Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query re Rental Allowance Scheme

Options
  • 04-12-2012 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Im currently looking to get mortgage approval and then rent out the house through the RAS with the council.Can somebosy please give me the pros and cons of doing this please ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

RAS is the Rental Accommodation Scheme, quite different from rent allowance / rent supplement.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/rental_accommodation_scheme.html

It has the advantage of having a fixed tenant for a number of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

And how long does it take for the council to approve your property for this scheme ? Obviously ill have to take the hit during the waiting period

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

There's absolutely no guarantee that they will approve it at all. It all depends on whether or not it meets their criteria, whether it's located in an area where they have high demand, whether the size of the property would meet demand they have (eg, if they have no demand for 4-bed houses but are inundated with applications for 2-beds, they might not be interested if you're offering them a 4-bed). And of course ultimately it comes down to their budget.

I'd recommend talking to your local authority and gauge their interest before you go any further with this. I'm not sure how much info they'd give you considering you don't own the property though.

Bear in mind that explanatory leaflet was written in 2004/2005 when private landlords didn't want to touch social housing with a 20 foot pole. I'd imagine councils are inundated with RAS properties these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Cheers for the reply .. Yeah the fear would be them not accepting the proprty then im left paying for an empty house .. I will look into more and not rush into anything , thanks.

Advertisement