Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz - Saturday December 8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Can't wait for this card has the potential to be one of the best cards of the year. Hope Siver KO's Phan in epic fashion, all of the fights are ones I would be happy to watch. Wonder are ESPN doing the 2 hour prelims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Soo feckin excited for this. Here's the Road to the Octagon yoke for it

I cannot get over the sheer adorableness of Shogun painting his daughter's nails for her.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Am I wrong in thinking that Shogun is value @2.87??

This is the best main card in a long time IMO! Cannot wait for this! Booked leave from work so have the weekend off work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

This is the best main card in a long time IMO! Cannot wait for this! Booked leave from work so have the weekend off work :)

I think it's good value. I think Shogun is a massive step up in competition for him so I'll be throwin' a few bob on him.

I actually just bought a house and I'm getting keys Friday, best weekend ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

Couldn't believe that price when I seen it! Gustafson is good but big big step here and shogun is a warrior.
    I'll be having a good bet on Henderson I think he is gonna destroy Diaz , snap him in half with leg kicks . Then win by tko.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I just don't understand the buzz thats still around Shogun. Yes he was great in PRIDE, but he has been far from the same fighter since.

His knees are destroyed, he has been consistently injured, he refuses to join a proper fight team, lets himself get out of shape and has very suspect cardio.

He has fought 9 times in the UFC and lost 4 times. Who else with a 5-4 record do people really still think is one of the elite in the division. Frankly I think the only person of mention he has beaten in recent years was a quick knockout of Lyoto. Who he admittedly went for as he didn't think he could last a full fight like their previous encounter.

Everyone else he has beaten in the UFC has been over the hill.

Gustafasson will more than likely outwork him and pick him apart from a distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Rory, Shogun and Bendo treble...nearly 6/1 with patrick powers....thank you kind sir:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

I think this card is better than some of the numbered events this year!

I wasn't a fan of the Diaz brothers for a long time, but they are growing on me and I am not much of a Henderson fan, so I'll be cheering for Nate this time out.

I'll probably cheer Gustaffson against Shogun, I mean I like Shogun, but it would be pointless if he wins - is he gonna get another shot and defeat to Bones if he wins? I'd prefer to see Gustaffson win as I think it would be better for the overall health of the LHW division in the future. Bones needs new opposition!

The fight I am most looking forward to is BJ V MacDonald, it would be nice to see a Penn win for old time's sake and just to show he can still do it when he wants, but I just think Rory will have too much for him. Interesting to see if the new "fit" Penn will actually last 3 rounds without gassing.

Pity Chiesa got injured, but still some other fights there on the lower card that are better on paper than some of the main card fights recently!

I've also just realised that I will be away this weekend so I won't see it... ****! Oh well, I'll have to record it and watch it Sunday! I keep falling asleep before the main event anyway when I stay up to watch it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Letsdoit

Gonna go with Gustafson Penn and Diaz. At 10/1 just have a good feeling about Penn

I just don't understand the buzz thats still around Shogun. Yes he was great in PRIDE, but he has been far from the same fighter since.

His knees are destroyed, he has been consistently injured, he refuses to join a proper fight team, lets himself get out of shape and has very suspect cardio.

He has fought 9 times in the UFC and lost 4 times. Who else with a 5-4 record do people really still think is one of the elite in the division. Frankly I think the only person of mention he has beaten in recent years was a quick knockout of Lyoto. Who he admittedly went for as he didn't think he could last a full fight like their previous encounter.

Everyone else he has beaten in the UFC has been over the hill.

Gustafasson will more than likely outwork him and pick him apart from a distance.

I think 5-4 is a harsh look at the record since the Hendo fight was very close and a fookin classic, and also he clearly beat Machida in their first fight.

I agree he doesn't look much of a threat to Jones but we seen in the Vera fight he is still a top LHW that can knock people out.

I'm still not all the way sold on Gus to be honest, (didn't he get dropped by Silva in his last fight?) but if he beats Shogun he's right up there for a title shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

I think 5-4 is a harsh look at the record since the Hendo fight was very close and a fookin classic, and also he clearly beat Machida in their first fight.

I agree he doesn't look much of a threat to Jones but we seen in the Vera fight he is still a top LHW that can knock people out

He also struggled against Mark Coleman, personally I thought Coleman was hard done by in that fight.

At one point he was one of the best in the world, but its been a long time since he has had any kind of consistent form, or had a clear outstanding performance. Don't get me wrong I would love to see an old Shogun back, but I think his best fighting days are well and truly behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

He also struggled against Mark Coleman, personally I thought Coleman was hard done by in that fight.

At one point he was one of the best in the world, but its been a long time since he has any kind of consistent form, or had a clear outstanding performance. Don't get me wrong I would love to see an old Shogun back, but I think he best fighting days are well and truly behind him.

Yo make some good points but I think the 5-4 record isn't so bad. I think because Jones is so far ahead of everyone at the top of the 205 division people forget just how competitive the division is. Shogun, Hendo, Machida, & Evans are all in a weird mix up there and could all beat each other on any given day.

But I agree that a lot of people let Shogun's past cloud their judgement of him these days. He's still quality but only on his day. When he's not 100% he's not the Shogun of old.

He's like a LHW BJ Penn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Big Shogun fan but he's gonna lose this fight going by his yo-yo record the last few years.

LOSS-WIN-LOSS-WIN-LOSS-WIN= NEXT FIGHT LOSS

Hope I am wrong of course

Ush1 wrote: »
    I actually just bought a house and I'm getting keys Friday, best weekend ever!

UFC party is USH's gaff on Sat lads!

Don't bother with BYOB, the Milkybars are on him! :pac:

MrStuffins wrote: »
    UFC party is USH's gaff on Sat lads!

Don't bother with BYOB, the Milkybars are on him! :pac:

Doors open, wreck the gaff!!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Doors open, wreck the gaff!!!:pac:

You'll regret that on Saturday when about 20 blokes in Tapout t-shirts knock on your door!

Dean09 wrote: »
    You'll regret that on Saturday when about 20 blokes in Tapout t-shirts knock on your door!

TO DO LIST:

Build Octagon in back garden.:p

Seriously though, no tapout t-shirts allowed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

TO DO LIST:

Build Octagon in back garden.:p

Seriously though, no tapout t-shirts allowed!

What about shorts? :p

What about shorts? :p
    Shorts are compulsory. No funny business allowed. It's not that sort of party!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Just watched that video and to be totally honest it was terrible.

Is it me or does it look like BJ is mentally all over the place ? On seeing that video, I really don't think he is going to win the fight.

Shogun will take a decision in an entertaining fight. Shogun will land the better shots and take the decision.

Going with Diaz in the main.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

unknown13 wrote: »
    does it look like BJ is mentally all over the place ?

yes it does.... but whats new : ) I think he's a bit of psycho that's why I love the guy... actually considers the octagon the way Gladiators considered the Colosseum... as he should : )... fighting was never about money to him he's always had something to prove... rich kid constantly fighting taken under a martial arts teachers wing to channel his aggression... he's a real life Karate Kid movie! I will fukin love it if he beats Rory!! Think I remember somethin about BJ turnin up to an Irish MMA event years back (prob ROT or somethin)... could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

At one point he was one of the best in the world, but its been a long time since he has had any kind of consistent form, or had a clear outstanding performance. Don't get me wrong I would love to see an old Shogun back, but I think his best fighting days are well and truly behind him.

As was said he beat Machida in the first and Hendo fight was close. How was Coleman hard done by when he couldn't defend himself? In that case Shogun was hard done by in the Forest fight. Really annoys me when people try discredit Shogun. Second most talented guy in the division and a legend of the sport. Think he can beat Gus anyway he wants. Lay and pray if he wants. Looking forward to seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Yea im not buying this motivated BJ again, i bought into it too many times

If he was saying all this at 155lb i might be interested, but BJ is not and was never a welterweight, even though he won the belt, he was a really talented lightweight who was better than the welterweight champion, if that makes any sense

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Xlami wrote: »
    As was said he beat Machida in the first and Hendo fight was close. How was Coleman hard done by when he couldn't defend himself? In that case Shogun was hard done by in the Forest fight. Really annoys me when people try discredit Shogun. Second most talented guy in the division and a legend of the sport. Think he can beat Gus anyway he wants. Lay and pray if he wants. Looking forward to seeing it.

Shogun can beat most fighters in the division, but Shogun doesnt always show up in shape, very rarely does in fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Think I remember somethin about BJ turnin up to an Irish MMA event years back (prob ROT or somethin)... could be wrong.

He was a judge on Rings: Reborn, Chris Brennan was one of the others. No pressure there at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

unknown13 wrote: »

Is it me or does it look like BJ is mentally all over the place ? On seeing that video, I really don't think he is going to win the fight.

I got that feeling too. He seems to living on past glory. Constantly talking about his past achievements and how he wants to regain that but I'm not buying it. If he was really serious he'd drop to 155. I'll still back him on Saturday. My head says MacDonald but heart says BJ.

I'm going to go with Swick, Gustafson, Penn and Henderson but I'd be happy to be wrong too.

Here's Danas vlog

Anyone else find his comment on the bull rider with the separated shoulder petty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RainMaker wrote: »
    I think this card is better than some of the numbered events this year!
    The FX and Fuel cards lower tier than the numbered events but not the Fox ones.

SevereMMA wrote: »
    Yea im not buying this motivated BJ again, i bought into it too many times

If he was saying all this at 155lb i might be interested, but BJ is not and was never a welterweight, even though he won the belt, he was a really talented lightweight who was better than the welterweight champion, if that makes any sense
    Makes perfect sense to me. Echos what I said on a different thread. When BJ gets motivated and gets in shape it highlights the fact he's is and always was a lightweight.

I'm still buying into it though. Mostly because I don't want to see him end it like this.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

Nate the Great is going to put an ass whupping on bad ben.

interesting to see if ben will try to wrestle, given nate's bjj skills.

expect fireworks.

this won't last the five.

First UFC card in a long long time that I've been pumped for.

Only two events I've stayed up to watch all year were Sonnen Silva and Diaz Condit.

#209forLife

#CesarGracieJiuJitsu

#That'sWhat'sUpMuthaf***as!!!!

What's with the hashtags??
    This ain't twitter!

I really can't see Nate beating Henderson.
    Bendo has him beat in all aspects of the fight.
    He has a lot more power. Especially with those leg kicks. One of his thighs is as thick as Nates whole body.
    He has a gas tank to go ten rounds if he needed.
    He has excellent wrestling.
    Excellent submission defence.

Nates boxing won't trouble him as he has a decent chin, and Nate hasn't got ko power anyway.
    Nates BJJ won't bother him as Bendo is no slouch on the ground either.

I just can't see Nate having any way of beating him tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

Dean09 wrote: »
    What's with the hashtags??
    This ain't twitter!

I really can't see Nate beating Henderson.
    Bendo has him beat in all aspects of the fight.
    He has a lot more power. Especially with those leg kicks. One of his thighs is as thick as Nates whole body.
    He has a gas tank to go ten rounds if he needed.
    He has excellent wrestling.
    Excellent submission defence.

Nates boxing won't trouble him as he has a decent chin, and Nate hasn't got ko power anyway.
    Nates BJJ won't bother him as Bendo is no slouch on the ground either.

I just can't see Nate having any way of beating him tbh.
    Agree 100% Nate has little pigeon legs and I can see bendo snapping them with Nast leg kicks and probably setting him up for a head kick. So Diaz will wanna bring a pillow into the cage because he's going asleep

Nate the Great is going to put an ass whupping on bad ben.

interesting to see if ben will try to wrestle, given nate's bjj skills.

expect fireworks.

this won't last the five.

First UFC card in a long long time that I've been pumped for.

Only two events I've stayed up to watch all year were Sonnen Silva and Diaz Condit.

#209forLife

#CesarGracieJiuJitsu

#That'sWhat'sUpMuthaf***as!!!!

Have you any inside info on Diaz's camp being from the 209? Because from what I've seen of both men I'd be surprised with anything but a UD for Benson. Apart from beating a sick Jim Miller Diaz has never looked good against a wrestler/judoka. Both of which Ben is exceptional at. Not a huge fan of Ben so wouldn't begrudge Nate the win but can't see it happening. Benson, too strong, too well rounded and mentally tough to get caught up in Diaz's head games.

Bendo SHOULD win this.............

But something in me REALLY wants to see Nate Diaz with the UFC Championship belt! It's an absolutely mental thought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

Really is a quality event. Going with Diaz, Penn and Shogun more out of nostalgia then anything. Would love to see Penn beat Rory but sadly can't see that happening. Shan't be watching this live as the last fox event I watched did my head in with adds but will watch it the next day.

For those BJ fans there he posted an interesting documentary on his website ( http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/12/6/3734914/ufc-on-fox-5-video-a-portrait-of-bj-penn-mini-documentary ) There's defo a few screws loose in him but that's what I love about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

BJ gave Rory the I can't wait to lick your blood off my gloves stare down at the presser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

I'm actually looking forward to the Denis Siver vs. Nam Phan fight. That should be a scrap and a half.

Would love to see Shogun run through The Mauler but alas the kid has skills. If he uses that height and reach well he could pick him off just like Jones.

I can see Bendo out muscling Nate even though I would love Diaz to stop that man doing the creepiest smile on the planet. I thought Frankie beat Bendo twice but sure I'm not one to hold a grudge. Sort of.

Noone can accuse Penn of taking an easy fight back so hopefully we have a Penn that's out for blood. However McDonald is too clever and technical a fighter to let BJ take the fight where he wants it to go. So I can see Rory taking a decision in this one.

Nice to see Swick fight again. He should be well able to take Matt Brown. Brown has fought some decent competition in the past but Swick should be the more capable and intelligent fighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Bendo SHOULD win this.............

But something in me REALLY wants to see Nate Diaz with the UFC Championship belt! It's an absolutely mental thought!

Lets hope we see something like this in the process! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

weigh in;

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-on-fox-5-henderson-vs-diaz-full-weigh-ins

shogun and penn not lookin too lean

looked like nick diaz was getting ready to jump in at the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Stooped

My picks:

257286.png

Stooped wrote: »
    My picks:

257286.png

That's a lot of decisions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Has anybody figured out what time the Facebook prelims are starting? The main event starts at 1am as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭soundmangar

rain on wrote: »
    Has anybody figured out what time the Facebook prelims are starting? The main event starts at 1am as far as I can see.
    Think it's bout 8pm for the Facebook fights. Are all the main card fights televised when its a fox show? God I hope so

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Stooped

That's a lot of decisions!

That's what I thought to myself after I finished :P

Think it's bout 8pm for the Facebook fights. Are all the main card fights televised when its a fox show? God I hope so

Ah clashes with CW so. Espn has it scheduled for 2 and a quarter hours. That should cover it? Think I'll record whatever's on after just incase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

rain on wrote: »

I *think* it's around 9.30pm GMT, going by this post which says it's 4.30pm ET (-5 GMT)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Bet365 says 9pm.

Why isn't on yet.....ive been waiting ages

Why isn't on yet.....ive been waiting ages

If you can't wait anymore you could always go back to the future!

• Advertisement
Advertisement