Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mayo council blaming met ireland for incorrect weather forecast

Options
  • 04-12-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

For the 2nd time in 7 days, both rosscommon and mayo councils didn't grit roads causing many accidents. Today spokesmans for both councils blaming met Ireland for forecasting frost free nights. Met Ireland just been on mid west radio accepting blame. There was a 6 car pile up on the N17 this morning, near Charlestown.

Ger flemming just been on 13.00 news mostly blaming computer models.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

snaps wrote: »
    For the 2nd time in 7 days, both rosscommon and mayo councils didn't grit roads causing many accidents. Today spokesmans for both councils blaming met Ireland for forecasting frost free nights. Met Ireland just been on mid west radio accepting blame. There was a 6 car pile up on the N17 this morning, near Charlestown.

Any idea what the forecasts they gave were ? Were they wildly wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Best I can find is from twitter:

Further heavy shwrss this eve and tonight, mainly along W & N coasts, but some will also spread across to the E coast. .Lows +1 to +3 c

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/275689387604463616

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Lows last night were between 1C and 3C..?

If they're not going to grit roads with temps around 1C then its hardly the mets fault, anything below 4C and ground frost can form

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just a note the council's don't use the general forecasts for making decisions on gritting they use a system called Icecast which produces charts based on several inputs including the models

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I see that once again they have failed to apply common sense... as Harps said if the temps are that low then there is a risk of frost....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

As every weekday morning (8-8:20), travelled home through co. Mayo.

There was no freezing temperature at all (minimum +2 *C), but roads were covered by black ice.

So, it is possible night was frost free, but ice appeared anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Ground frost can occur when temps falls below +4c and when the sky is clear. In my car it gives me a frost warning when the temperature is 4c and below.

Unregistered Users

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Ground frost can occur when temps falls below +4c and when the sky is clear.
    That exactly happened this morning. :)
    Jpmarn wrote: »
    In my car it gives me a frost warning when the temperature is 4c and below.
    My car gives me a warning sliding off the road. :D

;)

Temperature displayed, I watch it frequently, so despite audible warning, it's O.K. for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It didnt frost where I was in Galway and the car read 2c last night with a clear sky. Dunno who to blame so. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/FireandEmergencyServices/EmergencyPlanning/SevereColdWeather/

Winter Maintenance Systems on National Roads
    The National Roads Authority (NRA) operates the IceCast Road Weather Information System to assist local authorities in the management and delivery of each local authority’s winter maintenance activities. In this respect, the Authority operates a network of almost 60 road weather stations across the national road network, providing up-to-date information on road weather conditions. In addition, in conjunction with Met Éireann forecasts, the IceCast System provides weather forecasts for the national road network. This information can also be used by local authorities to plan their treatment of regional and local roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yes I would assumed common sense would have prevailed. Perhaps the councils are keeping grit back I case we need lots of it like in 2010. I know my local depot ran out after 2 weeks that year and couldn't get any in for about 10 days?
    A quote from midwest news this morning:

Tuesday, 04 December 2012 09:08
    Gardai are warning motorists across the region to slow down this morning as road conditions are described as lethal in some areas due to black ice.

Motorists across the region have been experiencing icy road conditions this morning with a number of accidents reported.

The N17 and the N5 in East Mayo are particularly hazardous.

A 5 car pile up occurred on the N17 between Kilkelly and the turnoff for Kilmovee shortly after 8am.

The emergency services attended the scene. There are no reports of life threatening injuries.

Motorists on the road say the road is like a bottle and numerous calls to the newsroom this morning are from upset motorists who are questioning if the roads have been gritted overnight. Many believing that they were not.

Midwest News has contacted Mayo county council this morning to ask if the roads were gritted overnight and if not why not. We are awaiting a response.

Gardai say a number of minor incidents have occurred along the N5 between Swinford and Charlestown and between Charlestown and Ballaghaderreen.

Icy patches are being reported around the village of Knock and the Kiltimagh to Knock Road"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Not just in Mayo, the roads were in an absolute terrible state in the midlands too this morning, I couldn't believe how dangerous the conditions were around Laois and parts of Carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Darwin wrote: »
    Not just in Mayo, the roads were in an absolute terrible state in the midlands too this morning, I couldn't believe how dangerous the conditions were around Laois and parts of Carlow.
    Ditto for Kildare around Newbridge,Kildare and the Curragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

eskimocat wrote: »
    I see that once again they have failed to apply common sense... as Harps said if the temps are that low then there is a risk of frost....

Just let me clarify too... I meant that the common sense thing to apply to the drivers too, not just to coco.. When you are on the road these early mornings, mind how you go, keep longer stopping distances between you and other drivers, watch your speed.... simples :)

While all the above won't prevent you from perhaps hitting the ditch if you slip on a patch of black ice, it might just stop you from running into the driver in front!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I traveled from the Newbridge , through the Curragh down the N7 , exited the motorway at Monasterevin and then onto Portarlington and there was a good bit of slip sliding to be done along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I had to head out on the motor bike this morning the roads were bad with black ice and frost from suncroft to newbridge,i don't mind the frost hate the black ice ,one dick traveling this morning bleared his horn at me to get out of the way cause i was going so slow,i caught up with him at a petrol station in newbridge lets say there was heated words exchanged:mad:,When i was heading back to suncroft around 8 am i met the salt gritter.
    eskimocat is right people need to realize its winter and weather conditions can change so quick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

I wouldnt be putting all the blame on ME, i'd be pointing the finger at the drivers for being clueless and driving "as normal" in dangerous conditions. I know its not easy trying to get up a slippy on or off ramp but for god's sake learn how to drive properly in the conditions your faced with and I bet the majority of these accidents wouldn't be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

5500 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be putting all the blame on ME, i'd be pointing the finger at the drivers for being clueless and driving "as normal" in dangerous conditions. I know its not easy trying to get up a slippy on or off ramp but for god's sake learn how to drive properly in the conditions your faced with and I bet the majority of these accidents wouldn't be happening.

You are spot on. Everything seems to be a rush!

Unregistered Users

N5 tested today morning - between Charlestown and Carracastle junction - no ice.

N17 tested as well - from Collooney to Charlestown - no ice either.

Tests made 8:15 to 8:40 and passed - because I'm still alive. :D

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Ok, so I'm sitting here now trying to decide to grit or not to grit. I gritted last night in -2 conditions, woke up to mildness and rain. Grr. Now, I'm sitting here in mildnessish and clear skies. If I grit, it costs a fair bit and might be wasted if tomorrow am is mild. If I don't, and it freezes, there'll be blustery warm fronts on my phone tomorrow. So, what to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Pottler wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm sitting here now trying to decide to grit or not to grit. I gritted last night in -2 conditions, woke up to mildness and rain. Grr. Now, I'm sitting here in mildnessish and clear skies. If I grit, it costs a fair bit and might be wasted if tomorrow am is mild. If I don't, and it freezes, there'll be blustery warm fronts on my phone tomorrow. So, what to do?

Grit.

Err on the side of caution. Road safety is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Tactical wrote: »
    Grit.

Err on the side of caution. Road safety is important.
    Erred on the side of economy I'm afraid - loaded up with salt and decided to go for it at 5am if there's ice....was a team decision, so it'll probably be wrong. I prefer when it's a dictatorship..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Pottler wrote: »
    I gritted last night in -2 conditions, woke up to mildness and rain. Grr.

Surely then gritting (rock salt?) would have helped road conditions for the time that temperatures were cold enough for ice to form?

So while conditions improved over time, you helped make the road safer during the cold temperatures :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement