Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S i9000 rooting Questions

• 04-12-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

• Will i loose my data
    • How hard is it to do
    • Why should i root my phone
    • I have no experience @ all, is it safe
    • My phone is slOOOw will this make it faster
    • I dont have an external sd, can i still root it
    • Can i return it to standard when i want to sell

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

1. NO you won't lose any data once it's done right.
    2. Easy enough once you follow the guide.
    3. To delete stuff put on by samsung or to put a custom rom/recovery on. Or to backup stuff.
    4. Safe enough once you follow the guide.
    5. Not intially but if you put a custom rom or delete the bloatware added by samsung it should.
    6. Yep you don't need external storage to do it just a pc.
    7. Yep you can just flash a stock samsung rom to the phone and wipe all user data.

Get a cuppa you've a lot of reading to do.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=656

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

what is a "ROM"

what is a "ROM"

Your phones software.

This thread might be a good starter.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1379853

oh god i have no clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

oh god i have no clue
    Before you even start all the reading shut down your phone and try to boot into download mode. Do this by pressing power button, volume down and home key together. You should get an android icon on the screen and it will also say download mode. A lot of S i9000 couldnt get into download mode with that combo. If it doesnt boot into download mode post back here and i will try to dig out the instructions that will enable you to get it. Mine couldnt get into download mode with that 3 button combo when i first got it. You cant proceed with rooting otherwise. Pull battery out after to restart

• Advertisement

is there anything simpler than this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

is there anything simpler than this?
    No .
    The i9000 is not an easy phone to root or load a custom Rom.
    You have to mess around with a program called Odin and need to know what you are doing.
    I've rooted a good few phones and the i9000 was by far the most difficult to get to grips with.

Zardoz wrote: »
    No .
    The i9000 is not an easy phone to root or load a custom Rom.
    You have to mess around with a program called Odin and need to know what you are doing.
    I've rooted a good few phones and the i9000 was by far the most difficult to get to grips with.
    all i want is for the phone to speed up .. waiting minutes for Facebook pixels to load is wrong surely ?
    and lagging while typing wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

yeah android 4.1.2 roms are out for the galaxy s2 and apparently fairly good on xda.
    moving to another rom requires more than just rooting though and im fairly experienced in this stuff at this stage and moving data etc can be tedious and awkward.

rooting is fine. it wont gain you any benefit besides allowing you do more with your phone e.g as above removing certain programs, or overclocking, or full phone backups. all it does is gives you full access to do what you want. it voids warranty because you can mess up your phone as a result of messing with stuff like overclocking basically would allow you to overclock to a 2ghz phone if you wanted but you would proabbly burn it out hence why they do it.

installing a custom rom allows you do what i said. install updated android etc. basically samsung stop supporting updates after a while. i dunno have they on the s2 yet. other phone users who have the same skills esentially as makers still use the phone, so can do these upgrades anyway. its the benefits of android in a way.
    anything you might want can be done. e.g you want more homescreens, ability to sort apps based on install date, messages icon to be a picture of a cat etc. anything can be done, either useful or randomly weird and funny. you just have to have the knowhow. people do, they create roms, speed up the phone, and you can use their software from doing the above suggestions.
    there are lots of youtube tutorials. in 3 simple steps its root, full backup, app backup (save all data), install custom rom (deletes all data), recover apps(restores all data).

you can skip backups, but losing numbers saved to phone etc is annoying, so find out how to do it.

will it fix my slow lagging phone =] ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

God will you just go and do some reading???

Yes it should fix a lagging phone.

Yes it is easy to do when you READ and FOLLOW instructions.

There are plenty of threads here already (a big one about the i9000) where people have posted instructions for those who don't read. There are also youtube videos if you REALLY can't be bothered.

If this all sounds too much, give up and sell your phone. Get an iPhone instead.

are the iphone better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Is your grammar fail?

The i9000 (which I'm using) was awful out of the box. Incredibly slow, I would miss calls before the screen reacted. It was something to do with the file system that samsung used not being optimised for Android...

Also since the phone is over 2 years old, they refuse to upgrade the software beyond 2.3 gingerbread, stating that it can't handle 4.0 or greater. It can, just not with their crappy Touchwiz interface.

There used to be free and quick ways to speed up the phone but I dont think those apps exist any more. You're better off looking how to install Cyanogen mod 9. There should be instructions for the absolute beginner, or videos.

Hunt down z4mod.apk or z4root.apk if you're still on 2.1. that will easily root your phone.
    From there you can install a lagfix (google oclf). That should speed up 2.1 at least. The old filesystem was RFS and yep it was dog slow after a while. so the lagfix changes it to ext4 i think to remedy that fact.
    You are better going the odin road to get a newer rom tho.

Wow those steps take me back!

Advertisement