Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Gen question

• 04-12-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hi all, the Missus had an Eircom rep on the doorstep yesterday trying to get us to switch back from Vodafone-at -home.
    He told her that our local exchange is due to be upgraded to NGB (8MB) in the next couple of weeks.
    Does this mean that our Vodafone service will automatically be upgraded to NGB ?
    As we currently use Eircom's phone lines I would assume that we will be upgraded. The Voda site seems to indicate this. Can anyone confirm this, as I would rather stay with Vodafone (they are a little cheaper, amongst other things).

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You will be upgraded automatically, it must be a rural exchange if they are only doing max 8mbit NGB.

Voda would be very interested in hearing that eircom were sending out salesmen, best tell them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Thanks Bob. Yes, rural exchange which is why I figured they were only upgrading the exchange and not touching the actual lines.

ps. To be honest , I am more interested in the lack of contention with NGB than anything else....speedtest showing between 3 to 4 MB during the day but dropping to .5 to 1 MB at night:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It will do very little for the 3-4mbit but but will sort out the nighttime issue. The DSL gear will not be upgraded which is what happens on rural exchanges that are upgraded. No wonder eircom abandoned their NGB.IE site last year as it loudly trumpeted 'up to 24mbit Uncongested Broadband'....where you will only get up to 8Mbit uncongested broadband. :)

8mbit broadband is a January 2001 standard, nothing 'next generation' about it unless you are still on dialup as far too many are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Just to finish this story.
    Contacted Voda who immediately offered me the next 6 months at 1/2 price if I stayed with them....also still waiting for exchange to be upgraded despite promise from Eircom Sales Rep that it would be done by last Friday week at the latest :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gary28482

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Just to finish this story.
    Contacted Voda who immediately offered me the next 6 months at 1/2 price if I stayed with them....also still waiting for exchange to be upgraded despite promise from Eircom Sales Rep that it would be done by last Friday week at the latest :rolleyes:
    Ngb is only available from Eircom. It is the contention ratio that is on ur line Eircom offer 1/1 ratio in ngb areas were voda u have a ratio which at min is 25/1. So that's why u see the speed drop in the evening upgrading the exchange is just putting more ports in it and voda or other networks provides still won't have ngb this is done to give Eircom customers ngb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 YoYoGotToGo

gary28482 wrote: »
    Ngb is only available from Eircom. It is the contention ratio that is on ur line Eircom offer 1/1 ratio in ngb areas were voda u have a ratio which at min is 25/1. So that's why u see the speed drop in the evening upgrading the exchange is just putting more ports in it and voda or other networks provides still won't have ngb this is done to give Eircom customers ngb

"Ngb is only available from Eircom" > Next Generation Broadband is NOT a form of broadband or a type or delivery it is simply a name used by eircom

"Ngb is only available from Eircom" Vodafone call the service enhanced broadband

It it the exact same broadband offered by eircom , EIRCOM Wholesale manages the network and provide the same service to ALL companies liscenced to carry "UNCONJESTED BROADBAND" Vodafone, Eircom Retail,
    Digiweb and UTV are licensed. There is also a legal obligation set by the communication regulator that Eircom Wholesale (the network) cannot show favor to Eircom Retail.

"were voda u have a ratio which at min is 25/1"
    The contention ratio on ANY network is 23/1 in ALL NoN NGB/Enhanced areas, Again its the same service , Eircom and vodafone rent blocks from eircom wholesale at the exact same price and contain 24 connection points. There is a possibility of a block not being fully used as there might be 15-16 connections to the last block again applying to all networks. There cannot be more than 24 connections per block its impossible and No company Eircom included load the blocks with spliters , this is impossible as no Provider has access to or deals with the exchanges with the exception of ULL exchange areas. Vodafone to not provide ULL connectons.

"voda or other networks provides still won't have ngb this is done to give Eircom customers ngb"

Vodafone and all Providers liscenced to sell Unconjested broadband have access to the NGB/ Enhanced Ports as its the terms of the Regulations .
    Eircom customers are not being given a unique service , and it also applies
    to the Fiber roll out as well all companies have access to the service that are dsl providers with the exception of one or two

Unlike eircom that DO NOT switch people automatically onto NGB as a standard 3mb 7mb package etc is far more profitable and will try lock people into a new contract to provide them with NGB the other operators will provide a free upgrade to the service.

"UNCONJESTED BROADBAND" is a term craped out on irish customers by all
    companies the term itself has no relevence to actual broadband delivery
    the contention ratio is not and never can be 1/1 on NGB DSL its anything from 2/1 to 3/1

Now please go back to the C.P.M offices talk to your RSM and request retraining as that rubbish can only come from a CPM rep

Advertisement