Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding chickens meat?

• 04-12-2012 4:28pm

I recently purchased a few hens. We mainly feed them chicken feed but also dinner scraps and peelings. The other day there was a small bit of mince beef left and I gave it to them and they loved it.

Is this wrong? Does it do them any harm.

Novice Hen keeper.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I'm no expert in chickens but I'd imagine it won't do them any harm, they eat insects and the like so a little mince is unlikely to do them any damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My granny always throws any left over chicken to the chooks, they love it, horrible little cannibals. But their eggs taste divine, I dont know how much of a difference that makes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Chickens will eat damn near anything, ours will even brazen it out over a dead mouse with one of our cats and the larger chickens can swallow a dead mouse whole.

One good thing is they tend not to eat too much of any one food and if given room will graze a bit of anything thats going, which in our yard has included, plasterboard, foam pipe insulation and polystyrene but we never noticed any ill effects.

• Plaster board and insulation. I've plenty of that lying around.:D
    Not to worry then. Thanks for the replies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

My chickens love meat :)especially shepards pie.I give them everything except chicken

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It'll be grand for them. Hens need a good mixed diet with plenty of greens - give them all those trimmings from cabbage and sprouts, and carrot peels and so on. Mine used to particularly love the insides of peppers. And rashers (not that salt is good for hens, but an occasional treat....

I used to make a Finnish yogurt called viilli, and they gobbled that up happily every day. Loved it.

Advertisement