Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quirky traits that your pet has!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

when my jrt "sits" she wont quite put her bum on the floor/ground - anyone else notice this with theirs?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I've come to the conclusion reading this thread that all jrt's are mad unusual:D

My jrt is currently sat under my chair whilst I'm using the desk top - wouldn't mind but the chair is on its last legs and could easily collapse :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    when my jrt "sits" she wont quite put her bum on the floor/ground - anyone else notice this with theirs?

My Jack Russell x sits like an old man, with his leg slightly sticking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My Jack Russell x sits like an old man, with his leg slightly sticking out.

When my cousins jack Russel sits he crosses hit two back legs! Only did it after he got snipped its funny to watch though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have just discovered that one of my cats is going visiting one of my neighbours, he sits by her stove and has left over stew every Monday lunchtime!
    He also visits on fridays as she cooks fish, cleans the plates for her then too!
    Apparently he doesn't like carrots and picks them out!
    Cheeky little sod!
    She said he has very good manners, I had to ask "are you sure it's my cat?" it is, she told me he sits for his dinner, and always says thank you:D, thats Toby
    Always sits for left overs or raw food, and chirrups after he's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Huckster

mymo wrote: »
    I have just discovered that one of my cats is going visiting one of my neighbours, he sits by her stove and has left over stew every Monday lunchtime!
    He also visits on fridays as she cooks fish, cleans the plates for her then too!
    Cheeky little sod!
    She said he has very good manners, I had to ask "are you sure it's my cat?" it is, she told me he sits for his dinner, and always says thank you:D, thats Toby

Lol! Priceless! My cat keeps visiting the neighbours too. We don't allow him have any milk at home because his breed can be quite intolerant toit, but we noticed that every time we would see him sitting on the window waiting to be let back in, he'd have an incriminating milk moustache! Turns out he's been heading into Mary nextdoor to get his fix :P Cheeky fecker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭panevthe3rd

One of my dogs gets up and goes to bed when she hears a high pitched ding sound on the tv. She has never been trained for anything to do with a bell. Can't figure out where she picked it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Anybodies dog (who sleeps on a bed) able to magically make themselves weight about 6 kilos more than they do if you try to move them?
    Shadow's learned that Daddy won't move him off the bed if hes snoring, so hes learned to make snoring noises, even though hes wide awake, lying down with the tail going ninety. But he's snoring, so he must be asleep :rolleyes:
    When I have to move him so we can stretch our legs, he goes utterly dead. I'd have more luck shifting my house down the lane a bit :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Well my little shih tzu cross tries it out too, but he's so light anyway, he does get shoved about regardless poor thing. :D

It's really funny, to get on the bed he does a sort of run and sideways jump, like these fellows who run and then jump over a bar. Seems to take immense pleasure in landing on the bed like a trampoline.

Not when he's too sleepy though, if it's really late he'll just wait till I pick him up from the sofa and transfer him into bed like a baby. The bed is really high for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Well my little shih tzu cross tries it out too, but he's so light anyway, he does get shoved about regardless poor thing. :D

It's really funny, to get on the bed he does a sort of run and sideways jump, like these fellows who run and then jump over a bar. Seems to take immense pleasure in landing on the bed like a trampoline.

Not when he's too sleepy though, if it's really late he'll just wait till I pick him up from the sofa and transfer him into bed like a baby.

He sounds just like my Shih Tzu!! He also thinks that if he goes to bed before you, then you have no right to move him to get in. He makes that funny groan/growl noise that shows his displeasure. He also thinks that as his eyes are closed, if he can't see you, you can't see him!

It's amazing how much space an 8kg dog can take up in a bed. Me & husband are hanging off the edges. The dog is in the middle, four legs in the air and snoring like a pig, as happy as one in muck! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Not when he's too sleepy though, if it's really late he'll just wait till I pick him up from the sofa and transfer him into bed like a baby. The bed is really high for him.

Shadow (8) will get on himself no bother, unless he could not be arsed. Then he limps into the room, lies down just before the bed and shimmies the rest of the way, with very dramatic whimpering, to inform us that his arthritis is so bad that we must lift him. He's half bernese mountain dog, half bernese mountain :p
    Funny, he can run and clear the entire couch (the back of which is 3 feet high, and cushions 2 foot deep) and sprint to the front door to maul the poor postman, all in the time it takes for the poor man to get a corner of an envelope into the letterbox.

What arthritis? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

I have a 6 year old Boxer who when he is looking to eat whatever your eating he will just stand there and stare and ignore you if you try to tell him him move. When he sees me with the phone ordering a takeaway he gets all freaked out until the Delivery man arrives and then gives out to him(probably for taking so long).

He also doesnt like water,wont have a bath and walks around puddles. He also wont wallk on manholes in the ground. Loves to be rubbed if your not rubbing him he will sit with his back to you turn his head and winge. Also he snores so load we have to wake him up so we can hear the TV. But he's a legend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Maggie (a 5 month foster kitten) has decided our apartment is to cold and have started to sleep under the duvee in the bedroom in the morning. This have had some interesting add on effects along others that random bumps under the duve that are moving are jumped on by the other cats (which has included hands and toes).

This morning Maggie decided to take it a step further and started to bite my misses legs and behind and doing the whole "kicking it to death" deal on them :D. The misses was not very impressed while I was laughing like a mad man about it; I got a feeling it's going to be the couch for me tonight :pac:.

mymo wrote: »
    Cheeky little sod!

So cute :) After our poor dog passed away, we had a wake (yes I know :rolleyes:) in the house and so many of the neighbours came to see her and they all told me that she used to drop into them at certain times of the morning for a treat. She used to go missing for an hour every morning and we never knew where she went). We only learned of her secret social life after she died. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Our cat is a rescue cat. Found with a broken paw by the canal at about a week or two years old.

He is an indoors cat as we live in London and we have a friendly fox in the park beside us who has a taste for cats.

Pudders like hanging from the windows with his front paws holding on to the sash windows and his back paws hanging. He can hang for about 15 minutes with the back paws swinging util he has seen enough. You only know when he's done by the thud as he jumps off. He also manages to do this at the kitchen door which is all wooded with a small window at the top. All teh neighbours can see is a cats head about 5 feet from teh ground staring out the back window.

Also whenever he sees magpies, he makes a clicking sound. No other sounds at any other birds, just magpies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Foxes used to run when they saw my girl! :D

When I lived in London, I had a ground floor flat. One summer's night, the cat decided she didn't want to come in, so she stayed out, sleeping in her usual place in the cherry tree.

I woke up to terrific screaming. Sounded like someone was strangling the cat. I threw on a dressing gown, rushed to the front door, only to see my cat hanging off the tree on three legs and beating the fox who tried to get her a new nationality. Fox's nose was bleeding where the cat swiped him. Fox was last seen legging it in the direction of Mitcham Common as fast as his legs could carry him!!

My girl ROCKED! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Siipina

Sally, my little JR Pom Mix, sleeps every night even in the summer under the duvet. I dont know how she can breath there but the loves it. And its amazing how much space she needs. Sometimes I wake up cause she is kicking me in the back, the she is lying with her head on the pillow between me and my hubby half under the duvet just like we do and as she needs more space i get the kicks.
    When she is happy she smileys at us, she is waging the tail like mad and showing the teeth but not on the bad way, it looks so funny.
    Oh and of cause she loves the poo of my Guinea pigs, she even moved poor Grisu around, his ass on her nose just that she can reach the poo better, not that the Grisu was bothered at all. The good part, I dont have to hoover after them :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

My Yorkshire terrier will bring me a piece of her dry food as breakfast every morning without fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Every time we worm our dog, he goes absolutely batshít hyper. We took him out to the fields we walk him in after worming the other day, as he also gets the scuts after worming, and it was almost like we have given him some speed. He ended up getting a chase from a mother horse as he was getting too close to her foal. He was taking running leaps into the stream, whereas normally he will only go in if he can walk in. He was doing huge circle laps all round us.

It was actually quite funny to watch. We had forgotten that he did this the previous times also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

gimmick wrote: »
    Every time we worm our dog, he goes absolutely batshít hyper. We took him out to the fields we walk him in after worming the other day, as he also gets the scuts after worming, and it was almost like we have given him some speed. He ended up getting a chase from a mother horse as he was getting too close to her foal. He was taking running leaps into the stream, whereas normally he will only go in if he can walk in. He was doing huge circle laps all round us.

It was actually quite funny to watch. We had forgotten that he did this the previous times also.

You should probably look into alternative brands of worming tablets / talk to your vet? That could be some kind of sensitivity to the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

My bichon, won't eat his food in the kitchen, instead he takes each little biscuit thingy separately out to the hall until he has them all there in a pile and then chows down on them. I've tried closing the kitchen door when I give him food but he just takes 1 biscuit and sits by the door, giving me daggers until i open it. If I don't he simple won't eat.

He also sits outside the bathroom and waits for me to finish my shower and then licks my feet and legs clean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Aye Bosun wrote: »
    My bichon, won't eat his food in the kitchen, instead he takes each little biscuit thingy separately out to the hall until he has them all there in a pile and then chows down on them. I've tried closing the kitchen door when I give him food but he just takes 1 biscuit and sits by the door, giving me daggers until i open it. If I don't he simple won't eat.

He also sits outside the bathroom and waits for me to finish my shower and then licks my feet and legs clean!

My Jack Russell does the same! She'll get her little mouth full of biscuits and goes into the lounge or where ever I am, spits them out then picks them up one by one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Rani licks air, and clicks her jaw. In the last couple of years she's also started licking people which is very annoying because it's not just lick lick lick, it's lllliiiiicccckkkk lllliiiiicccckkkk lllliiiiicccckkkk for ages, she'll try pin your hand down so she can do it. It drives me mental.
    She likes to lie on her back, but she has to have her back legs up against something, the hotter the better.
    If she sees Tegan being petted she'll come up and sit right beside T, then slowly move her own head under your hand so that before you realise it she's shoved T out of the way.
    She likes to sit in the tiny space between me and OH on the sofa and stick her nose in someone's armpit.
    She hides under the sofa and farts.
    If you're rubbing her belly she'll kick you if you stop.

Tegan does something I call aggressive sitting: she'll come up to the sofa and sit down, because I spent ages training them to sit to be petted. If you don't start petting her quickly enough she'll stand up again and slam her arse on the floor with a thump to make sure that you know she's sitting, waiting.
    She also sits up as if to beg, but she does it to get your attention, waving her front legs in the air.
    She turns her back on you, front legs down, arse in the air, and looks back over her shoulder as if to say "Go on, scratch it, right above the tail".
    She also has a knack for standing on bladders, pressure points, and genitals, but that's probably something all dogs share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

When Jazzy(cat) has a poop he has to gallop around the house at full speed, then up the stairs and from room to room like a mad thing. He seems delighted with himself, maybe he feels lighter and more streamlined. He also likes to wake me up for breakfast by sitting on the bedside locker and poking me in the back with a paw. If I don't take the hint he sits on my head and chews my hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Dude is obsessed with carrying things. Usually it's his feather toys or a ball of tin foil but today he ran upstairs and grabbed one of my socks and galloped around the house with it delighted with himself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Beanie is my extra snooze button...i press the snooze button A LOT in the morning. He's on and off the bed throughout the night with no fuss, but if he thinks the "snooze button" malarky is going on too long, he actually SITS on me until i get up and runs straight to his food bowl. Hovering,weaving and head butting his bowl (he's not a meiower) is his way of going "hellloooo brekkie time"!!

He "chirrups" away at birds outside any of the windows.It's hilarious. Not a full on meiow (it's like a squeak at best), but chatters and stalks until he cops he cant get them. Too cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mumo3

I have two cats and neither of them will leave the house through a door!! You have to let them out the window of what ever room they decide! They jump on the windowsill and cry the loudest meow and if you ignore them down they come and try to kill you by running between your legs as you walk!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭minipink

Neither my dog or cat will drink from their dishes. The cat will drink from the dogs dish - because the dog leaves it or else he drinks from any glass that we are drinking from (with no shame) the dog will only drink from a pink watering can or fresh water streaming from the tap in the bathroom as she stands on her hind legs! So so strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mumo3

[quote="fresh water streaming from the tap in the bathroom as she stands on her hind legs! So so strange![/quote]

My mother had a dog like that, big over sized German Shepard and she'd bloody jump on you in the middle of the night to go into the bathroom and turn the tap on! ( the dog that is, not my mother)We'd have to sit there till she had enough so we could turn the tap off and go back to bed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

My dog Bliz loves to eat ice! Anytime I'm at the freezer he runs over and gives me the look that he wants a cube or two! He runs off over to the mat and eats it & if u walk over to him he runs away incase I take it off him! Bless him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

One of my cats loves drinking out of the tap! She gets her head soaked and will gladly sit at the lap licking the water and trying to catch it with her paws :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Jesse plays fetch and carries things around in her mouth, she's a cat :D She also likes nibbling the OH's ears at night, thankfully the long hair hides mine :P

The dog will roll over and grab anyone's foot towards his belly for bellyrubs if they stand still long enough :D

Bunty (cat) will go into the utility room meowing furiously in protest when someone tells her to get into bed, she'l also go downstairs if I point at the stairs and say go on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

My kitten Murph likes to play fetch with a catnip sponge toy she has. When I'm watching telly she'll drop it on my shoulder and wait for me to throw it. She then runs around the room with it in her mouth and looks totally insane.

She'll also sit on the floor outside the bathroom door waiting while I have a shower.

In these ways she's more like a dog I had some years back! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Our dog has a problem socializing with other dogs, some days shes fine but other days shes awful / barking etc.

However for some reason she loves pigs and gets on with them really well :confused:

Not ours but our neighbours have a pack of dogs (a big bunch of beautiful misfitted rescues) and when she lets them into the garden at night to do pee pees etc, they all charge out the door at high speed on top of each other, barking like maniacs! They are normally quiet dogs so its hilarious to see then behaving like a pack of deranged wolves before bed time :D

Sorry to bounce an old thread, but it isnt a time sensitive thread, so didn't want to start a new one.

Anyway, my dog absolutely refuses to drink the water that is left out for him. He will stand at the back door and just wait for us to leave him out and he will drink rain water. Or he will try and lick water out of a glass on the floor. Even if I pour water into his bowl froma glass he has managed to get a lick from, he wont touch it then. And we have even tried a few differnt bowls.

Anyone know a reason for this, or is it just a thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Sorry to bounce an old thread, but it isnt a time sensitive thread, so didn't want to start a new one.

Anyway, my dog absolutely refuses to drink the water that is left out for him. He will stand at the back door and just wait for us to leave him out and he will drink rain water. Or he will try and lick water out of a glass on the floor. Even if I pour water into his bowl froma glass he has managed to get a lick from, he wont touch it then. And we have even tried a few differnt bowls.

Anyone know a reason for this, or is it just a thing?

Are you using different bowls for water and food? Just in case he can smell food off the bowl and so it doesn't smell right to him.
    Will he eat from a bowl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Are you using ceramic bowls gimmick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

If he's drinking from a glass, try using a glass bowl for him. I think sometimes some dogs don't like the scent off plastic or stainless steel bowls.

I have a clear plastic container and a stainless steal one neither of which his majesty is that interested in. I'll try a glass dish instead so.

His food bowl is a ceramic bowl. No bother eating out if that. Obviously it's just for food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If you have a ceramic bowl anyway, I'd try that for a few days for his water. If he takes to it, you can buy a larger one for the purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mazwell

My dog has a thing about Beyonce. We were sitting watching tv one night and the video for single ladies came on and he hopped off the chair and went panting in front of the tv to watch it up close.
    Just thought he was being odd that night but ever since he sees Beyonce on the tv the chair is abandoned and he goes for the close up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Oh where do I start? Think I just have 2 weirdos, I'll just do a couple for each or I'll be here all day ;-)

My boy has to have his fruit and veg completely dried after washing, and his apples cut into tiny chunks or he won't eat them. He spends most of the day lying on his back watching tv upside down.

My lady takes her food out of the bowl to eat off the floor, when first let out in the morning she does exactly 2 and a half laps of our 1 acre garden turning at the same tree every day before coming and knocking the door to be let in :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Seamus growls and barks at random things. We were walking by a large rock in the dunes on dollymount the other day and he didn't trust that rock at all. Growled, then went over to investigate it fully. He was gruffling at a fella on a motorbike in traffic the other day.

We have his arch nemesis 'sky dog' living here (there is a skylight in the back room) and at night, skydog appears, unsurprisingly only when Seamus is standing under the skylight and the light is switched on. They bark furiously at each other, in unison until Seamus walks away or the light is switched off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

If you have a ceramic bowl anyway, I'd try that for a few days for his water. If he takes to it, you can buy a larger one for the purpose.

Curious, another thought, but have you tried bottled water instead of tap water to see if the reaction is any different?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

love all the stories... Gas animals are so funny...

Quirky things ours do, the pooch isn't too bad now but the cat is a nutter.. I know he wont drink water out of his own bowl he will always use the dogs dish..Which annoys me as I have a loverly matching set for him, and I am sure it annoys the dog also..

The cat in the mornings when you open the door the first thing he does is charges in, I am normally still in bed and go for my top and start suckling it, sounds weird but tis gas.. Or if you a wearing a tshirt and he is on your lap be prepared...

When he goes fecking nuts getting like angry fighting and that all you have to do is stick your finger in his mouth and its like unarming him, he just stops and closes his eyes.. Or cover his face he loves it..

He always forgets to close his mouth too after meowing its like he pauses.... He also has an un-nerving lack of sense regarding depth and how far things are away.. He was jumping for the dog once and instead of jumping over the couch he just ploughed into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

love all the stories... Gas animals are so funny...

Quirky things ours do, the pooch isn't too bad now but the cat is a nutter.. I know he wont drink water out of his own bowl he will always use the dogs dish..Which annoys me as I have a loverly matching set for him, and I am sure it annoys the dog also..

The cat in the mornings when you open the door the first thing he does is charges in, I am normally still in bed and go for my top and start suckling it, sounds weird but tis gas.. Or if you a wearing a tshirt and he is on your lap be prepared...

When he goes fecking nuts getting like angry fighting and that all you have to do is stick your finger in his mouth and its like unarming him, he just stops and closes his eyes.. Or cover his face he loves it..

He always forgets to close his mouth too after meowing its like he pauses.... He also has an un-nerving lack of sense regarding depth and how far things are away.. He was jumping for the dog once and instead of jumping over the couch he just ploughed into it

VonVix wrote: »
    Curious, another thought, but have you tried bottled water instead of tap water to see if the reaction is any different?

He will drink muddy water. He will drink out of puddles and a dirty bucket out the back garden. So I dont think water quality is his issue.

Another quirk, similar to another above - when I have the dog over in my folks, he always rushes to the back door. Someone opens the door, he sprints to the back left and hits the hedge with his front paws. He then sprints front right of the garden and does the same, before finally sprinting to the front left of the garden to do the same again. Once this is done, he goes about business as normal. He definitely has OCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

He will drink muddy water. He will drink out of puddles and a dirty bucket out the back garden. So I dont think water quality is his issue.

Another quirk, similar to another above - when I have the dog over in my folks, he always rushes to the back door. Someone opens the door, he sprints to the back left and hits the hedge with his front paws. He then sprints front right of the garden and does the same, before finally sprinting to the front left of the garden to do the same again. Once this is done, he goes about business as normal. He definitely has OCD.

Our dog will drink any sort of muddy mucky stagnant water, but refuses tap water. We figure she must be able to smell whatever is used to treat it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Our dog will drink any sort of muddy mucky stagnant water, but refuses tap water. We figure she must be able to smell whatever is used to treat it!

Lol that is what I was getting at. :D

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Advertisement