Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to encrypt/password-protect files for sending via email

Options
  • 04-12-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭

Hi
    How can i encrypt a folder in windows 7. I want to send them in an email to someone.
    I thought this would be simple. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just basic password-protection.
    I'd like to do it without having to download 3rd party software either (because i couldn't be sure if the other person would have the ability to open it then).
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Pretty sure you'll need 3rd party software. Zip files can have basic password protection. More or less everyone has software that can deal with zip files now (unzip is built into windows, not sure if it supports passwords though).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yea, pretty much most types of compression software like Winrar has password protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i'd hardly call zip file passwords secure though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

7Zip is free and supports decent encryption methods for its own .7z format. Of course the receiver would need to have 7zip or a program capable of opening 7z files installed, but for encryption to work both parties will need to have a program supporting the encryption regardless of the kind

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Check out Truecrypt.
    Its free, open source, and a pretty comprehensive encryption solution.
    Easy to install and works.
    Be aware that you wont be getting your files back if you encrypt them and then forget your password/encryption key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    i'd hardly call zip file passwords secure though.

Depends on your definition. I mean I wouldn't call it "government level" secure, but I'd call it "average joe" secure. It really depends on the amount of effort you think the other party will expend in trying to view your zip file. In most cases the existence of a password would be enough to put the vast majority of punters off.

Advertisement