Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazing broadband/home phone deal from Sky!

• 04-12-2012 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Sky just called me to my home phone.

Offered me,:

Unlimited broadband (6 Meg)
    Unlimited calls Ireland and international (I specifically asked about USA/Australia) landlines
    Free wireless router etc.

€27.50 a month.

I'm happy with that :)

Was previously with Vodafone, and they were 48 (I think) for 8 Meg and UK/Ireland calls.
    UPC unavailable in my area, and with eircom/BT/Vodafone my download speeds were never above 4 Meg anyway.

Anyone else get the offer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

No but i'd be interested!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Interesting to hear they've finally launched.. Thats a decent offer in fairness, will be interesting to hear what they're offering in terms of bundles with TV..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056711403&page=6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

My vodafone is 38 per month with free landline calls and 087 after 7pm , plus that includes uk calls, my family all live in uk so it's a massive bonus for me. But this sounds great, my 12 month contract ends in jan, plus I never got a router , so I've been borrowing my bro in laws router. Thanks for that ghandee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Ghandee wrote: »

Offered me,:

Unlimited calls Ireland and international (I specifically asked about USA/Australia) landlines

€27.50 a month.

Was previously with Vodafone, and they were 48 (I think) for 8 Meg and UK/Ireland calls.
    UPC unavailable in my area, and with eircom/BT/Vodafone my download speeds were never above 4 Meg anyway.

do you need a sky dish for this? or sky subscription?
    I'm paying upc 52 a month for the same thing with 25mb speed. I'd definitely change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Do ya need a phone line ? I'm sick of 3 s wireless broadband But we don't have a phone line

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Fwiw guys, it was €20 a month for free calls after seven only, I believe he said Irish calls only, as I'm from the north (so family all up there) and the o/h does shift work, I asked for fee calls anytime (she'd be home during the day frequently) and it was only the additional €7.50 but the calls included international.

Better in my pocket and all that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Offered me,:

€27.50 a month.

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Offered me,:

€27.50 a month.

Does the price include line rental, and you'll still never get more than 4mb. It's the line not the the isp that is determining your speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

km79 wrote: »
    Do ya need a phone line ? I'm sick of 3 s wireless broadband But we don't have a phone line

Yeah, the phone line would be needed for uploading, from my understanding of their setup. Dish used for download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Schorpio

eircom/BT/Vodafone my download speeds were never above 4 Meg anyway

As far as I know, Sky broadband is just DSL. If you've previously been on a package that offered speeds faster than 4 Mbits, and you only found you were getting 4 or less, don't expect the speed to jump just because you've joined Sky.

Decent offer though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

i presume that this offer only applys to residents of northern ireland.

ted1 wrote: »
    Does the price include line rental, and you'll still never get more than 4mb. It's the line not the the isp that is determining your speed.

Good question. I'd be surprised if that did include line rental TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭irishchris

Can't see this including line rental. Line rental is €24.99 so can't see sky offering broadband national calls and line rental for a 4.99€ loss to themselves

So 48€ sounds like correct price. Would love to be wrong on this but...........

Yeah that's an all-in price.

I'm aware I'll still be on an eircom line, so the speed will remain the same.

Still great deal IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

flutered wrote: »
    Nope its launching in the Republic, hence the euro prices.

flutered wrote: »

Why would you presume that?

I'm in Kildare county.

alproctor wrote: »
    Yeah, the phone line would be needed for uploading, from my understanding of their setup. Dish used for download.
    Your understanding is wrong, its all done through the phone line.

irishchris wrote: »
    Can't see this including line rental. Line rental is €24.99 so can't see sky offering broadband national calls and line rental for a 4.99€ loss to themselves

So 48€ sounds like correct price. Would love to be wrong on this but...........
    wholesale price of line rental is different than retail.

So its costing 50 quid which is pretty poor.

From the email i received

Your journey begins

Dear

Thanks for choosing our Sky Talk and Broadband services. So you know exactly what's happening, we'll contact you at every stage of set up and let you know when your activation date is.

Your package is waiting

Sky Connect Unlimited, which offers speeds as fast as your line will go and totally unlimited usage - great for the whole family to share. We estimate that the maximum download speed your line can support will be 6.0Mbps. You can find out more about broadband speeds by clicking here

Sky Talk - fantastic calling features at your fingertips

Sky Talk Anytime which offers unlimited 1 calls to Irish landlines and unlimited calls to 20 popular international destinations including calls to USA, New Zealand and Australia. So your new package really does offer you all you need to keep you connected.

This does not include any offers that may be applicable. These will be reflected in your Sky bill when the products are active.

Sky Connect Unlimited €20

Sky Talk €1

Sky Talk Anytime €7.50

In addition, you have requested the following calling features:

Caller Display

Withhold Number

Three Way Calling

Call Answering

Call Waiting

The price you pay for your Sky Broadband is conditional on having Sky Broadband and Sky Talk. If you transfer your Sky Talk services to another provider, your Sky Broadband price will increase by €1 a month.

Customer Authorisation

This confirms that you have requested that the following services be switched to Sky from your current provider:

All telephone and broadband services, including your telephone number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

Strange how there is not a mention of it on their website. Still the whole "register your interest" thing. Thought thid would be a big del for sky or are they just sort of "soft" launching it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

seems a good deal alright would like if there was more info out there on it, would defo be interested in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Strange how there is not a mention of it on their website. Still the whole "register your interest" thing. Thought thid would be a big del for sky or are they just sort of "soft" launching it?

Have a look at the Work & Jobs forum . There's a big thread there on $ky recruiting for their Irish sales centre. Some of the posters there were saying they were being assigned to Broadband Sales. Perhaps this is the start.

Here's some of my 'small print' guys.

Outlines clearly the countries included, and to my surprise, it includes mobiles in Canada/USA too.
    The Sky Team.

Sky Talk Calls, Sky Talk Line Rental and your chosen Sky Broadband product each have a 12 month minimum term.

1 Anytime calls of up to an hour to local and national numbers only (excludes calls to Directory Enquiries, indirect access, dial-up Internet numbers and 070 numbers). Unlimited international geographic landline calls of up to an hour to 20 countries (Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Czech Rep, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and USA (also includes calls to mobiles in Canada and USA). Daytime Mon-Fri 7am to 7pm, Evening Mon-Fri after 7pm and before 7am, Weekend all day Sat and Sun. Fair Use Policy applies.

Your rights to cancel

1) If you've ordered directly from us either by telephone or online: (a) you may cancel your order for Sky Talk at any time up to the earlier of the date your Sky Talk service is activated or 8 working days from placing your order with us; (b) you may cancel Sky Broadband at any time up to the earlier of the date your Sky Broadband service is activated and 8 working days from the date you receive your Sky router from us; (c) if you do cancel, we will do our best to stop the order before activation, but in case we cannot you will be able to cancel the service with us or transfer back to your previous provider without penalty. If you cancel and we cannot stop the order before your Sky Talk becomes active you will be responsible for the cost of any calls you make before you leave Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's a soft launch & being rolled out to the masses in the New Year.

2 plans,€17.50 with a 2gb dl limit (can't see anyone that uses the net a good bit going for this) possibly aimed at those who use phone moreso than broadband.

The other plan is €27.50 a month with 'unlimited' downloads FUP applies.Line rental & vat included.

I'd be interested myself but am in contract with VF which works perfectly for me & is €7 more expensive.

Lots of talk about it on broadband forum also.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056821200

In fairness, this can only be good news for end users, expect a price war in new year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Is there any reductions for people that have Sky tv does anyone know or is it necessary to have Sky tv to avail of the broadband??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 Moribund

Just registered an interest there on the sky website. Looks a great deal. Thanks OP:)

Lots of talk about it on broadband forum also.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056821200

In fairness, this can only be good news for end users, expect a price war in new year!

Ghandee, how long ago did you register your interest?

Ghandee, how long ago did you register your interest?

I honestly couldn't tell you tbh.

A few months ago I think.

• Advertisement

I honestly couldn't tell you tbh.

A few months ago I think.

Same as you:) I'd forgotten about it.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I switched today. I had registered interest on sep 10th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

What do they mean by "unlimited download"?
    Im with VF and have a limit of 300gb with line rental for 42euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cs5

Deffo interested in this. We're with Vodafone and they are brutal. Customer Service is appalling. Out of contract with them too so happy days.

Have you had any missed calls from a 'private number' ?

Have you had any missed calls from a 'private number' ?

No, definitely not. And the only calls that we've got to the landline were from funny numbers, and we don't answer them:). I'm assuming I'll eventually get a call. Its not like $ky to let enquiries drop.

• Advertisement

Cool. Looks like a great deal. Currently paying Vodafone €43.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

No, definitely not. And the only calls that we've got to the landline were from funny numbers, and we don't answer them:). I'm assuming I'll eventually get a call. Its not like $ky to let enquiries drop.

I nearly didn't answer cos it did look funny , 18something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

zerks wrote: »

2 plans,€17.50 with a 2gb dl limit (can't see anyone that uses the net a good bit going for this) possibly aimed at those who use phone moreso than broadband.

The other plan is €27.50 a month with 'unlimited' downloads FUP applies.Line rental & vat included.

I'm still confused reading this thread - how can they offer a broadband plan including line rental for less than the cost of standard line rental which I thought was fixed at about €22?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

line rental is approx €26

I'm still confused reading this thread - how can they offer a broadband plan including line rental for less than the cost of standard line rental which I thought was fixed at about €22?

Possibly because they're gouging the shyte out of us on TV subscriptions already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What's the story with ringing mobile phones from landlines with sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

efb wrote: »
    line rental is approx €26

yes, that's what I mean - so I can't see how they are offering broadband for an extra euro or 2...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

i have no landline will sky set one up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Hey mods can we get some threads merging please ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

i have no landline will sky set one up

Whats your current broadband/phone setup?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Dazza wrote: »
    Whats your current broadband/phone setup?
    o2 dongle i have sky digital allright.no phone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

im with NTL, have broadband/phone/tv..

i signed up with sky last week and its being installed on friday..

does this mean that i can sign up to a bundlle or at least get them to install the phone/broadband so i can get rid of UPC all together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Package wrote: »

does this mean that i can sign up to a bundlle or at least get them to install the phone/broadband so i can get rid of UPC all together?
    Dumping UPC broadband would hurt me. They really have it wrapped up with the speeds on offer, if you are fortunate enough to be in a serviced area.

Package wrote: »

If you have broadband via fibre with UPC, then you'd be mad to change to $ky, or indeed any other provider. UPC are miles ahead of everyone else in the broadband game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

yeah but going from 40pm for broadband and 6 for the phone with no calls..

down to

€27.50 a month.

sounds good to me...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement