Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest Spinning/Kettlebells Certifications in Ireland?

• 04-12-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

I'm currently a REPS qualified Gym Instructor and Personal Trainer. Looking to get hired in any gym around Dublin as I just need a full time job at the moment. However, nearly every position available requires the candidate to be qualified to teach spin/suspension/kettlebell/ box-exercise classes. I have some experience with all of these from my PT course, but I just don't have the piece of paper required to teach them. From what I'v seen I'll have to spend over €300 on each of these. Having just spent €2500 on the Gym Instructor/PT courses I can't really afford much more at the moment.

Anyone know of any cheaper courses to get certified?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

protempo.ie do a kettlebell one for €150

I have not done it, have no idea who they are or what its like. I just heard it mentioned by a fellow trainer. Check it out for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 danceash

i have done the protempo kettlebell course.its a full day usually 9-5 and you get your cert on the day then.i find them good and cheap enough to get your cert. i have done 4 of their day courses.its reebok that actually certify you then. protempo.ie seem to just advertise the courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you do find one you would want to ring around and see if it is recognised/acceptable. If you find out they accept any old cert you could have your mate train & certify you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Zen machine

i wouldnt recommend the reebok one,the instruction wasnt good ,accompanying hand drawn notes terrible and 1 day isnt near enough time to coach the basic lifts to a decent degree.Youll get the cert no matter what,no quality control,there were people on the course who couldnt do the lifts at all and with extremely limited basic exercise science knowledge,they passed no bother.There was a written test at the end that anyone could pass with zero qualifications.If i were doing another one id pick the RKC if it was in ireland,its a solid course with an actual physical test to pass,they dont hand out certs like smarties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Stay away from reebok and pro tempo!

Agatsu, RKC, hell ... even FFI

Spining.com for spinning, if it is indoor cycling, there are lots of course providors but the standard is piss poor teaching you biomechanically incorrect position on an indoor bike ... NTC do one that is supposed to be okay, Schwinn UK do courses occasionally in Ireland and will come here if you ask ... there is also spinning.com for the actual spinning course and spinning and schwinn courses have a large focus on cycling science, physiology and heart rate training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Medme

Avoid pro tempo/reebok for spin/cycle at least.
    Yes you can pay a few hundred quid, spend a day and walk away with a 'cert'. But honestly it's not worth the paper it's written on and any half knowledgable gym manager that will be interviewing you will likely agree.
    +1 for Schwinn or try multitrax uk -im not 100% sure they still run but I'm sure google will tell you, i originally certified with them in London in '06, less technical than schwinn but not a bad starting point and they were for a long time one of the better freestyle spin courses around in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fit1

Have just completed the Reebok course and I have to agree...stay away from it. The instructor is terrible. Getting lads with no k'bell experience whatsoever to use heavy kettlebells while learning moves?? If I was showing somebody in a gym how to do bicep curls correctly I wouldn't give them a set of heavy dumbells to start with. Get technique correct and then go heavier.She didn't seem to grab that concept. With some of the more technical moves she'll have an accident on her hands soon I reckon!Also the warm up is awful...basically step aerobics. The lads on the course were all in the same boat...no coordination.But no leeway given or even an option to devise a warm up of their own that they would be comfortable with. She was also quite impatient at times and not a huge help to people that were struggling. As mentioned above everybody got their certs but normally I love courses like this...love a good days training and then looking forward to starting classes. Not so with this...found the day long and unenjoyable. I won't be attending any more Reebok courses.

Advertisement