Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Login and Register buttons - which way around?

• 04-12-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

This is possibly more of a philosophical ramble than something which is going to radically change my site, but I'm curious to see what people think.

Messing around with a new site. Home page is a landing page with various introductory blurb, then centered underneath, a login button and a register button side by side.

No registration form or anything, just the buttons, which take you to the appropriate page.

Question is, which button goes on the left?

I'd instinctively put Login and then Register, though that may be more due to the fact that the Register image I'm using has a big right pointing arrow, so would have looked weird on the left.

From a quick straw poll on Google images, it looks like the Login button is usually on the left.
    Since most people are right handed, and tend to hover towards the right of the screen, putting the Register button on the right means marginally less effort to click it.

Putting Login on the right is slightly easier for regular visitors. But then a lot of them won't need to log in if there's a cookie set, they're probably less likely to land on the home page, and they're already committed anyway, so new users are more important.

Yes, I'm completely overthinking this, but I'm wondering if there's a generally accepted order, and if so, why.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Login first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

I've never thought about it before.

Looking back I've just always had log-in first. Couldn't give you any rationale as to why though.

Advertisement