Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sleeping on belly?

Options
  • 04-12-2012 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭

I can't seem to get my 5 wk old to nap any other way than on his belly. He sleeps fine on his back at night but during the day he won't settle this way. He naps in the travel cot in the same room as me so I keep a very close eye on him and I have the angelsounds monitor with sensor pad as well just in case. I know its not recommended obviously. Anyone else find the same? He's my 2nd and 1st wasn't a good Napper either so its a relief that he does sleep even if its not ideal.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think whatever way the fall asleep is fine, as long as you position them on their backs after it. My guy easily falls asleep on his side but once he is asleep I put him on his back and he is fine.

If you cant, then talk to your GP - loads of our generation were put to sleep on our tummies /side and are fine, and with the sensor mat your GP might think that its fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

My daughter is 6.5 months and has never slept on her back. She has been on her side for the last few months but the first 3 months she could only sleep on her stomach.
    I tried to put her on her back at first but she couldn't sleep, not even a second.
    Has your baby got good head control?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

lounakin wrote: »
    My daughter is 6.5 months and has never slept on her back. She has been on her side for the last few months but the first 3 months she could only sleep on her stomach.
    I tried to put her on her back at first but she couldn't sleep, not even a second.
    Has your baby got good head control?

He can turn his head from either side to the other when asleep on his stomach so yes I think for a 5wk old he has good head control?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

My baby could lift up her head and even turn around so I wasn't too worried. I can't tell you that it's a good idea, just that I did it because it was the only way she slept. I also read that more danger arises when the child is sick/weak or premature. The only thing that concerned me was that she would vomit a lot, but when it happened she'd wake up and turn her head the other way. That would wake me up and I'd clean her and put her back to sleep.
    Just make sure you're always in the same room.

Advertisement