Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

User vs Member

Options
  • 04-12-2012 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

The Commissioner and I were just having a chat and he said that someone had asked him what a "Registered User" was. Now we all know that it means someone with an account here on the site, but more or less since I started working in the office, we've always used the word member because "user" I think isn't correct. You don't use a community, you belong to one, so being a part of any of the communities on this site makes you a member of them and reminds us all that we're the ones who make it work as a group.

So with that in mind, does anyone think it daft (zing!) of us to propose a change from "Registered User" under everyone's name to "Member"?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, I'd be cool with that.

But here's a more radical suggestion: don't have anything under a user member's name or make it customisable (without subscribing). What's the point of identifying someone as a "Member" or "Register User" except to distinguish them from a "Moderator", who arguably should only be identified as such in the forums they mod. It only adds to the sense of "us and them" that many people believe exists on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

What about the members without members? :pac:

But on a serious note I've always viewed users as a somewhat impersonal term, and one not quite indicative of a community or group of communities such as boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would support the idea of mods only being identified in the forums they moderate, I have thought this would be a good idea for a while but I don't know if it would be practicable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Sounds like a great plan to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

looksee wrote: »
    I would support the idea of mods only being identified in the forums they moderate, I have thought this would be a good idea for a while but I don't know if it would be practicable.

Last I recall, it's not due to the way the user groups work.

Can we presume "registered" is being dropped as it's fairly redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What about a return to the "fun" (big inverted commas) tags, where your tag changed depending on post count? Except add in the join date to the fun as well.

So someone is "Newbie" for their first six weeks, then "Hasn't much to say" until they hit 500 posts, then when someone hits five years they get "Career in tatters", and so on. Come up with 30 or 40 different titles to keep things interesting which trigger depending on various criteria.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

seamus wrote: »
    What about a return to the "fun" (big inverted commas) tags, where your tag changed depending on post count? Except add in the join date to the fun as well.

So someone is "Newbie" for their first six weeks, then "Hasn't much to say" until they hit 500 posts, then when someone hits five years they get "Career in tatters", and so on. Come up with 30 or 40 different titles to keep things interesting which trigger depending on various criteria.

Those tag lines run a risk of offending someone given the 600,000+ registered accounts. I remember a case of someone getting the default tag of "freak poster" or the like, and wrongly though it was an attack on them. Something such as career in tatters probably wouldn't be well received given current economic woes. If we used dynamic tags they'd end up watered down to be completely PC and innocuous.

They could be used as "gobsh1te filter". Complain about the tags == siteban.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

They could be used as "gobsh1te filter". Complain about the tags == siteban.

Beat me to it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

+1 on this, think it's a great idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Spear wrote: »
    Those tag lines run a risk of offending someone given the 600,000+ registered accounts. I remember a case of someone getting the default tag of "freak poster" or the like, and wrongly though it was an attack on them. Something such as career in tatters probably wouldn't be well received given current economic woes. If we used dynamic tags they'd end up watered down to be completely PC and innocuous.

Agree with this and think it would be hard to keep them generic enough without offending someone. As for proposing a site ban for anyone who complains, I am only assuming that's a joke? I think doing so would be excluding people on the basis of not "knowing" Boards.ie which of course people won't if they are a newbie....something totally at odds with hoping to foster a community environment

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Personally, I can see better things coming from your time. Like enhancing what's given to those who subscribe and sorting out the Avatar issue.

But if it's a quick fix then go for it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

*shrug*, doesn't bother me, change it if you want. Not something I've ever really thought about.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Dav wrote: »
    So with that in mind, does anyone think it daft (zing!) of us to propose a change from "Registered User" under everyone's name to "Member"?
    I always look for the double entendre when I see the word Member being used. "Registered Dick" might be just as appropiate.

I'll agree to being called a Member if you'll agree to change the horrendously named 'UnFollow' button to "I'm bored with this thread now and I don't want to Follow it anymore" button. :D

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Merkin wrote: »
    Agree with this and think it would be hard to keep them generic enough without offending someone. As for proposing a site ban for anyone who complains, I am only assuming that's a joke? I think doing so would be excluding people on the basis of not "knowing" Boards.ie which of course people won't if they are a newbie....something totally at odds with hoping to foster a community environment
    Well, you could always put a checkbox in the UserCP that says, "I'm a boring arse with no sense of humour and I take personal offence when a mindless algorithm applies a fun tagline underneath my username".

Or, "Hide tagline". But I prefer the former.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You'll essentially be changing it from something nobody sees to something people remark on and for no obvious gain.

What will be the equivalent tag for posts made by unregistered posters?

Well, you could always put a checkbox in the UserCP that says, "I'm a boring arse with no sense of humour and I take personal offence when a mindless algorithm applies a fun tagline underneath my username".

Or, "Hide tagline". But I prefer the former.

I can see how the former might be preferable Seamus but it mightn't be so side-splittingly funny to someone on PI with self-esteem issues for example? I get that being overly PC can be a complete pain in the Swiss Roll but seeing as the issue of bullying and exclusion is particularly topical at the moment I don't feel it's a good idea. Call me a boring arse if you want :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Dav wrote: »
    Hello all,

The Commissioner and I were just having a chat and he said that someone had asked him what a "Registered User" was. Now we all know that it means someone with an account here on the site, but more or less since I started working in the office, we've always used the word member because "user" I think isn't correct. You don't use a community, you belong to one, so being a part of any of the communities on this site makes you a member of them and reminds us all that we're the ones who make it work as a group.

But my funny* one wouldn't be funny anymore... :(

* may not actually be funny anymore.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Otacon wrote: »

You could change it to some sort of 'dismembered' style joke

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You could change it to some sort of 'dismembered' style joke

I would have thought that would be reserved for banned users.

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »

Is that you Jimmy?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'd have nothing against the change, but tbh it seems like a non-issue really.

The "Registered" part of the tag draws the distinction between those that are members of the community and those that just use the community by lurking (obviously I don't me "use" as a derogatory term here, I lurked myself for years before joining), and I can't see how "Member" is somehow more inclusive...

As was posted earlier, I think there are better things that could be done in the same vain, such as the mods only appear as mods in their forum, cmods in their category etc.

Sorry, serious answer:

This does seem like a non-issue, as mentioned above.

Either go with my fun idea, or do away with a default tagline altogether. I don't see any gain in changing "Registered User" to "Member". In fact, removing the default tagline might make moderators stand out that bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Am I missing something here, but if you have a user name aren't you automatically a registered user? If you are just lurking you don't show up anyway. So why do you need the tag at all?

I am sure somebody is going to point something out that will make me look stupid! :o

Edit: just read Seamus's post. Yes, what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭BENDERS LINKS

31281207.jpg

31281207.jpg

We already have that, it's called subscribing.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭BENDERS LINKS

Spear wrote: »
    We already have that, it's called subscribing.
    31282136.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Worst Christmas present ever

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

What seamus said.

Inject some fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Doesn't bother me either way.
    Would subscribers still be able to have "subscriber" or their custom tagline?

As was said though its not really an issue.
    What I would like to see though, is in a thread, the OP has either "OP" or "Thread Starter" by their name. It'd be handy to know when the OP is responding in a huge thread without going back to page one to check.
    Yes, I'm lazy and my memory isn't the best.
    Now what did I come in here for again..............???

Advertisement