Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn in poor condition

Options
  • 04-12-2012 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

In Donegal. I sowed out my lawn in June '12.
    Before doing so I put course sand through topsoil
    as i heard it helped drainage as my main lawn is fairly level.
    Problem is now that it is very patchy. Yellow grass and poor growth
    were sand is heaviest and dark, even black near root in other areas.
    Plus there is rushes growing through lawn.
    I believe I made a mistake with the sand.
    Topsoil is of good quality but i may have not mixed the sand well enough and
    the soil is holding too much water in some places and not enough in others. A pity as I have an elevated site.
    What do I do to fix this and what is the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A good dose of P&K autumn/winter feed high in Phosphorous and Potassium should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It's very cold now, but you could chance your arm and also sow some autumn grass seed and cover it with a compost topdressing. But probably best to wait until spring and try again. Any photos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

redser7 wrote: »
    It's very cold now, but you could chance your arm and also sow some autumn grass seed and cover it with a compost topdressing. But probably best to wait until spring and try again. Any photos?

It's too late to sow seed at this stage. It would probably be rotten before it germinates in the spring.
    The advice on the autumn feed above is good. It encourages root development and follow with a spring feed in march/april and it should look much better. You could over sow and bare patches in the spring.

If you have a big lawn go to the agri merchant.
    0-7-30 applied now at a rate of 50kg to a half acre for autumn feed
    18-6-12 in the spring but at 50kg to a full acre, best done light and a second covering 8 weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 38 castleking1

Thanks guys. Ill take a few pics at the weekend and see what you think.

Advertisement