Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sql advice

• 04-12-2012 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hope im posting this in the right place.

My problem is i downloaded sql 2008 express edition and MS SSMS for a course im doing. I have my desktop set up with me as admin and me also as a user so as i can do work on the pc without being in admin user, (supposed to be safer i was told). This works fine for all my other programs, but with MS SSMS i cant create any new databases to work with. I went back into admin and allowed myself (well i thought i did) to be a user. When i open up a database in admin mode i can see myself as a user ,but when i go back as a normal user it wont allow me to create a new database. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

You need to give the general user permissions to create databases (dbcreator) through Management studio, standard users do not by default have permissions to create DB's

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dom17

thanks uch

ok tell me if im wrong

open management suite in admin user
    open security tab up
    right click on users
    click on new user
    create myself as new user
    there are then 2 sets of boxes
    1 owned schema 2 role members
    neither have db_creator

could it be datawriter and if so which one do i choose 1 owned schema 2 role members or both

or am i in the wrong area all-together

thanks

please forgive my ignorance but i am new to this

[Removed Image]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

thanks heroics
    but as im new to this i don't really understand what they're saying, obviously the highlighted text is inserted somewhere but where im not sure
    thanks again will try youtube

you know monkey see monkey do

No problem

Try this

Log into the server as the admin - Open SSMS and on the left hand window go to security - logins. right click on your username and select properties. Under server roles make sure you have dbcreator selected

Or in the top left corner select new query and paste in the script from the link above but replace the <login name> with your username.

• Advertisement

you are aptly named heroics worked a treat thanks very much i owe you a pint/coffee
    thanks again

No problem

Advertisement