Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VOIP Softphone recommendations

• 04-12-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Does anyone have any experience with VOIP softphones. I currently use X-Lite 5 free edition. It is very basic but good when it works. When someone rings it takes a second to react. It also has trouble opening when i turn the computer off - sometimes i have to ring the number from a mobile to get it to appear.

I do not have this epxerience with Skype. And i have UPC 50MB broadband

Has anyone bought the paid version "Bria". And would it make a big difference?

Tks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Have you tried Linphone?

I never clicked with X-lite ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You could also try Zoiper it allows you to configure multiple sip accounts in the free version.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I use the 3CX softphone and find it very responsive and don't have any issues with it.

I never really liked the xlite either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nanoman

Ah, i knew this would happen.

So i have 3 options: 3CX, Zoiper, Linphone.

Anyone have any advice as to which as i dont want to set up all 3.

My main problem with X-Lite is that it is very slow to react e someone rings and the call doesn't pop up for about 6/7 seconds

Tks

There is no reason you cannot install the three and try them for yourself to see which suits you and your hardware best.

• Advertisement

I tried to install Linphone but got an error: "The specified port is in use: 5060 (TCP)".

I think the message appears because i am already using XLIte. Do i have to remove it before i can install another softphone?

Nanoman wrote: »
    I tried to install Linphone but got an error: "The specified port is in use: 5060 (TCP)".

I think the message appears because i am already using XLIte. Do i have to remove it before i can install another softphone?

No but you do have to stop it.

..... or else change the port one of them uses in the settings for that application. You should be able to change the port in Linphone if you wish.

The port can only be used by one app at a time.

No idea how to change a port!

Just uninstalled Xlite and installed 3CX and it works so far! WIll update in a few days to tell how its going,

Cheers

Linphone on the desltop allows me to select ports of choice in the settings.

On the Android phone, in the settings, under Network, there is the facility to untick "Use standard ports" .... so I guess that might do something similar ... but I have not checked as I do not normally have two VOIP clients running at the same time - there being no need as one client will register multiple accounts.

3CX is working very well so far, much faster than X-Lite. On both the PC and iphone

Am looking to have the same phone number on 2 more computers so that the phone can be answered by anyone on either of the 3 computers. Any advice on how to do that?

Cheers

• Advertisement

3CX is working very well so far, much faster than X-Lite. On both the PC and iphone

Am looking to have the same phone number on 2 more computers so that the phone can be answered by anyone on either of the 3 computers. Any advice on how to do that?

Cheers

Same way you did the other one.
    Test to ensure that your provider allows multiple registrations for each 'line' by ringing the number and ensuring all clients show an incoming call.

Cheers, will be setting it up shortly and will let you know how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Heya nanoman, just wondering how this worked out for you, we're looking to do something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 eamo4648

Never recommend a soft phone especially to a friend

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Cheers, will be setting it up shortly and will let you know how it goes

How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rowshi

My company is using the paid version of Bria, but I have to say it's not worth the money. Especially with the licensing scheme. It seems to be licensed on a per-user basis, so if you've a computer where multiple people log in and set-up bria, each of those users eats up a license. I would prefer a per-installation license, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Also, Bria doesn't handle changing audio devices well at all. This has caused no end of headaches with my users when they want to plug in a USB headset. Most of the time (but not all of the time which is what causes the most frustration) Bria will require restarting to use the new audio device. It claims to have "Zero-touch" audio device configuration, but in practice it seems to fail more often than it works.

Finally, Bria's memory utilization is quite high for what it does. It spawns quite a few "awesomium.exe" processes when launched to build it's less than stellar user interface and each of these takes up about 4MB of your memory. On top of that Bria itself takes up a *huge* chunk of memory (126 MB at a fresh lauch of the program.)

Over-all I would not recommend it.

Advertisement