Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

User vs Member

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I really don't care.

My RopeDrink TL:DR plugin is working perfectly :)

It's a bit of fun. I doubt there'll be animated avatars and pop up signatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

So there's no hope for the old Star Trek ranks we had once upon a time? :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Cloud wrote: »

Make them do it Cloud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Cloud wrote: »

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

This is boards, does the name not come from bulletin boards? BBS? Would you be a useu of a bulletin board or would you be a member of a bulletin board?
    Dav wrote: »
    Hello all,

The Commissioner and I were just having a chat and he said that someone had asked him what a "Registered User" was. Now we all know that it means someone with an account here on the site, but more or less since I started working in the office, we've always used the word member because "user" I think isn't correct. You don't use a community, you belong to one, so being a part of any of the communities on this site makes you a member of them and reminds us all that we're the ones who make it work as a group.

So with that in mind, does anyone think it daft (zing!) of us to propose a change from "Registered User" under everyone's name to "Member"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Offy wrote: »
    This is boards, does the name not come from bulletin boards? BBS? Would you be a useu of a bulletin board or would you be a member of a bulletin board?

Given it's not a Bulletin board though and is in fact a forum where information is shared and communities built saying we are "using" boards is kinda annoying. I feel like I give back to the community and am more a member than a user.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Spear wrote: »
    Those tag lines run a risk of offending someone given the 600,000+ registered accounts. I remember a case of someone getting the default tag of "freak poster" or the like, and wrongly though it was an attack on them. Something such as career in tatters probably wouldn't be well received given current economic woes. If we used dynamic tags they'd end up watered down to be completely PC and innocuous.

OR we could all come outside of our bubble, realise this is the internet, and get on with life ? :)

I sometimes wonder if people forget where this site originated from ahah :D

Definitly agree with suggestions of a customised, user entered, tagline under their name, or pre rendered fun tags.

The amount of people that use "location" to put their little witty remarks, might aswell let them do it properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Given it's not a Bulletin board though and is in fact a forum where information is shared and communities built saying we are "using" boards is kinda annoying. I feel like I give back to the community and am more a member than a user.

The way I see it you're both: a member of the community here and a user of the service boards provides to facilitate that community.

I think there's too much of getting hung up over these terms and splitting hairs over what kind of message might or might not be conveyed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

More fun :)

+1 for Seamus' changing tags related to length of time on boards. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Registered Member would probably be a better default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Registered Member sounds like a sex offender title tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

It probably does make sense to have moderators only visible as such where they moderate, or have some reference to where they moderate in the tagline, just thinking of the touch site where it's not immediately apparent if a moderator has any authority over a thread, just that they moderate somewhere on site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

The theme pack taglines is a great idea, here is one I made earlier: "The European Financial Crisis Pack"

Member - Negative Equity
    Mod - Green Shoots
    CMod - Double Dip (durty)
    Admin - AJ Chopra

Advertisement