Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER Ratings to be advertised from Jan 1st 2013

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Both - for the non-advertisement by the sites and for the not producing the BER.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Has anyone actually complained to the authorities about advertisers facilitating the absence of BER in advertisements? What response did you get?
    Section 12(3) also puts the onus on the medium used, be it internet, newspaper, billboard etc
    (3) Where advertisements are taken in relation to the sale or letting of a dwelling, or as appropriate a building other than a dwelling, the energy performance indicator of the current BER certificate for the dwelling, or as appropriate the building other than a dwelling, shall be displayed in such advertisements in accordance with guidance published by the Issuing Authority under the provisions of paragraph (4).

I have contacted my local authority on this - response was very slow and I received lots of out-of-office replies. I was asking a couple of weeks ago if I made an official complaint would it affect my right to buy (or would my name be mentioned).

Final response from the building control regulator:

As outlined previously, the Building Control Section will investigate any complaint you wish to submit. All complaints
    are treated confidentially and your name will not be disclosed. Making a complaint should not affect your ability to purchase any property.

This section carries out spot checks on varies properties and Estate Agents to ensure compliance, however we do not have the resources
    to check on all properties offered for sale or rent.

If you submit your complaint outlining the property or properties you have concerns about, and the auctioneers offering these for sale, we will investigate same. Please include your full contact
    details and phone number with any submission you make.

The house has now been sold and we never got to view as the estate agent kept saying the BER was in progress. I asked why can they not stop it at source i.e. stop the websites from putting ads up without BERs - will be interesting to see what they say.

Still no answer from the building control regulator - they are completely inept and I doubt if they do spot checks at all. There are so many advertisements out there that have no BER and yet there is nothing done. How easy would it be for them to pick any ad and prosecute? They just couldn't be bothered.

I don't think a) they have the resources b) don't want to upset people by enforcing legislation

• Advertisement

Anyone get recent responses from Building Control Officers regarding enforcement of BER in advertisements?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone get recent responses from Building Control Officers regarding enforcement of BER in advertisements?

It's still rife that places are either not displaying BER or just blatant lying (A1 Sharon :D)

snubbleste wrote: »

I did last year - you have to lodge an official complaint before they will do anything. I asked them why they can't just pick a random property with no advertised BER and they just said that they don't operate that way. They are reactive (after a complaint has been lodged) not proactive. In fact they are pretty useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

hadoken13 wrote: »
    I did last year - you have to lodge an official complaint before they will do anything. I asked them why they can't just pick a random property with no advertised BER and they just said that they don't operate that way. They are reactive (after a complaint has been lodged) not proactive. In fact they are pretty useless.

What's involved in the official complaint? Maybe we could crowd source it and carpetbomb them with all the non-compliant daft ads.

What's involved in the official complaint? Maybe we could crowd source it and carpetbomb them with all the non-compliant daft ads.

Sorry, don't get any notifications when I receive a reply to my post.

You would have to contact your local planning officer (ask anyone at your local council - or send an email to your council) and lodge a complaint in writing to them with a link to the add and an email showing you asked to see the BER cert. They won't do anything pro-actively i.e. search for ads and prosecute themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement