Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazing broadband/home phone deal from Sky!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

is your address the same as your brothers if he only lives down the road??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'm signed up for €27.50/month also, but when I got the email it included at €1 charge also, anyone else see this, it was not mentioned during the call and I intend to query it if it is on the paperwork I receive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

naughto wrote: »
    is your address the same as your brothers if he only lives down the road??

different estate but same village

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Stinicker wrote: »
    I'm signed up for €27.50/month also, but when I got the email it included at €1 charge also, anyone else see this, it was not mentioned during the call and I intend to query it if it is on the paperwork I receive.
    I'm gonna quote this over on the stingy thread so I am, "they credit you back the euro in the first bill, they have to charge something to put it through their system or something" can't believe the sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

gustafo wrote: »
    different estate but same village

You will provide your brothers Sky account number so they'll have his address. You will then have to provide your UAN which may show your address with it when they perform the line test. Two different addresses...
    If caught out, your brothers Sky account may have unfortunate repercussions after a blatant attempt to scam Sky.

Just something you should consider.

Also, how did your brother get Sky without a landline? I thought that was a requirement to get Sky setup first time?

BrianHal wrote: »
    You will provide your brothers Sky account number so they'll have his address. You will then have to provide your UAN which may show your address with it when they perform the line test. Two different addresses...
    If caught out, your brothers Sky account may have unfortunate repercussions after a blatant attempt to scam Sky.

Just something you should consider.

Also, how did your brother get Sky without a landline? I thought that was a requirement to get Sky setup first time?

he never had a landline since he bought the house so not sure how he got around that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

No worries guys!
    Hope i helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Nope, they may hit you with a charge for not having one though. Sometimes they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

gustafo wrote: »
    he never had a landline since he bought the house so not sure how he got around that.

So you have no problem stealing a service from Sky?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Stinicker wrote: »

They are required by comreg to charge something for line rental so they put it down as €1 on your bill but you'll be credited it back.

@ the posters asking about Sky tv without a landline,it's been the norm for years not to need one to get Sky tv installed unless you wanted multiroom.

• Advertisement

So you have no problem stealing a service from Sky?:rolleyes:

no problem what so ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Sky charge €30 something to install a single digibox without a phone line.He's not stealing anything.

If you want multi-room you have to connect every box to a phone line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sky until you die

Forget all that multiroom crap!!

Sky BB is here, its cheap and its good!! Take advantage while you can phone the number and have your UAN handy , you will find it on top of your Eircom bill or page 3 of your vodafone bill!!

Ph this number at 8:30am tomorrow - 0818719895

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

naughto wrote: »
    i signed up a few months back have being getting a missed call of a private number the last week or so and a 6 digit number 99600 or some thing like that.
    i rang the number 0818719895 and got through to there broadband section
    every thing was going grand untill they spotted that the sky account was in my wifes name so they would only deal with her but shes at work wo ill will have to wait untill shes get home,they are going to do a call back as well.

u will need you sky account number
    uan number
    and the number of your land line.
    i live in mayo cartwell

Did you have the password on the account ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭mike2084

I signed up to this Sky offer after a call from them but I tried making the point that I was on an eircom contract up to next August but the rep made out that wouldn't be much of a problem. He said that eircom are to ring us about it in the next day or two. Now after reading stuff posted online I reckon that the eircom penalty could be around €700 which makes it a pretty expensive bargain. Bit worried about it now and want to warn people of a potentially dangerous pitfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Thats incorrect.UPC don't use a phone line to deliver their broadband and phone services,they deliver it through a co-ax cable through their TV point.

So the poster you answered who cancelled Eircom to join UPC wouldn't have an active Eircom line for Sky to deliver broadband on.They would have to pay for Eircom to activate the line and be tied into a 6 month contract with them paying line rental.

As per my post above - Sky will be able to activate the line when the trial period ends which is in about a month. They currently don't have engineers available to do it at this time but will be able to later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Trampas

signed up for €10 a month and should be set up in a few weeks.

Someone else is trying to set up but can't remember their sky account password which sky ask. Anyway of retrieving this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sky until you die

If you dont know your password then they will ask you something else.

The lines are open so people need to get a move on!!

Call the below number and say you registered before and missed a call from them and this number ws left onyour voicemail

PHONE: 0818719895

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

mike2084 wrote: »
    I signed up to this Sky offer after a call from them but I tried making the point that I was on an eircom contract up to next August but the rep made out that wouldn't be much of a problem. He said that eircom are to ring us about it in the next day or two. Now after reading stuff posted online I reckon that the eircom penalty could be around €700 which makes it a pretty expensive bargain. Bit worried about it now and want to warn people of a potentially dangerous pitfall.
    I am in contract with Eircom till April..it's costing me just over €100 to get out of it but I knew that before ringing Sky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

I finished up with Eircom a few months ago but I think I heard before that the phone line dosen't de-activate until 6 months after,Have no bill and can't login online so going to ring up and see if I can acquire it somehow.Do Sky not have information on the phone line from when they install the box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

Somebody posted in another thread that eircom require 30 days notice to cancel their service? Sky never mentioned this? I thought they would take care of it without penalty from eircom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

My phone-lines non existent anyway so no dice.

A friend signed up yesterday evening and was told that last night was the end of the offer period. Was anyone able to sign up this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

Was anyone able to sign up this morning?

Yep still good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Just signed up there very straight forward. I hope its as good as it says. I went for the unlimited broadband with off-peak calls for €20 per month. Unbelievable price for a year and I will see what they come up with then. Thanks for the number. This really is a bargain alert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭mike2084

My own fears about the eircom cancellation fee were well founded my contract cancellation fee was €324. That I'm sure you'll all agree is not much of a saving. So I used my 7-day cooling off period to cancel the Sky order and to be fair to them they were fine about it. I told them to ring me back in July so I could consider anything they might be offering then. So again, just a word of warning to those in contracts, you may get a nasty surprise if you switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

mike2084 wrote: »
    My own fears about the eircom cancellation fee were well founded my contract cancellation fee was €324. That I'm sure you'll all agree is not much of a saving. So I used my 7-day cooling off period to cancel the Sky order and to be fair to them they were fine about it. I told them to ring me back in July so I could consider anything they might be offering then. So again, just a word of warning to those in contracts, you may get a nasty surprise if you switch.
    Thanks for That, I haven't switched but I had asked that question here the other day as I'm still under contract with Eircom. That's quite a cancellation fee!

Gee_G wrote: »
    Thanks for That, I haven't switched but I had asked that question here the other day as I'm still under contract with Eircom. That's quite a cancellation fee!

Does the cancelation fee depend on what's left on your contract or is it a flat fee?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

BArra wrote: »
    Somebody posted in another thread that eircom require 30 days notice to cancel their service? Sky never mentioned this? I thought they would take care of it without penalty from eircom?

I hope this 30 days is not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

When I rang Eircom to tell them I was moving my BB and phone,the lady said I HAD to write a letter to some address in Marlborough Street Dublin to tell them my services were being moved and I HAD to give 30 days notice.However,Sky have been telling some customers that they will look after this.I sent a letter and an email to Eircom just in case they try hit me with sneaky charges..........cos they are going to lose a lot of customers to Sky(and rightly so!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Does the cancelation fee depend on what's left on your contract or is it a flat fee?
    I don't know, you could be better off calling them To double check, because it certainly wouldn't be worth paying that much to leave a few months early!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Remaining months X monthly tariff.

Remaining months X monthly tariff.

That is what I had assumed

I am out of contract with eircom but I rang them and they said if I changed provider without telling them I would incur a fee of 25e for the phone and 25e for the broadband. Even though I'm out of contract?

Sky said they would take care of everything so if I do get charged this I will be requesting credit from sky..

I am out of contract with eircom but I rang them and they said if I changed provider without telling them I would incur a fee of 25e for the phone and 25e for the broadband. Even though I'm out of contract?

Sky said they would take care of everything so if I do get charged this I will be requesting credit from sky..

You should tell Eircom that you will report them to Comreg, NCA & on every internet forum you have access to. That may soften their cough. Robbing ba***rds:(.

toby2111 wrote: »
    When I rang Eircom to tell them I was moving my BB and phone,the lady said I HAD to write a letter to some address in Marlborough Street Dublin to tell them my services were being moved and I HAD to give 30 days notice.However,Sky have been telling some customers that they will look after this.I sent a letter and an email to Eircom just in case they try hit me with sneaky charges..........cos they are going to lose a lot of customers to Sky(and rightly so!)

When you are porting, the incomming provider normally arranges all transfers. I suspect this is a reaction by Eircom to squeeze every last cent out of their customer:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i am due a payment out next week from eircom , sky should be just about working by then, i will cancel my direct debit after this payment and see what they try to charge me, and see myself how much i will pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I got a call last Thursday and agreed to switch to Sky broadband. They told me id have the router within 5 working days. Its been 5 days now and nothing has come.

Anyone in the same boat?

Give them a call Hogsy

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Fathead

http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/switching_fixed_telephony(landlines)___exercise_your_choice.232.LE.asp

Some good info here namely:

Do I have to tell my existing provider that I am switching?

In general, you do not need to tell them unless your current contract requires you to give them cancellation notice. Check the terms and conditions of your current contract to see if this is required

Should I cancel or terminate my telephone service with my existing service provider?

When a subscriber is switching their phone service between a telephone network operator and a cable network operator that offers phone services or vice versa, and you wish to continue using your existing telephone number. Then you should not terminate or cancel your telephone service with your current retail service provider before consulting with your new retail service provider.

• Advertisement

Yes but its prob in eircoms terms to give them notice and if not you are charged

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

oh my god - unlimited broadband and talk anytime €17.50..was paying €50 with vodafone and had 40gb download cap (none with sky)

One draw back, sky dont offer static IP addresses yet, but saving over €250 a year, think ill sacrafice the static ip....

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Hogzy wrote: »
    I got a call last Thursday and agreed to switch to Sky broadband. They told me id have the router within 5 working days. Its been 5 days now and nothing has come.

Anyone in the same boat?

Have you checked the status of your order on my.sky.com

Go to 'My Account' > 'Order Tracking' which should show you the status.

Max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

You should tell Eircom that you will report them to Comreg, NCA & on every internet forum you have access to. That may soften their cough. Robbing ba***rds:(.

If you did not sign anything and you're out of contract legally it would not be worth their time bringing you to court (for fifty euros) this just a scare tactic a way of extracting money from people.

Anyway a letter takes a few minutes to write to tell them you're leaving, not that big of a deal really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hogzy wrote: »

Anyone in the same boat?

I ordered last Wednesday and its still showing as processing.

maximus02 wrote: »
    Have you checked the status of your order on my.sky.com

Go to 'My Account' > 'Order Tracking' which should show you the status.

Max

I only ordered last Monday but my BB and Hub status is that its still being processed. That's before ever getting to the "will be dispatched shortly" stage which follows.
    The Sky guy on the phone on Monday mentioned something in passing about the Hub being posted that evening of the following day (tues) and it was coming from Scotland.
    A few pages back in the forum, I recall someone writing about Sky not posting the router until the 7 day cooling off period is over.

Anyone know which I should follow up on? Postage after expiring of cool off period or enquire now about order status? I know it's only been three days but the order status hasn't changed since 30seconds after I placed the order no Monday.

I'm in the same boat, ordered Monday and order status has not changed in any way since then

If you give them a call let us know what they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm in the same boat, ordered Monday and order status has not changed in any way since then

Monday of this week? My status hasnt changed since placing it Wednesday of last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Give it a bit of time lads. They have probably been snowed under and bear in mind that Sky were to call people and not the other way round so no doubt they are flat out processing the orders.

• Advertisement

I might give them a shout tomorrow. But going from adox's comment, not much will change by then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement