still have an outside chance of topping the group and facing a group runner up instead in February. With confidence at an all time low they need a big performance tonight and carry it through back into the league. Olympiakos are secure a place in the Europa League and will want to go out on a high at home. Arsenal have a terrible record in Greece. I am hoping for a good Arsenal performance but realistically think they will struggle. A resounding home win. 3-1 Olympiakos.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20506696

Team news to follow when available.

Game is live on ITV1 and TV3. Kick off@7:45pm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

It's hardly massive Denman. We are looking at long odds for Shalke to lose and we've left the majority of players who need a moral boost at home. Still it should be entertaining watching Squilaci making an appearance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Rosicky's in the squad I see, it'd be great to see him get a run tonight. He was one of our most effective midfielders last season and while it's difficult to see where he'd fit in with Cazorla in and Wilshire back I think he's stilll a great player to have in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

DenMan wrote: »

Massive game for Arsenal tonight I believe. With qualification secure for the group stages Wenger is resting some of his senior players. Mistake I believe as Arsenal still have an outside chance of topping the group and facing a group runner up instead in February.
    [.

I honestly believe that it doesn't really matter whether we finish first or second. as it stands:

If we finish 2nd = Porto, Malaga, Dortmund, Bayern, Shakhtar or Barcelona.

If we finish 1st = PSG, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Juventus, Valencia, Benfica or Galatasaray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Roy Carroll is an interesting member of Olympiakos's team.

I wonder, back when he was transferred from Derby to OB, did he imagine he'd one day be Olympiakos's first choice goalkeeper and playing Arsenal in the CL group stages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Squillachi starts. That's something I hoped I'd never have to say again.

Squillachi starts. That's something I hoped I'd never have to say again.

Hail Mary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not sure if this is the Arsenal team or Olympiacos one :D

Line-up
    POS No Name

G
    1 Wojciech Szczesny

D
    5 Thomas Vermaelen

D
    18 Sebastien Squillaci

D
    25 Carl Jenkinson

D
    53 Jernade Meade

M
    15 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

M
    16 Aaron Ramsey

M
    22 Francis Coquelin

M
    27 Gervinho

F
    7 Tomas Rosicky

F
    29 Marouane Chamakh

Substitutes
    POS No Name
    G 60 James Shea
    D 38 Martin Angha
    D 48 Sead Hajrovic
    D 55 Elton Monteiro
    M 23 Andrei Arshavin
    F 39 Zak Ansah
    F 67 Chuba Akpom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

No Arshavin??
    Can't understand that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No Arshavin??
    Can't understand that.

if there was any doubt this confirms that he'll be off in Jan

• Advertisement

He just announced on TV3 it's the same referee as last year when Arsenal lost in Greece. Come on Arsenal!!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No Arshavin??
    Can't understand that.

He was on sky talking about how the team wants to do better funnily enough. Thought it was strange they interviewed him.

We'll win this game tonight, wait and see now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

greendom wrote: »
    if there was any doubt this confirms that he'll be off in Jan

It's that he's normally in match day squads at least that I thought he'd get a start here.
    Has to be gone in Jan.

Anyone know how long he has left on his contract?

Great chance for Chamakh there. Could have done with Frimpong tonight!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Actually playing reasonably well so far. If it wasn't for the few wayward passes we'd have a goal or two by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Awful by Ramsey

Not playing bad. Some woeful stuff there at the end from Ramsey and then Chamakh just there though.

Anyone know if this is a full strength Olympiakos side?

lucky not to be behind based on the last 5 mins - liking the look of Meade though

Where was the support Gervinho there ? perhaps no one thought he would keep the ball for so long

Ramsey is so slow taking it forward its like he just enters slow motion when moving forward

• Advertisement

Gervinho has no idea what to do apart from run with the ball. Just puts his head down and goes straight into a cul de sac everytime. Would have been the simplest of through balls to Chamakh there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I love Arsenal but its painful watching Ramsey, Gervinho and to a lesser extent Chamakh out there at the moment :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

0-1 Tomy Rosicky.

Get in, lovely finish from Rosicky. Its amazing what happens when a player just looks up from the ball :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Nice!

Should have put down Gerv sooner great finish from Rocks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Nice finish

Gervinho nearly messed that up initially but did great in the end to set Rosicky up. Nice goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Surprised Gervinho actually passed the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

That Gervinho and Chamakh are absolutely atrocious!

Great finish by Rosicky great to see him back in the team.

Nice finish Gerv did well but was ****e just before with the header in when we had two on the overlap

Get in Tommy!!! :D

Gringo180 wrote: »
    That Gervinho and Chamakh are absolutely atrocious!

Great finish by Rosicky great to see him back in the team.
    I'd like to see more of Chamakh, a run of games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Arsenal have been superb. a complete different side to last saturday

Now the Arsenal of old would relax sit back and absolutley rape a team like Olympiakos on the counter, Can't see us being comfortable at all in this game,

You can see that we're just unable to keep possesion like we used to before simple reason , Poor standard of players

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    I'd like to see more of Chamakh, a run of games

Me too, he's the only other striker in the squad ffs. Should be making the bench at least. He'd bag a few goals if he got a run I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Decent atmosphere at the game. World of difference compared to the emirates/OT/anfield etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Decent atmosphere at the game. World of difference compared to the emirates/OT/anfield etc

In a champions league game??? :eek:

I'm no Liverpool fan but the atmosphere at Anfield when they were in the Champs League was unbelieveable

cgpg5 wrote: »
    In a champions league game??? :eek:

I'm no Liverpool fan but the atmosphere at Anfield when they were in the Champs League was unbelieveable

In a fairly pointless group game I doubt it would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,445 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not bad, not good. Chamack and Ramsey a bit poor. Gervinho trying hard but getting nowhere until setting up the goal. The backs are doing ok as is Coq and Jenkinson doing well, Rosicky and Ramsey are average. Enjoying the game and hoping we get more goals. Nobody should get carried away with this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Me too, he's the only other striker in the squad ffs. Should be making the bench at least. He'd bag a few goals if he got a run I reckon.

Definately, making a few runs at least and can compete in the air for a small fella, think he would work well with Giroud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

In a fairly pointless group game I doubt it would be.

Oh fair enough. Can they not get through instead of Schalke no? Haven't been following group

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Oh fair enough. Can they not get through instead of Schalke no? Haven't been following group

Nah and they can't fall below 3rd either. So it is quite impressive support considering.

Arshavin is on. Rosicky probably injured for the rest of the season.

I'm going to be positive and assume it's because he just came back and Arshavin needs a bit of game time.

I'm going to be positive and assume it's because he just came back and Arshavin needs a bit of game time.

Ah yeah, I wasn't being entirely serious :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If he was a horse he'd be brought around the back and shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Never knew Squallaci was such a bad player!

What a load of toss, get up of the ground you giant pansy.

Problem being you wouldn't have enough bullets for our squad lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement