Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuisances

• 04-12-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Two things that irritate me.

One is that you are not allowed buy chewing gum on campus. I understand this as it is nasty for the cleaners to have to scrape off. However it is a nuisance that don't sell chewing gum but are more than happy to sell cigarettes on campus which cause even more hassle than the chewing gum.

Cigarrete smoke everywhere, as you walk out of the boole and as you walk out of the library.

Similarly why can't you book seats in the library? It would provide the library with an income and discourage the people who sit in the library study rooms to go on facebook from going. Similarly people who leave all their **** on a desk or seat and go away for lunch - you'd swear that we were by a swimming pool, the way they throw their books/laptop down as if it were a sun lounger. Either study or don't. Today every floor was packed and I couldn't find a seat. Disgraceful.

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

There are plenty of shops within spitting distance of the college that sell chewing gums so not a major inconvenience. I don't smoke but have never found the smell of smoke to be a particularly big deal when outside. You smell it for a second and that's about it. However removing chewing gum is actually rather expensive.

In regards to paying to book seats in the library. Firstly, it's not massively difficult to find a seat for the majority of the year.(I found one today with no issue) Secondly, I really couldn't afford to pay for seating in the library. I use it every day and it simply wouldn't be an option for most students to pay for seating every day. I can understand the annoyance about people leaving their stuff in seating. But charging for library seating would affect people who are genuinely utilising the library.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I agree with Corkfeen about the chewing gum issue - number of shops sell it that are not far off campus. I disagree that the cigarettes are a bigger nuisance than chewing gum, it costs a whole lot more to clean chewing gum off things!

As regards the library, I've been in there at the busiest of times and still managed to find a seat. It really wouldn't be an option to charge students to book seats - there is a booking service already for the study rooms, but it is free. I know it can be annoying at times, but if you look you will find space. I always found space on the 1st floor, but rarely on the third floor. It has always happened, and to be honest will always continue to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

deep breathes, have a ciggerette go for a lunch break (leave your stuff behind in the library) and just relax :)

no but seriously, if youre stressed out about exams, ranting on boards wont help lol, kickboxing in the gym however does :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Funnily enough CIT were ahead of UCC on this as far back as 1996 - you had to leave a piece of paper on your desk stating the time you left and were given 20 or 30 mins to be back again.

If you didn't get back in time the librarian roving around used to take your stuff off the desk and place it on the overhead shelf so as to clear the desk for the next person needing it.

There were some very short lunches taken around exam time back then :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

People talking during lectures, which distracted the lecturer, and those who were trying to listen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Funnily enough CIT were ahead of UCC on this as far back as 1996 - you had to leave a piece of paper on your desk stating the time you left and were given 20 or 30 mins to be back again.

If you didn't get back in time the librarian roving around used to take your stuff off the desk and place it on the overhead shelf so as to clear the desk for the next person needing it.

There were some very short lunches taken around exam time back then :P

This used to be the case in UCC though as well no? Before I started, but I've heard it from previous students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

This used to be the case in UCC though as well no? Before I started, but I've heard it from previous students.
    They definitely had the yellow ones around last year, I never saw anyone using them though.

Advertisement