Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are peoples opinions on building providers closing for lunch?

Options
  • 04-12-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

This never used to be an issue for me... but with the current economic climate .... time really is money... last week I decided to take my lunch in the car and go and get some supplies at about 20 past 1... went to my local provider having forgotten it closes from 1-2 .... I was really pissed off when I got there and thought to myself why cant they stagger there lunches and stay open like most other shops....... surely lunchtime is when a lot of people would want to get materials to save having to stop production multiple times or have an early or late break.

But yeah it didnt open back up till like 18 past 2 so an hour of hanging around for me.

Does this affect other people as well?? or is it just me who gets annoyed with the lack of customer service in some shops haha...

Curious to here other peoples opinions,
    Steven.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Heiton Buckleys and Chadwicks only close for 30 minutes..from 1pm-1:30pm.

They are open from 8am..so closing for 30 minutes isnt the end of the world.

Some builders providers open at 7am in the morning.

All builders providers are open on Saturdays too,from 8am till 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

It just seems to me the ideal time to get supplies would be on peoples lunches though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

slpower01 wrote: »
    This never used to be an issue for me... but with the current economic climate .... time really is money... last week I decided to take my lunch in the car and go and get some supplies at about 20 past 1... went to my local provider having forgotten it closes from 1-2 .... I was really pissed off when I got there and thought to myself why cant they stagger there lunches and stay open like most other shops....... surely lunchtime is when a lot of people would want to get materials to save having to stop production multiple times or have an early or late break.

But yeah it didnt open back up till like 18 past 2 so an hour of hanging around for me.

Does this affect other people as well?? or is it just me who gets annoyed with the lack of customer service in some shops haha...

Curious to here other peoples opinions,
    Steven.

Agree 100% with and can't figure out why businesses do this in this day and age. Have tried to get stuff in builders providers at lunch time before to find them closed - ended up going to Woodies (a store i detest but needs must). Doesn't make sense from a business point of view..

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Always thought it was strange too. Every other shop stays open so why not them? I suppose they are geared for local builders who take lunch at that time. Bit old fashioned. It will take competition to get them to cop on.

Jaysus lads...will yous lay off the builders providers....they have a small amount of staff and are entitled to their lunch too

At least they are still operating,sell to the public and are alot cheaper than some well known DIY stores.
    The que out the door in my local providers on a friday afternoon or saturday morning is unreal....builders and also general public too.

In the construction sector......Builders and contractors (of all types) usually go on their work time to get supplies in a builders providers.

Builders and contractors usually have lunch (40 minutes) from around 12,45pm onwards....as per the CIF
    This has allways been the case,so the builders providers close for lunch at the same times too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

Just an example - Brooks open @ 7:30 am and take 30 minutes for lunch - just organise your time around them

http://www.brooksgroup.ie/branches/#map_top

(click on a location for their hours in the description tab)

homer911 wrote: »
    Just an example - Brooks open @ 7:30 am and take 30 minutes for lunch - just organise your time around them

http://www.brooksgroup.ie/branches/#map_top

(click on a location for their hours in the description tab)

Heitons and Chadwicks open at 8am and only close for 30 minutes too,at lunchtime.

Grange open at 7:30am.

Monday - Friday:
    7:30 - 1 & 2 - 5:30

Saturday:
    7:30 - 1

Its not that hard to work around with regards going to a builders providers.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

paddy147 wrote: »
    Jaysus lads...will yous lay off the builders providers....they have a small amount of staff and are entitled to their lunch too

At least they are still operating,sell to the public and are alot cheaper than some well known DIY stores.
    The que out the door in my local providers on a friday afternoon or saturday morning is unreal....builders and also general public too.

In the construction sector......Builders and contractors (of all types) usually go on their work time to get supplies in a builders providers.

Builders and contractors usually have lunch (40 minutes) from around 12,45pm onwards....as per the CIF
    This has allways been the case,so the builders providers close for lunch at the same times too.

I don't think anyone is having a go at builders providers or saying they are not entitled to their lunch Paddy. Point is that some people only have a wee while for lunch and its a good time to nip out and get something in the builders providers - unfortunately they don't open thus they lose that bit of business. That's why Woodies, B&Q etc are taking that business. Its a tough operating world out there now and you need every advantage you can get and to move with the times. Its a bit archaic in this day and age is the point being made but that's not having a go at them..

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

I dont mean it in an offensive way at all... going to builders providers does save me quite a bit of money... the strange thing is, why cant they function like 99% of other shops most places have different hours when they get their lunch... imagine the uproar if every shop in town closed from 1-2 (which is the time my local providers closes for).....

Advertisement