Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Experiments

• 04-12-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭

I was just wondering what is the best way to learn the experiments in Biology, i.e. what is that you must know about each, thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

The way I always learned experiments in biology was by:

1. Learning the procedure/ method. I used to learn it in too much detail originally but I only really figured around the time of my 6th year mocks that you do NOT need to learn all the specific measurements, like 10 cubic cms of this solution and 16.5 cubic cms of the other solution. Just learn everything you have to do including the names of any solutions you use.
    2. Learning the result of the experiment e.g. if there was colour change in a solution you were using etc.
    3. Learning any relevant diagrams e.g. the set-up of the apparatus (Make sure you label all your diagrams)
    4. Look over the exam questions that came up on this experiment to make sure you have all the important details learned off and that you can answer the full question ( if you can't, go back over what you didn't know!)

I always found it useful (for biology and for anyone who also does chemistry) to envision the experiments as 'recipes' and that the things you use in the experiment are the 'ingredients' to get your result at the end.

I know some people learn by writing things out and drawing the diagrams so try that of it works for you! I never wrote anything out and I never physically did exam questions because I learn in my head so I just learned the experiment and diagrams mentally and then did the exam question in my head too ( or out loud if I was alone in my house :P ) So whatever works for you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Geo10 wrote: »
    The way I always learned experiments in biology was by:

1. Learning the procedure/ method. I used to learn it in too much detail originally but I only really figured around the time of my 6th year mocks that you do NOT need to learn all the specific measurements, like 10 cubic cms of this solution and 16.5 cubic cms of the other solution. Just learn everything you have to do including the names of any solutions you use.
    2. Learning the result of the experiment e.g. if there was colour change in a solution you were using etc.
    3. Learning any relevant diagrams e.g. the set-up of the apparatus (Make sure you label all your diagrams)
    4. Look over the exam questions that came up on this experiment to make sure you have all the important details learned off and that you can answer the full question ( if you can't, go back over what you didn't know!)

I always found it useful (for biology and for anyone who also does chemistry) to envision the experiments as 'recipes' and that the things you use in the experiment are the 'ingredients' to get your result at the end.

I know some people learn by writing things out and drawing the diagrams so try that of it works for you! I never wrote anything out and I never physically did exam questions because I learn in my head so I just learned the experiment and diagrams mentally and then did the exam question in my head too ( or out loud if I was alone in my house :P ) So whatever works for you! :)

The bit in bold is really important, a lot of people don't realise that! You just need to know what solutions you used, not how much of each.

Also, make sure you know WHY you do everything in the experiment. You often get questions like "What is the purpose of using X in experiment Y?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

leaveiton wrote: »
    The bit in bold is really important, a lot of people don't realise that! You just need to know what solutions you used, not how much of each.

Also, make sure you know WHY you do everything in the experiment. You often get questions like "What is the purpose of using X in experiment Y?"

Oh yes I forgot to mention that! :P Knowing why you do things is often just as important as knowing what you actually have to do- especially in certain experiments such as the DNA one where you have to know the purpose of each solution you use at each step. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Do measurements for the solutions have to be included when your listing them at the start of the experiment under the "chemicals needed" part?

Advertisement