Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use CW?

• 04-12-2012 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

I've been learning from the LCWO website.

its VERY good.

I THOUGHT I was ready for my first CQ call.

I listened (40m) to make sure the freq was clear

I tuned up.

I started the cw translator on my PC as a backup.....

I called CQ..... and the translator was reading my sent signal perfectly, and so I'm GUESSING my send was fine. nice and slow so that anyone daft enough to answer would realise what a noob I was.......

to my surprise I gott a reply!!!!

GI4BBEresponded.

and what did I do?

totally froze up.

couldn't even remember what G was to reply!

as Homer would say.....

DOH!!

back to practiceing I think!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

A good tip for beginners is to have a rubber stamp qso where you have most of your qso written down in front of you. This should help you and as you progress you can qso "live" from your brain if you understand me. So have your name, qth etc written down and keep your overs short. Tell your contact that you are new to CW so he/she will keep it short too. Best of luck, ..._._

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Oh, I HAD all that!!

I just totally blanked on the letter G!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

It happens!
    At least you tried.

When I was starting out many years ago - we listened for a call from a station that we could copy although sometimes they speeded up but after listening to him having a few QSO's you had all his info already.

It took a while before I had the courage to call CQ and even then you do miss some.

When I started out first EIs were limited to low power 20 and 40 meters CW for their first year on HF. I remember copying a nice slow sending station's callsign so I called and called and as soon as I stopped sending each time the other station kept sending its call. It took me a little while to realise I was calling a BEACON :eek:

Easy done!!

we all gotta start somewhere!

I just downloaded g4fon's koch method trainer. As well as straight morse it can also simulate QRM, QSB, QRN, frequency drift and chirping.

looks EXCELLENT and all for free!

though the author has started a new thiong in QSLware...... if you use it, send him a card!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

I THOUGHT I was ready for my first CQ call.
    I listened (40m) to make sure the freq was clear
    I tuned up.
    I started the cw translator on my PC as a backup.....
    and what did I do?
    totally froze up.

Ahhhh them were the days.
    We all felt nervous.
    Fear of having everyone listening to how you send your dits and dahs.
    The usual ''What do I send next?''
    And as someone said here (PixbyJohn??) - stick to the rubber-stamp format for now and get used to it - branch out later.
    I had the rubber-stamp QSO layout on a page hanging up beside the radio just in case I forgot.

You'll find QRP station in/around 14060 and FISTS (CW club) in/around 14058. 7030 or 7028 on 40m and I think 3560/3558 on 80m.
    And do not be afraid to send QRS QRS if someone is sending too fast for you.

Give it a lash. See how you do. If you try and you end up not liking it then fine - at least you tried.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    When I started out first EIs were limited to low power 20 and 40 meters CW for their first year on HF.

Ahhhhhh memories.

Getting your licence on an A5-size piece of bumpy paper from an envelope with a Harp on the front.

Tuning up into a dummy load

Calling into EI0RTS/EI3H on 7043 CW

Being 'run over' by contest stations at weekends on 20M.

Trying to follow East-European stations along the band as their PSU voltage slowly dropped off as they sent their next sentence.

Asking an East-European station a question that was not part of a rubber-stamp QSO which would cause either a QRM QRM reply or
    a sudden end to the QSO.

Hearing Y2 (old East Germany) calling you.

Getting an QSL card envelope almost every month.

Listening to 3660 for the Callbook-QSL-address enquiries coming in.

Renewing the licence every year.

Oh, I HAD all that!!

I just totally blanked on the letter G!!!!

Mine was 'W' - I always took longer to figure that one out :)

just in case anyone is reading this and thinking they want to try morse, I just downloaded a koch trainer program, FREE from G4FON's website. google his call and I SERIOUSLY recommend the software!

brownmini wrote: »
    Ahhhhhh memories.

Getting your licence on an A5-size piece of bumpy paper from an envelope with a Harp on the front.

Tuning up into a dummy load

Calling into EI0RTS/EI3H on 7043 CW

Being 'run over' by contest stations at weekends on 20M.

Trying to follow East-European stations along the band as their PSU voltage slowly dropped off as they sent their next sentence.

Asking an East-European station a question that was not part of a rubber-stamp QSO which would cause either a QRM QRM reply or
    a sudden end to the QSO.

Hearing Y2 (old East Germany) calling you.

Getting an QSL card envelope almost every month.

Listening to 3660 for the Callbook-QSL-address enquiries coming in.

Renewing the licence every year.

Memories are great.
    Going to the Fingal Scout Hall for the "Junk Sale".
    Colum EI3H was very patient and encouraging on the call ins.
    The Baggot Street EIs after the news on Sunday Mornings giving the addresses for the rarer DXpeditions. Receiving a "decent" callbook every year with lots of additional info. Yes the qsl cards every month.
    Paul EI2CA was excellent on the news call ins too.
    The regular winter night EI QSOs.
    Regular morning and evening activities on EI1DK and during the summer months the amount of G and GW stations using the repeater.
    The HF and VHF field Days.
    The novelty has surely worn off now.
    The old rivalry between the ARSI and IRTS etc. etc. etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement