Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Java Projects

Options
  • 04-12-2012 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Ive recently started doing Java again. I done it in college and worked with it for a year and a half but havent touched it in over 4 years. So im going back over it all now. Im doing the tutorials at: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/index.html.

Im looking for projects. Nothing mad, even just the kind of stuff you would get throughout the year in first/second year college. I just want them so i can familiarize myself again with a lot of the functions that are common in Java but i wouldnt have used in a long time. Stuff like indexOf and charAt and stuff like that (ill also take more complext things if people have them too). So if there are any students on here who have projects like that id really appreciate it if you could send them on to me. Or if people know sites where stuff I could get briefs for things like that, that would be great too.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

I'll have a look around for old notes.

I remember a second year project was to make a working calculator (including GUI).... There was a majong type game if I recall correctly too.

Try http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=25 vids. The New Boston is great for revision and just learning in general really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I remember one second year assignment was to make a Pong clone. A card game with simplified rules, like BlackJack might be a good idea as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I've only just started java i'm bout 12 weeks in but here is our assignment for this week might be a bit simple for you i found validating the numbers was the toughest.

Write a program to play a guessing game with the user. The computer generates a
    random integer between 1 and 100 and the user has 10 attempts to guess the number.
    With each incorrect guess the program should print out a hint telling the user to go
    higher or lower. When the user guesses correctly the game should end regardless of
    how many guesses the user has left. The game should also end when the user runs out
    of guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

You could always try some of the maths problems at Project Euler, which I only just came across two weeks ago. The first two problems were quite doable but I got stuck trying to figure out how to do the third one in an efficient manner. The problems look interesting but I'm already working and studying at the same time so I don't have enough free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭moycullen14

You could develop a simple internet search engine based on some sort of page ranking. Maybe you could sell some targeted advertising and make a few bob. Might be worth a few hundred billion to you.

OR

What about a web site where people witter on inanely about things and other people visit the site and 'follow' them?

OR

A web site where people write whatever come into there head and other people look at it. Very useful for stalkers. Like+. You should aim to have a billion users in a year. You might need to think about capacity & bandwidth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

You could develop a simple internet search engine based on some sort of page ranking. Maybe you could sell some targeted advertising and make a few bob. Might be worth a few hundred billion to you.

OR

What about a web site where people witter on inanely about things and other people visit the site and 'follow' them?

OR

A web site where people write whatever come into there head and other people look at it. Very useful for stalkers. Like+. You should aim to have a billion users in a year. You might need to think about capacity & bandwidth.

Unfortunately all of those require you to be from a stinking rich family and attending an Ivy league university in the states :p

• Registered Users Posts: 42 discodowney

Think the blackjack idea will do fine. Gonna try make an android app for counting cards then after i think. Not for any monetary advantages, but just cos id like to do Android stuff so need a pet project.

Advertisement